Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Blue baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Jet Blue baggage allowance

I was just looking at the jetBlue website and I noticed that the baggage allowance is two pieces up to 70lbs each. Does anyone know when that went into effect, as far as i remember the last time i flew with jetBlue I was told that the policy had changed to 50lbs per bag.
I think it was as of Oct 05 that they went down to 50 pounds
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bigez747
I was just looking at the jetBlue website and I noticed that the baggage allowance is two pieces up to 70lbs each. Does anyone know when that went into effect, as far as i remember the last time i flew with jetBlue I was told that the policy had changed to 50lbs per bag.
I think it was as of Oct 05 that they went down to 50 pounds
Nope, jetBlue is still one of the most generous airlines in the country when it comes to checked baggage allowance. If I'm not mistaken, the old rule was up to 3 bags up to 70 lbs. each....now it's up to 2 bags, still up to 70 lbs. each. I think the only jetBlue flights that are 50 lbs. per bag are Caribbean routes. All other domestic flights are 2 bags at 70 lbs. each.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, DL
I just saw on their website they are changing domestic checked baggage to 50 lbs a piece... I was planning to fly JB in November to connect to an international flight with an airline that allows 70 lb bags. Anybody have any suggestions? Might they make exceptions for a connection such as this?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:45 pm

JetBlue will have a month-long grace period, much like they did when they dropped 3 bags to 2 - this now aligns JetBlue with most airlines in the US.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by a330300
JetBlue will have a month-long grace period, much like they did when they dropped 3 bags to 2 - this now aligns JetBlue with most airlines in the US.
Except that JetBlue will be a little less severe about 'small' overages, charging only $20 for bags weighing 51-70 pounds. 71-100 pound bags will see fees more in line with other airlines at $50 a bag.

I do remember the good ol' days, when I once lugged 3 enormous bags on a cross-country flight that weighed roughly 200 pounds combined, free of charge.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
This switch in baggage allowances, along with lower fuel prices will definitely help improve jetBlue's bottom line. Oil is now at $63/barrel - although still high, it is a MAJOR relief from the previous high of around $78/barrel. I wonder if now would be a good opportunity to do some fuel hedging once again...but who knows because it is a gamble. Fuel might fall to $50 and it might climb to $150. Hopefully it will stay where it is or fall even lower.

Either way, I would say the MAJORITY of those who travel by air do not have bags over 50 lbs. For those that do, $20 is not the end of the world - considering the low price of air travel, especially on jetBlue. Years ago, fares were through the roof. Due to competition, fares are on average still lower (not than last year but from years ago.)

The negative aspect is that due to the new security measures with no liquids allowed for carry on, checked bags weigh more.

Flights that are not domestic now allow 70 lbs. The fee for overweight/oversize bags will be a small amount of income - however every bit of revenue in the industry helps!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA, DL
My situation is this... I am flying with my wife and two children back to our overseas home and thus will be trying to maximise the amount that we can carry. Our international flight allows 70 lbs, and we chose this itinerary with the plan that we would fly JetBlue to connect with our international flight, this when JetBlue was still allowing 70 lb. a bag. I may try calling to see if they will put it on my record to allow the 70 lb. bags. If not I may considering skipping the JB flight and driving (I have not booked the flight yet). With the possibility of having to pay $20 a bag for 70 lb pieces it is just not worth it to me when I can make the drive. Including the airfare and the baggage charges it runs up close to $400. Then JetBlue gets none of my money...
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by AandT
My situation is this... I am flying with my wife and two children back to our overseas home and thus will be trying to maximise the amount that we can carry. Our international flight allows 70 lbs, and we chose this itinerary with the plan that we would fly JetBlue to connect with our international flight, this when JetBlue was still allowing 70 lb. a bag. I may try calling to see if they will put it on my record to allow the 70 lb. bags. If not I may considering skipping the JB flight and driving (I have not booked the flight yet). With the possibility of having to pay $20 a bag for 70 lb pieces it is just not worth it to me when I can make the drive. Including the airfare and the baggage charges it runs up close to $400. Then JetBlue gets none of my money...
First option - I would definitely give the friendly folks over at 1-800-JETBLUE a try. 9 out of 10 times they are very understanding in situations like these and will go out of their way to help the customer. If you have no luck, simply ask to speak with a supervisor. I'm sure if you kindly explain your unique situation, they will accomodate you. Second option, tell "speak up" on jetBlue.com your situation ONLY IF 1-800-JETBLUE does not help you.

Question: I just don't see how driving to JFK could cost less in gas alone than paying the $20 bag fee. Where do you currently live? I'm sure you would end up spending much, much more in gas AND parking at JFK then the $20 for an overweight bag.

jetBlue does not have an agreement with any international airline, however there was tlak of an international alliance earlier this year possibly being announce by late 06/early 07 so who knows. Either way, this same issue occurs when people fly to say Europe on BA where you can check up to 70 lbs. and then fly within Europe on RyanAir where the checked baggage maximum weight is SOOOO small (I forgot what it was but it was much less than the standard 50 lbs. here in the states.) They nickle and dime you there. 20 bucks is not that bad...but I'm sure if you really try, you could get it waived by calling in advance. Plus, will you really be at exactly 70 lbs? You might only have 60 lbs. for instance.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.