Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP for the Newbie please?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:06 am
Original Poster

HELP for the Newbie please?

I'm an AA PLAT veteran - well AA has now for the winter removed it's red eye flights to Chicago which has screwed my getting to the east coast for a needed upcoming trip - as I cannot fly during the day....sooooo...

On the AA forum they suggested Jet Blue.... after going to the website I don't understand, see or find some info

How can I tell what kind of plane I will be on? A320 SEA-JFK but I am continuing on the SYR (how do you know the plane type in advance of a booking?)

I attempted to do a dummy booking and I don't see where and when you can pick your seat - can you pick seats on this airline in advance? Thanks everyone
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
It's pretty safe to say that SYR is going to be on an A320... but as a passenger, I don't see whats wrong with the E190, their both GREAT planes and just as comfortable and the E190 is nothing like the other Embraer commuter / regional jets. In fact, the E190 have more legroom and have wider seats than the coach seats on a (pick any aircraft in American's fleet) with American Airlines. By the way, jetBlue doesn't offer Red Eye service, they offer Shut Eye service hehe. Downside with jetBlue is you cant pick your seat before booking your flight, however, you can always call 1800jetBlue and they can tell you what seats are open. I would do anything thats row 11 and higher.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by joeytay
I'm an AA PLAT veteran - well AA has now for the winter removed it's red eye flights to Chicago which has screwed my getting to the east coast for a needed upcoming trip - as I cannot fly during the day....sooooo...

On the AA forum they suggested Jet Blue.... after going to the website I don't understand, see or find some info

How can I tell what kind of plane I will be on? A320 SEA-JFK but I am continuing on the SYR (how do you know the plane type in advance of a booking?)

I attempted to do a dummy booking and I don't see where and when you can pick your seat - can you pick seats on this airline in advance? Thanks everyone
As noted earlier you can't look at the seat map before you've purchased your ticket.

jetBlue flies two types of planes, the A320 (which would fly SEA-JFK) and the E-190.

Although I'm not sure if you would fly an E-190 JFK-SYR, this is not a regional jet. It's a real mainline plane, albeit in 2-2 configuration, which means no middle seats. You can stand up, there is real overhead storage, and the seats are comfortable, there is good legroom and, of course, PTV and satellite radio.

Either way you will have a terrific flying experience.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Welcome to the jetBlue experience! The SEA-JFK flight will be operated on the A320. I have flown flight 86 and usually everyone sleeps - but the flight is definitely more enjoyable than other transcons I have taken with other airlines.

As far as JFK-SYR, chances are an A320 as well, but I think they might operate 1x daily on the E190 - still an awesome, comfortable plane!

As my fellow posters stated above, you can't view the seat maps before purchase but they will gladly tell you what seats are available if you call. However, hint hint - I spoke with a very reliable source at jetBlue recently, and the feature of viewing seat maps before purchase will be introduced soon!!! As jetBlue is in the process of changing their reservation system, this will be available some time by Q2-2007 the lates!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by joeytay

If you are really concerned about the plane before purchase, (I wouldn't be, as I have flown both and I actually prefer the 190 to the 320) you can look at the flight numbers of the flights of your choice. Any flight # under 1000 will be operated by a 320, while a # equal or above 1000 will be 190.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Good info and thanks very much everyone. I am excited to try the E190 so I hope that I can someday get on it soon.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
As of right now SYR is strictly airbus. The 190 cannot support the loads we take in and out of that city. Loads are constantly above 130.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.