Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Wow... 63.1% on time arrival for Jan.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Jetblue

http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/myway-com/news-story.asp?guid={CEEFEB70-A01F-48E6-952A-02AF8F79E963}&alias=/ht/nw

This is suprising to me and I am sure the head officials can't be happy. The only reason that I can think of is that, instead of cancelling flights, like other airlines, they go late. I hope that would be the reason because they pride themselves on time management and this percentage is horrendous.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
For some part of the winter their westbound transcons (at least BOS-OAK) were apparently stopping in DEN or SLC to refuel due to strong headwinds, making them (obviously) late. This may have been a factor.

I wonder if this is going to be a problem for B6 going forward, as they seem to be aggressively pursuing the transcon market? Their planes may not be well suited for those routes.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:57 pm

Not sure what it was like in most JB cities, but around here, the weather sucked in January. I'm sure March isn't off to a great start for them either.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:33 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by justageek
For some part of the winter their westbound transcons (at least BOS-OAK) were apparently stopping in DEN or SLC to refuel due to strong headwinds, making them (obviously) late. This may have been a factor.

I wonder if this is going to be a problem for B6 going forward, as they seem to be aggressively pursuing the transcon market? Their planes may not be well suited for those routes.
If the planes are full, have lots of heavy people/luggage, and unfavorable weather conditions, then jetblue's A320s have to stop...boo! Song's 757 is much better, both performance and the way Song designed the inside cabins, IMHO.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by bursa
If the planes are full, have lots of heavy people/luggage, and unfavorable weather conditions, then jetblue's A320s have to stop...boo! Song's 757 is much better, both performance and the way Song designed the inside cabins, IMHO.

Sure you have a point, but this isnt a SONG/JB debate is it? Frankly, will Song be around in 1-2 years? I'd say its 50/50...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:42 am

A better question might be - Will DL be around in 1-2 years? The way it's going, SONG may be all they have left. IMHO
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by bursa
IMHO, today, tomorrow, next week, and next year, this post will still have nothing to do with song and how they are better. Go to the delta forum to rave about song or start a new thread.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:02 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by wmbarker
A better question might be - Will DL be around in 1-2 years? The way it's going, SONG may be all they have left. IMHO
While I strongly disagree with your statement, I wasn't trying to start a B6 vs Song war in this forum...after all this is the B6 forum. I was just commenting on a previous poster's comments about transcon stops possibly cutting into on-time rating, which is still decent.
Originally Posted by prhs1989
Go to the delta forum to rave about song or start a new thread.
Actually, most people in the DL forum hate Song.
cheers!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:15 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold

The simple fact of the matter is that a 757 would not have this problem. JetBlue bet the house on one aircraft type that everyone knows cannot fly these long distances fully loaded.

Whether Delta as Song, Delta mainline, or Crabgrass Perry Airlines operates a 757, a 757 can fly from BOS to OAK in the winter with headwinds and not have to make a fuel stop.

Last edited by JS; Mar 8, 2005 at 8:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd chalk this up to horrible weather all up and down the east coast. Just that blizzard in January alone probably knocked a few percentage points down!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question

The simple fact of the matter is that a 757 would not have this problem. JetBlue bet the house on one aircraft type that everyone knows cannot fly these long distances fully loaded.
You're exactly right. HP uses A319's for it's transons and they've never had to stop for fuel, and I don't remember any weight restrictions as a couple of my LAX-BOS flights were packed.

Does anyone know what engines B6 uses on their A320's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.