Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

BUR-JFK, Short Runways = Passenger Cap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:55 am
Original Poster

I chatted with a JetBlue FA on a flight the other day and she mentioned that the new Burbank - JFK flights would have middle seats in rows 4-10 blocked, most likely as a move to woo the clientele usually flying F and to cope with the short runways @ BUR.

It is probably important to note that while these seats are blocked, it's not a guarantee that they will be open.

JetBlue blocks rows 1-3, 12DEF (exit row) and 26DEF (onboard wheelchair stowage) usually reserved for airport assignment and working around families and groups, single travelers without a seat assignment might end up in one of the blocked middle seats.

Remember, rows 1-10 have 32 inches of pitch, 11-12 are exit rows, and 13-26 have 34 inches of pitch.

Might be helpful to know when booking those flights!.

Last edited by a330300; Apr 28, 2005 at 12:21 pm
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Wow -- they have to waste 14 seats?! That's good info. to know if turns out to be correct.

This should be easy to check. If any FTer is booking a flight to/from BUR, please check the seat map to see if all middle seats in these rows are blocked.

Last edited by dhuey; Apr 26, 2005 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
My wonderful sister is a FA with JetBlue and she informed me from her cell phone in the cockpit with the pilot (during a brief OAK layover, btw, NOT in flight!) that this is indeed true. They must cap at 130 passengers.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:26 pm

Now that's big news. Is there a moderator for this forum? I suggest that this is worthy of a sticky topic (e.g., "FYI re BUR-JFK Flights"). Having a middle seat blocked next to you is one of the benefits of elite status on the legacy carriers. Thanks to you two, it's there for the asking for all FTers. Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Ok so now the question is do you go for the extra legroom in the back or the empty middle in the front... And I thought flying JetBlue would be simple .
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:21 am

I'd take the empty middle seat and give up the 2" of leg room (I'm 5'10"). You and the other person in your row would have the extra storage space, tray table, seat and arm rests. You could even angle your legs toward the middle if you like.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:11 am
askworldtraveler

Thanks for the heads up.... Per the request I'm going to Sticky this thread....if something changes please let me know.... I don't think BUR will be seeing an A380 anytime soon....

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

It is probably important to note that while these seats are blocked, it's not a guarantee that they will be open.

JetBlue blocks rows 1-3, 12DEF and 26DEF usually reserved for airport assignment and working around families and groups, single travelers without a seat assignment might end up in one of the blocked middle seats.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by a330300

JetBlue blocks rows 1-3, 12DEF and 26DEF usually reserved for airport assignment and working around families and groups, single travelers without a seat assignment might end up in one of the blocked middle seats.
It was my understanding that these seats were being blocked in compliance with a weight restriction at the airport, rather than as a courtesy to families and single travlers. Therefore, while nothing is for certain I would imagine that they would remain open, as JetBlue would not be allowed to violate the restrictions.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:11 pm

tdb, thats not true. Those rows reguarlly have pax in them, as I usually sit in 1F everytime I fly B6. This is good information to have about the 4-10 middle seats, on a transcon, not having someone next to you, awesome!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by BobbyL262
tdb, thats not true. Those rows reguarlly have pax in them, as I usually sit in 1F everytime I fly B6. This is good information to have about the 4-10 middle seats, on a transcon, not having someone next to you, awesome!
I know those rows usually have pax in them, but we were talking exclusively about BUR-JFK flights, not all transcons.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:54 pm

I'd personally value the blocked middle seat as 50% of a legacy carrier upgrade -- especially considering the decline in most transcon F food service.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tdb27
I know those rows usually have pax in them, but we were talking exclusively about BUR-JFK flights, not all transcons.
tdb,
Sorry I misunderstood.. my apologies. ^
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:27 am
Suspended

I am confused here. I thought the fuel stop/weight restriction problems were on the westbound flights (JFK to BUR), where you are flying into headwinds. Is this correct?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dream7
I am confused here. I thought the fuel stop/weight restriction problems were on the westbound flights (JFK to BUR), where you are flying into headwinds. Is this correct?
Perhaps, but the BUR-JFK eastbound flights will undoubtedly be weight restricted some of the time due to the relatively short runway (6,800 ft) combined with the frequent 100+ degree afternoons in the summertime. High temperatures = more runway needed to get off the ground.

Westbound flights have the benefit of JFK's much longer runways, which allow for flights at MTOW. Headwinds might mean a fuel stop, just like other westbound B6 transcons, but at least B6 can topoff the tanks at JFK. At BUR, the A320 can't be as heavy as it can be at JFK. Less weight = fewer passengers, fewer bags, less fuel (and/or some combination of all three).

Last year, LGB-JFK flights had to stop for fuel for a short while due to runway construction that effectively reduced the amount of fuel the eastbound flights could carry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.