Wiki Posts
Search

XM on the A320

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Exclamation XM on the A320

XM has been installed in the first A320, and the aircraft (N521JB) enters revenue service with the system tomorrow! Now, the downside... For about 2 weeks, in order to test and certify XM on the A320, the DIRECTV system will be deactivated on this airplane. While the plane will be used as a spare during this time, it will be out there. As a consolation, when it has to be used, the plane will be stocked with a complement of magazines and passengers will be issued vouchers of $5-$15, depending on the length of the flight, to make up for the loss. The price of progress, but it'll make the inflight entertainment even better in the long run...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, OnePass
Oh my. Life is so strange in that in order for the XM to work, the TV can't work. If I were a customer on such a flight, I would be very upset. Sure, it's cool to listen to music, but watching TV on a plane is much more exciting and appealing to the customer.

It's good that JetBlue is offering vouchers, but I just hope they are enough to make up for the disappointment that passengers will face when they find out the one of the central draws to JetBlue is not there.

And, please don't flame me and tell me to go away; I'm just stating my opinion.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by sulsk
Oh my. Life is so strange in that in order for the XM to work, the TV can't work. If I were a customer on such a flight, I would be very upset. Sure, it's cool to listen to music, but watching TV on a plane is much more exciting and appealing to the customer.

It's good that JetBlue is offering vouchers, but I just hope they are enough to make up for the disappointment that passengers will face when they find out the one of the central draws to JetBlue is not there.

And, please don't flame me and tell me to go away; I'm just stating my opinion.
Everyone is entitled their opinion, but when you come on here once every 3 months and talk bad about one tiny, stupid thing then your opinion is worthless and ridiculous.

Yes, life is strange...and it is not jetBlue's fault. That's why, if this is true, it is only for 2 weeks! Big deal. Plus, it is being used as a spare aircraft...that means it won't be in the system anywhere near 12-14 hours a day...if used at all. There are a few other spares in the fleet, so this one will be low down on the list if needed.

If you were on such a flight you would be extremely upset? Please, get real! You told us how you prefer Delta...they don't offer anything at all!!!!! For 2 short weeks AND as a spare...the very few customers on this flight I'm sure will be happy with 15 bucks, 100 channels of XM, 3 Fox Premium InFlight movies? and as always, leather seats, free snacks and smiles from friendly crewmembers!

sulsk, it's not even up for further discussion!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
all i want to say is.... took them long enough! I've been waiting for XM on the 320s for like....since they annouced it! hehe. ^
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: JetBlue Trueblue, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Mileageplus, AAdvantage, Starwood Preferred Guest
I wouldn't mind on a short flight (for example, BTV to JFK). I really don't even get to watch a whole TV program anyway. But I'd be rather upset on a longer flight, such as my JFK to LGB flight in October. Though, at the same time, I am hoping to have XM on that flight. I used to have XM when I spent a lot of time in the car and loved it. Now I can't justify it, but I did enjoy it the one time I flew on an E190. If there wasn't anything on TV, I could always find something on XM or vice-versa.

Just a thought, would Fox Inflight Movies work? I don't see why not. I definately wouldn't mind if jetBlue offered XM and also a free movie, along with a coupon.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:15 am

TWO weeks, that's 14 days, for ONE plane, a SPARE... deal with it comes to mind?

Good post op! thanks for the news ^
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:48 am

So ONE A320 now has XM radio and it is a spare?? We are flying on a A320 out of JAX this week, just wondering what ours will have. Want to prepare the kids for any disappointments. I hope it has Direct TV!? I thought they were to begin putting in XM end of 2005 as the Jetblue site states. ??
Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 20cents
So ONE A320 now has XM radio and it is a spare?? We are flying on a A320 out of JAX this week, just wondering what ours will have. Want to prepare the kids for any disappointments. I hope it has Direct TV!? I thought they were to begin putting in XM end of 2005 as the Jetblue site states. ??
Thanks for any info.
The chances of your flight out of JAX this week being that one spare without the XM are very, very, very slim. There's about 100 A320's in the fleet so I am pretty sure you will avoid that one. Your flight will have 36 channels of FREE DirecTV, 5 Fox Premium InFlight movies for 5 bucks and the map on channel 13...so not to worry.

It's possible that they ran into technical issue with putting the XM on the A320 fleet but the entire fleet is being retrofitted with it. Right now, every E190 has it and all the A320's will have it sooner or later along with the nicer, newer screens.

Welcome to flyertalk!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
The chances of your flight out of JAX this week being that one spare without the XM are very, very, very slim. There's about 100 A320's in the fleet so I am pretty sure you will avoid that one. Your flight will have 36 channels of FREE DirecTV, 5 Fox Premium InFlight movies for 5 bucks and the map on channel 13...so not to worry.

It's possible that they ran into technical issue with putting the XM on the A320 fleet but the entire fleet is being retrofitted with it. Right now, every E190 has it and all the A320's will have it sooner or later along with the nicer, newer screens.

Welcome to flyertalk!
Thanks for the info! This will be our first Jetblue flight. Just hoping it goes as planned, I hate stressing over everything!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by 20cents
Thanks for the info! This will be our first Jetblue flight. Just hoping it goes as planned, I hate stressing over everything!
Have a great flight...I'm sure you will enjoy the jetBlue experience, just as much as I always do! Just so you know, I am nothing more than a very loyal customer!

Let us know how your flights go...a mini trip report would be greatly appreciated.

If you're traveling with kids, as you say, let them know at the gate and they might be able to get you in row 1 or 2 for faster boarding/deplaning. Rows 13-26 have an extra 2" seat pitch though. Also, the inflight crewmembers will be happy to assist you with placing your bags in the overhead bins (which by the way are larger storage spaces than on other airlines).

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Have a great flight...I'm sure you will enjoy the jetBlue experience, just as much as I always do! Just so you know, I am nothing more than a very loyal customer!

Let us know how your flights go...a mini trip report would be greatly appreciated.

If you're traveling with kids, as you say, let them know at the gate and they might be able to get you in row 1 or 2 for faster boarding/deplaning. Rows 13-26 have an extra 2" seat pitch though. Also, the inflight crewmembers will be happy to assist you with placing your bags in the overhead bins (which by the way are larger storage spaces than on other airlines).

Have a great trip!
We have 2 seats in each of rows 14 and 15, I think, for the extra space! I think I read this tip on here when I was lurking months ago. Kids are 15 and 11, so they can deal with slower boarding/deplaning (though I am the eager, impatient one! )

I will be happy to do a trip report when we get back from NY! I hope it is ALL positive! We are driving a couple hours to take this direct flight and saving $450 over delta! Thanks again for your help!
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:51 am

how many a320's with XM

anyone have an update as to how many A320's are equippped with XM?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA *G
And are the new big screens fleetwide now? I just flew on one the other day, while it's a small thing, I could definiteliy notice the difference.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Well, it is good news. XM radio is great. Kudos to JBLU!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.