Wiki Posts
Search

AUS-BOS anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
Question AUS-BOS anyone?

I used to fly DL, UA, and AA for traveling between Austin and Boston, but now with B6's new N/S, I've made my first ever B6 booking. Has anyone flown it? Yes, the BOS-AUS leg is at an ungodly hour of 6:45am, but I'm specifically looking for comments on:

- on-time departure. 6:45am is when so many of the AA flights leave for Latin America from BOS, so hopefully there isn't much competing air traffic for the runways
- comfort. Is an E190 (RJ+?) really adequate for a 4hr flight
- in flight. I've never flown B6 before, but for a 4hr flight at that time a day I would expect breakfast or a breakfast-type snack. Am I expecting too much? I guess I may have to get some breakfast burritos to go!
- check-in time. 45 minutes should be enough if I'm checking bags, right?
- company. I'm flying on a Friday morning. Has anyone flown this and can comment on % seats filled?

TIA.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sowalsky
I used to fly DL, UA, and AA for traveling between Austin and Boston, but now with B6's new N/S, I've made my first ever B6 booking. Has anyone flown it? Yes, the BOS-AUS leg is at an ungodly hour of 6:45am, but I'm specifically looking for comments on:

- on-time departure. 6:45am is when so many of the AA flights leave for Latin America from BOS, so hopefully there isn't much competing air traffic for the runways
- in flight. I've never flown B6 before, but for a 4hr flight at that time a day I would expect breakfast or a breakfast-type snack. Am I expecting too much? I guess I may have to get some breakfast burritos to go!
- company. I'm flying on a Friday morning. Has anyone flown this and can comment on % seats filled?

TIA.
I've flown this segment a few times and I have loved working the flight! To answer your questions

-Very few if any delays in the morning for the departing flight. I'll bet you do leave early and arrive even earlier
-Comfort is not an issue! The 190s are 2by2 with all leather seats. I believe the seating pitch is around 34" through out the aircraft.
-No breakfast snak, just our usually snack choices; Terra Blue Potato chips, Animal Crackers, Almond Biscotii, Oatmeal Rasin Cookies, Cashews. You are welcomed to eat as many of our snacks as you desire. You shouldn't leave our aircraft hungry!
-45minutes will be plenty of time for your checked bags!
-The flight has been around 80% full for this month. I don't know when you are leaving so I can't comment specifically.

Just post if you have any questions and I'll try and answer to the best of my ability.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info!

My outbound from BOS is on Sept 22. Saturday is a U-Texas football game so I guess there might be some roudy fans crowding the plane. I guess this flight is too new to have any metrics for seat occupancy on football weekends.

If you're working that flight I'll have to introduce myself.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks for the helpful info!

My outbound from BOS is on Sept 22. Saturday is a U-Texas football game so I guess there might be some roudy fans crowding the plane. I guess this flight is too new to have any metrics for seat occupancy on football weekends.

If you're working that flight I'll have to introduce myself.
All flights on any airline on a Friday, even in the morning, tend to be busy. You might get lucky though.

The E190 is VERY comfortable - try and score an exit row if you can for even more legroom! By the way, I noticed you want to check in 45 minutes before with bags to check? Even at that hour, it is taking a small risk because the door closes 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. That's allowing 30 minutets to check your bags, get your boarding pass, go through securtity and get to your gate. I would reccomend arriving at BOS at least 1 hr. prior - those 15 minutes might make all the difference in your favor!

Enjoy your first jetBlue flight...can't wait to hear how it goes!
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:55 pm

Two of the best cities in the USA and one of the best airlines for the journey... I cannot find anything wrong with that scenario ;-)
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
Two of the best cities in the USA and one of the best airlines for the journey... I cannot find anything wrong with that scenario ;-)
Plus, I don't know if it's just me but I think it's funny to say I'm flying BOSTON/AUSTIN or AUSTIN/BOSTON!
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the pointers everyone. I'll be sure to write up at least a little blurb about how it goes.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Plus, I don't know if it's just me but I think it's funny to say I'm flying BOSTON/AUSTIN or AUSTIN/BOSTON!
Reminds me of the most memorible like in Road Trip, "He said he's going to Austin, Austin, Massachusetts."

"Don't you mean Boston, Massachusetts?"
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:22 pm
Suspended

TIA.
Done the flight to JFK--LOVE the 190.

The departure times simply don't work for Boston, however.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Reminds me of the most memorible like in Road Trip, "He said he's going to Austin, Austin, Massachusetts."

"Don't you mean Boston, Massachusetts?"
It's such a great movie.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by blueeyes_austin
Done the flight to JFK--LOVE the 190.

The departure times simply don't work for Boston, however.
I've noticed that B6 has had a lot of obscure departure times. BOS/AUS is one of them. JFK to PHX/ONT/PDX/SEA are all evening flights our and red eyes back. I know they do well with them but still your losing some of the market who still prefers the day time flights. Is there any word on adding a perminant day time flight? I know 3 of the 4 cities had seasonal-summer flights during the day.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c
I've noticed that B6 has had a lot of obscure departure times. BOS/AUS is one of them. JFK to PHX/ONT/PDX/SEA are all evening flights our and red eyes back. I know they do well with them but still your losing some of the market who still prefers the day time flights. Is there any word on adding a perminant day time flight? I know 3 of the 4 cities had seasonal-summer flights during the day.
I'm sure that jetBlue's management has crunched all the numbers in terms of adding a day time flight permanantly on these routes. Every SHUTEYE (no more redeye) flight I have been on with them, believe it or not, has been over 90% full. It looks like PHX might stay at 2x daily throughout the year. However, there is just not enough traffic to have 2x daily to ONT, PDX and SEA year round. It would be great, but those markets are just not large enough. Gaining market share does not always translate to profits. It's just better to utilize the airplane on a shuteye than let it rest at the gate over night, not generating any revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.