Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue fleet overhauls done in El Salvador

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:14 am
Original Poster

JetBlue Airways sends some of its fleet to El Salvador for overhauls.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Business/s...=432403&page=1

I will not be flying JetBlue until this practice stops. There have been too many airline crashes because of maintenance problems. When airline Execs are counting maintenance beans to this level, I am not going to risk flying that airline.

Please note that I did not say that JetBlue is guilty of this, but only that I'm not willing to risk it. Doesn't give that warm, fuzzy feeling.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by daved
JetBlue Airways sends some of its fleet to El Salvador for overhauls.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Business/s...=432403&page=1

I will not be flying JetBlue until this practice stops. There have been too many airline crashes because of maintenance problems. When airline Execs are counting maintenance beans to this level, I am not going to risk flying that airline.

Please note that I did not say that JetBlue is guilty of this, but only that I'm not willing to risk it. Doesn't give that warm, fuzzy feeling.
It would be interesting to see a study of the number of maintenance errors at foreign maintenance bases versus US maintenance bases. Without that information, we can't draw any safety-related conclusions from this practice. Of course, you might oppose this practice for non-safety-related reasons (jobs, economy, etc.), but then you get into the standard offshoring debate which I don't think either side has "won" yet.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by justageek
It would be interesting to see a study of the number of maintenance errors at foreign maintenance bases versus US maintenance bases. Without that information, we can't draw any safety-related conclusions from this practice. Of course, you might oppose this practice for non-safety-related reasons (jobs, economy, etc.), but then you get into the standard offshoring debate which I don't think either side has "won" yet.
So you aren't flying HP, Southwest, United, Northwest. Just American. How do we know that outsourcing is less safe.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by prhs1989
So you aren't flying HP, Southwest, United, Northwest. Just American. How do we know that outsourcing is less safe.
I think you meant to quote the OP, not me.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by justageek
I think you meant to quote the OP, not me.
Yep, sorry
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Question

I am guessing that the work gets outsourced to either TACA or whoever TACA has an agreement with; so my question is would you be willing to fly TACA?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Ignorance such as this is dangerous, especially without stated fact. Poor maintenance can happen anywhere in any country if there are no controls in place. Remember Alaska Airlines Flight 261, which crashed of the coast of So California. That maintenance was done by an American Airline in America.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: United 1K
I've done a lot of traveling in South America and can say when it comes to airplanes their quality control is excellent. Why not outsource when you can save the company money?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Umm.... Why are people so surprised about this?

There's a reason B6 can keep its fares so low.

Moving maintenance to the US will dramatically increase its cost, and therefore the cost of a JetBlue ticket. I think that'd hurt its business much more than a few "angry about outsourcing" people who refuse to fly.

When it comes to safety outsourcing isn't a bad deal. For example, Northwest has a lot of their maintenance done in Singapore where the regulations are even stricter than they are here.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:00 am
Suspended

Ill 2nd it that the firm that does it for Taca probably does it for B6 as its a Taca Hub down there.
Now can someone please remind me the last time that Taca had a crash or mishap due to faulty maintance. Ive flown Taca, Lacsa many times and never had a problem
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:00 pm

Air Canada also does a lot of work for JetBlue and other big Airbus users in Winnipeg.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:36 pm

Long way to fly just for maintenance

I'm sure that the pilots love to vacation on the company dime and all while they are waiting for their jet to get fixed; but I wonder how much it costs to fly an empty jet that far for maintenance, it can't be cheap so the maintenance must be alot cheaper down there than they are here.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:06 pm

I guess it depends on what other options there are in the US for this type of work. I don't know what kind of schedule they would keep for the planes going there, but I would suspect it would be taken out of service in Florida, flown empty to El Salvador, the crew picks up a completed aircraft and flies it back to Florida, where it re-enters the system.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
There have been too many airline crashes because of maintenance problems.

Can you be more specific?

And where was the maintenance done?
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:44 pm

Not only are maintenance standards strict, the FAA oversees EVERYTHING that EVERY domestic airline does. The FAA must approve ANY vendors that do any type of maintenance on ANY US registered aircraft. In fact, the airline I work for has all of its heavy engine work done by Pratt and Whitney in Canada and we haven't had any engine failures ever. Comments such as those made by the op are irresponsible to say the least. By the way, where is Airbus located? Overseas in France...so perhaps the manufacturing standards are not as good as Boeing's? I highly doubt that! Sorry for the rant but had to get that off my chest. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.