Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Employment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue Employment Questions

I am considering working in Airport operations for JetBlue. Training involves
approx. 3 weeks at their training school in Orlando. I understand there are tests given at the training. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the testing is like.
Difficult?

Also, is JetBlue a good place to work? Can you advance there? The pay isn't the best, which is ok, if there is a real chance of advancement within the company.

One last thing, does anyone know what the accomodations are like while you are training. I understand everyone gets their own room. This must be close to, or at the airport, correct? Is it a motel or hotel?

TIA....
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:28 pm

All I can tell you is my cousin works for jetBlue, he really likes it.I'll ask him about the accomodations, if he knows.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:29 am
Original Poster

JetBlue Employment

Thank you.... Any info. would be great.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:54 pm

I used to work for JetBlue. Because it is a young , growing company, there is great opportunity for promotions.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS
I am also considering working for JetBlue. Does anybody know the payscale for their "Customer Service Crew" Positions? I hear that the work environment and the people are great at JetBlue (compared to other airlines). What is the application process like? Thanks for any info!

momofthree - May I ask what you did at JetBlue and why you left?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:47 pm

I am not sure what the pay is like for the customer services reps at the airport. I was a reservations agent. The pay is not not great. There is an raise after your annual review every year. I left JetBlue about 5 months ago because I had a baby. I still hold out hopes of maybe going back someday when my daughter is older.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:44 am

I was a CSA for JetBlue from 5/04 to 3/05 and did my training @ JetBlue University's Long Beach campus....

Training was for about 3 weeks - we stayed at the Residence Inn there, one studio per person. Tests required 90% or so and they are strict about it - several people were sent home.

Overall, I enjoyed the work at JetBlue. The opportunities for advancement are slim in my opinion. The company doesn't offer many opportunities for agents to learn and discover outside basic CSA training, and I believe that advancement occurs through networking moreso than qualifications.

From day one you will drink the blue juice - conformity conformity conformity! You will get little gifts and a lot of email - communication is a strength at JetBlue. Everything is run by the "values" of the company which can be a very ambiguous thing. In my case, I believe that the "values" were taken out of context and that my local management refused to give me a fair evaluation.

Starting pay at my station was $10.50 + $0.50 evening shift differential. This may vary based on geographic location.

Hope this gives some insight as working as a "JetBlue Crewmember" at a "BlueCity" doing "BlueTurns" boarding "customers" all after attending "JetBlue University".
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:09 am

Programs: AS
Thanks for the abundance of info foxnine!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Question about working for JetBlue

Hi All,

I am currently applying to JetBlue for a position, and have a few questions (I know we have some FAs and other employees here on FT).

I currently work running my own business, but have enough free time (and certainly enough interest in aviation) to pick up a job part time, and I noticed recently that JetBlue had an opening for a PT Airport Ops position. I sent in my application and resume, and ended up getting an email a few days later asking me to call an 800 number for an automated phone interview.

I have since completed the phone interview, and am waiting to hear if things go any further. In the mean time, I am curious what other steps there are to the application process (i.e. does basically everyone get invited to do the phone interview, or is it a selective group?).

Also, if I were to theoretically get the position, would I complete training at the JetBlue Uni in MCO, or is that just for FAs, etc? If so, what kind of training period would we be looking at for an Airport Ops position? I live about 2 hours from MCO, and would prefer not to relocate temporarily - I wouldn't mind the commute if it's just for a week or 2, but is it mandatory to be located there full time during the training?

Any insight from those who have been through the process would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sunshine-state; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
i used to work at Jetblue Airport Ops..actually im trying to go back and pick up an extra job. College tuition is getting too high!

Anyways. When i did the hiring process they didn't have the automated phone interview in place yet. But I'm guessing that some from the forest hills office will contact you if you further if they're interested and set you up with a formal interview at your local airport.

After that you'll have to go through a pretty extensive background check for security and a drug screen. After the interview& checks they'll make decision.

As to training everyone goes to MCO training center even airport operations positions..which there are positives and negatives. I agree that everyone should get the same training..but i think the costs involve are huge to send crewmembers to MCO when these types of jobs have such a high turnover rate. (Though it's a good vacation-sorta you have nights and weekends to do whatever) Jetblue will pay for lodging, $40 per diem for food, and training is paid full time. Training will last about 2.5 weeks. Pretty much everyone passes the training...though there were 1 or 2 in my session that were sent home unfortunately. most of the training are tutorials done online. YOu will have an instructor though! You'll learn how to use the res/checkin systems( which still uses like a DOS aged program) I didn't learn anything that i couldn't learn back at my home station...but it was nice to meet other crewmembers from all over the country.

2 hours away from MCO is quite a distance. I'm assuming you live in tampa? If i were you i would stay in MCO during the weekdays and go home on weekends...the distance is a bit far to commute everyday. Training starts at 9 AM ends around 4 or 5.

if you have further questions just ask!

Last edited by aaron1262; Jan 25, 2009 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
aaron,

Thanks so much for all that information - since the system has changed since you went through it, it's hard to tell exactly where I'm at in the new process, so if anyone else has had recent experience with the actual steps in the hiring process, I'd be glad to hear about that.

I'm actually not in TPA, but for now, I'd rather not mention the exact city in which I'm applying, just to keep things anonymous. If we're looking at over 2 weeks of training, you're right that 4 hours of commuting everyday would probably get old pretty fast, so staying down there during the week might be the way to go. I'm excited about the prospect of getting the job, really just for my interest in the field - I don't really need the job/money, I've just had a lot of CS experience in the past and would love to be able to learn more about the industry.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Dress inappropriately

Just be sure to dress more provocatively or else the gate agent won't let you on the plane.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...=61708202.blog
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by SDCA
Just be sure to dress more provocatively or else the gate agent won't let you on the plane.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...=61708202.blog
Your post is a complete non sequitur from the OP and the rest of the thread. IMO, rather than try to find a witty way to just "throw that in there," you might have a better chance of opening up an actual discussion if you started a new thread.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Aaron was right on with everything. Just want to add that for this position you will also take a PAT (physical abilities test) around the same time as the drug test/background check, should you make it to that point. The PAT for Airport Ops (customer service/inside) is a lot easier than the PAT for Ground Ops (ramp). Basically, you will need to show that you can lift up to 70 lbs. (ie. a customer's bag)

Best of luck!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by caphis
Your post is a complete non sequitur from the OP and the rest of the thread. IMO, rather than try to find a witty way to just "throw that in there," you might have a better chance of opening up an actual discussion if you started a new thread.
The OP asked a question about being an "employee" of the airline. My statement was an incident regarding an "employee" of JetBlue.

Ok. I will start another thread regarding "employee" of JetBlue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.