Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Upstart JetBlue Airways defies skeptics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

http://www.freep.com/money/business/jblue5_20040305.htm

Now, as JetBlue smokes other airlines financially by posting the highest operating margins in the business, the carrier is shaking up the industry.

At the same time it studies and even copies JetBlue, the industry is striking back. Traditional carriers such as American Airlines Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. have launched aggressive promotions to steal JetBlue customers...

From the beginning, JetBlue flew its own way. Instead of using leased older planes, it bought new Airbus A320s. It offered no meals but installed in-seat satellite TV, which has become such a draw that rival Delta added it to its low-fare carrier, Song. Southwest and American are considering whether to follow....

Because it has new planes and no labor unions, JetBlue will be able to grow quickly without its costs spiraling from its current level of about 6 cents per seat mile.

That compares favorably with majors such as American, which nearly went bankrupt when it lowered its seat-mile costs to about 9.5 cents. At the other end of the spectrum are US Airways Corp., Northwest Airlines Inc. and Delta, which have seat-mile costs near or above 11 cents.

Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:18 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
You know we do have a forum called "In The News", don't you?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:22 pm
Suspended

You know we do have a forum called "JetBlue", don't you?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
But most of us DeltaManiacs do not get a chance to read those other topics, so thank you for posting this here!!!!!

What did it cost you.... 30 seconds?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
But most of us DeltaManiacs do not get a chance to read those other topics, so thank you for posting this here!!!!!

</font>
Good call-
Obscure2k
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Originally posted by RobertS975:

</font>
Good call-
Obscure2k

Obscure2K;

Isn't that a defense for nearly EVERY off-topic thread that has been closed and moved on this board?
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

On further reflection, I have decided that this thread is more appropriate in the JetBlue Forum. Please continue to follow the discussion there.
Thanks,
Obscure2k
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
At the end of that article it says "Neeleman tries to pitch in with his fellow "crew members," as they're called at JetBlue. When he flies JetBlue, he likes to hand out soft drinks and pretzels, donning a blue apron that says "Snack Boy." "

jetBlue have pretzels? I never knew that!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 7:42 am

For what is likely my final post in the old Flyertalk, I decided to post this link to an extremely positive article about JetBlue that came from the New York Times news service. Hey New Yorkers, was the article originally published in the New York Times?

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,595051083,00.html

Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amanuensis:
For what is likely my final post in the old Flyertalk, I decided to post this link to an extremely positive article about JetBlue that came from the New York Times news service. Hey New Yorkers, was the article originally published in the New York Times?

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,595051083,00.html

</font>
I'm not a New Yorker but I try and follow jetBlue, and can confirm that this article did indeed appear in the New York Times on Tuesday. Here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/23/bu...23jetblue.html

-Robert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.