Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Gate B50 death march

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
IAD Gate B50 death march

JetBlue is building a manicure parlor at JFK. How #$%&! wonderful. But IAD is a stepchild. Used to be JetBlue flights left from B25 or so, adjacent to the shuttle bus/Burger King. Now the flights leave from B50. B50 is 450 paces from the entrance to the walkway to the main terminal; 950 paces from baggage claim (assuming you walk at a normal pace on the brand-new moving walkways, which don't always work); 300 paces from the limited-menu Starbucks/Samuel Adams; 450 paces from California Pizza Kitchen; and 800 paces from Burger King. Last time I showed up for a 6:30 AM transcon flight to LGB and the only food was the cheesy-bacon units at BK, must have been over 1/4 mile roundtrip. It's one thing to offer 5-hour potato-chip flights, sometimes JB's fares are low enough to be competitive. It's quite another to not have a convenient source of "real food" in the terminal. Not every pax is capable of running the marathon to get a Croissanwich. Next time it's the AS 8:15 from DCA-LAX.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:45 am

Programs: Jet Blue, United, Avis, Marriott, Kimpton
God yes.

That gate is f*ing nuts. And Jet Blue has this MADDENING habit of trying to close flights 20-25 minutes before their scheduled takeoff, 10-15 minutes before the door is *supposed* to close, so you can be walking (hiking) through the terminal to your plane only to hear the announcement that the aircraft door is closing because everyone is on board. (Which, of course, they're not.) I've written to them about this to complain -- heard back not word one.

That gate is a major problem and will lead me to fly them less out of IAD. It's that big a problem.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:54 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Jetblue or IAD

Originally Posted by TylerGreenDC
That gate is f*ing nuts. And Jet Blue has this MADDENING habit of trying to close flights 20-25 minutes before their scheduled takeoff, 10-15 minutes before the door is *supposed* to close, so you can be walking (hiking) through the terminal to your plane only to hear the announcement that the aircraft door is closing because everyone is on board. (Which, of course, they're not.) I've written to them about this to complain -- heard back not word one.

That gate is a major problem and will lead me to fly them less out of IAD. It's that big a problem.
I live in the NYC area and I have never been to IAD, so this is just my thoughts. I think this would lie more on IAD then Jetblue. Jetblue did not make the gate as far away as possible. Washington did. They should be spoken to about the problems of the distance and the poor concessions. I also assume that there are other gates in the area, so I'm sure other people have the same problem. Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't Jetblue used to have different gates. How many gates to they have today?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:43 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
I usually find that most airlines, including AA and DL, and most times UA, match B6 fares to their destinations. So flying B6 has no real advantage because their FF program is useless. However, I have noticed that when you need to book a flight that's scheduled to leave in 2 days or less, B6 is generally a little less. While I haven't been to that gate at IAD, it sounds worse than FL @ BOS, where they have a pathetic terminal (D) to themselves. But think of the good side-more exercise to burn off the calories from greasy food and blue potato chips!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I heard that Gate B50 was going to be one of the trials on the next Fear Factor. Oh no! Not Gate B50!! I expect half of the contestants will just leave the secured area and give up on the $50,000 grand prize.

Maybe they could change the gate numbering to be in multiples of 5. Gate B50 could then become GATE B250!!!

Sorry to go crazy on you. My imagination got the best of me. Another horror story at IAD.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mbstone
JetBlue is building a manicure parlor at JFK. How #$%&! wonderful. But IAD is a stepchild. Used to be JetBlue flights left from B25 or so, adjacent to the shuttle bus/Burger King. Now the flights leave from B50. B50 is 450 paces from the entrance to the walkway to the main terminal; 950 paces from baggage claim (assuming you walk at a normal pace on the brand-new moving walkways, which don't always work); 300 paces from the limited-menu Starbucks/Samuel Adams; 450 paces from California Pizza Kitchen; and 800 paces from Burger King. Last time I showed up for a 6:30 AM transcon flight to LGB and the only food was the cheesy-bacon units at BK, must have been over 1/4 mile roundtrip. It's one thing to offer 5-hour potato-chip flights, sometimes JB's fares are low enough to be competitive. It's quite another to not have a convenient source of "real food" in the terminal. Not every pax is capable of running the marathon to get a Croissanwich. Next time it's the AS 8:15 from DCA-LAX.
Yes, it does stink for everybody, even the Crew's who want to run off and get a quick bite to eat, cannot do that because of the distance. We were forced out of our former space by Independence Air and their A319 flights, so they could be closer to their RJ Hall....it wasn't something JetBlue chose to do, but was told to do so by the Airport Authority....

Please, continue to write in to JetBlue and let them know how you feel. Our Crew's have been doing the same thing, because after working a redeye flight, you really don't want to do the march of death to get to the van to get to the hotel....we feel your pain, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.