Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Fist Fight on Jet Blue: it's MY armrest!

Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/21640.htm

March 23, 2004 -- A New York-to-Florida flight made an emergency landing in North Carolina after two passengers - twin brothers - got into a loud and ugly fistfight over possession of the arm rest between their seats.

The situation aboard JetBlue Flight 385 escalated into a midair emergency on Sunday when the brothers went from arguing to throwing wild punches, witnesses told investigators.

-------------

Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:52 pm
askworldtraveler

they were met at the plane by FBI - released and had to get a rental car - something must be missing here - I hope these clowns have to at least pay for the costs for the landing, fuel, extra flight hours to say nothing of the passangers who have been disrupted- My moderator hat is off for this one....just glad I wasn't trying to catch a cruise ship !

------------------
Dance as if no one's watching, Sing as if no one's listening and live live everyday as if it were your last

Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All of those people were inconvenienced by those brothers. It is stuff like that which infuriates me. Jetblue did what it has to do. Now I hope the authorities hold these malcreants accountable to the fullest extent of the law.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes.

Although I agree that the idiots should have to pay all sorts of damages to B6 (and to any directly affected passengers), I've always wondered on what basis an airline can bill the expenses of an unscheduled landing to an unruly passenger.

Tort law covers any physical damages to other passengers (battery, assault, etc) but what legal theory supports consequential damages owed to the airline??

I don't recall reading anything in the C of C of most major airlines where I agree to reimburse the airline for such expenses, but I may be mistaken.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Yikes.
Although I agree that the idiots should have to pay all sorts of damages to B6 (and to any directly affected passengers), I've always wondered on what basis an airline can bill the expenses of an unscheduled landing to an unruly passenger.
Tort law covers any physical damages to other passengers (battery, assault, etc) but what legal theory supports consequential damages owed to the airline??
I don't recall reading anything in the C of C of most major airlines where I agree to reimburse the airline for such expenses, but I may be mistaken.
</font>

Which court would have jurisdiction? North Carolina, because that's where they landed, or Federal because it was an interstate flight? Of course, getting money out of two characters like these brothers would be like getting blood out of a turnip. These probably aren't wealthy individuals like the Wall Street banker (?) who took a dump on the FC desert cart. Might look bad from a PR standpoint. Maybe the $$$$ they'll have to pay for legal fees, assuming they're prosecuted, is sufficient. As far as civil damages, they can always claim that JetBlue chose to land the plane early in NC and could/should have restrained the brothers and continued on to their destination.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AuAAdvantage:

Which court would have jurisdiction? North Carolina, because that's where they landed, or Federal because it was an interstate flight? Of course, getting money out of two characters like these brothers would be like getting blood out of a turnip. These probably aren't wealthy individuals like the Wall Street banker (?) who took a dump on the FC desert cart. Might look bad from a PR standpoint. Maybe the $$$$ they'll have to pay for legal fees, assuming they're prosecuted, is sufficient. As far as civil damages, they can always claim that JetBlue chose to land the plane early in NC and could/should have restrained the brothers and continued on to their destination.
</font>
Depends on how they are charged. There are various crimes federally they can be charged with or they could be charged in state court with various assault and battery and/or threat charges. It all depends on who asserts jurisdiction. Sometimes you can be charged in all applicable jurisdictions...for example, it is a crime to interfere with a flight crew - that is federal, and then second, be charged with assault and battery locally.
My observation would be that they would more likely be charged federally, since locally it could be a more difficult argument...what city/county/state were they in when the punch was thrown?
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WebTraveler:
Depends on how they are charged. There are various crimes federally they can be charged with or they could be charged in state court with various assault and battery and/or threat charges. It all depends on who asserts jurisdiction. Sometimes you can be charged in all applicable jurisdictions...for example, it is a crime to interfere with a flight crew - that is federal, and then second, be charged with assault and battery locally.
My observation would be that they would more likely be charged federally, since locally it could be a more difficult argument...what city/county/state were they in when the punch was thrown?
</font>
Actually, I was thinking jurisdiction for the civil suit, not criminal.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Don't forget Emotional Distress for the passengers hehe
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
So what IS proper armrest protocol?? I've always been told that at any event where there is a shared armrest (in movie theatres, sporting events etc) you always get the RIGHT armrest for yourself. If you are seated where there's an aisle on your left (or the window seats on the port side of an aircraft) you get a right and left armrest.

Anyone else know??
Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:13 am

I can understand how armrest fights break out. I am not excusing the poor and dangerous behavior of the brothers. I hope they get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Why can't someone in molded materials develop an armrest that has indentations for the portion of arms between the elbow and the wrist, and a thin short 'wall' that runs the length of the armrest in the middle to provide a definitive armrest boundary?

I have never seen as many truly selfish people as I have on airplanes. Particularly those in middle seats who somehow seem to feel entitled to ALL of BOTH armrests.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by Defender
Particularly those in middle seats who somehow seem to feel entitled to ALL of BOTH armrests.
Agree, whats worst is when they think they are also entitled to have their arm on the arm rest and into my seat area and start elbowing me or something like that. Another thing that annoys me is when they have their arm on the armrest and over the TV remote thing and not knowing their changing the volume, channel, or brightness. Thats the worst, on jetBlue at least, the ethics should be you get the arm rest with your remote... thats pretty simple isn't it?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Defender
I have never seen as many truly selfish people as I have on airplanes. Particularly those in middle seats who somehow seem to feel entitled to ALL of BOTH armrests.
On those unfortunate occassions when I'm in coach and all three seats in the row are occupied, I always yield the full armrest to the middle seat passenger. Anyone stuck in that miserable position deserves both armrests.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
On those unfortunate occassions when I'm in coach and all three seats in the row are occupied, I always yield the full armrest to the middle seat passenger. Anyone stuck in that miserable position deserves both armrests.
What a great mindset to have, I'll have to remember that one for future flights in coach.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:39 pm

I still think on jetBlue and any other airline using a similar remote / tv control thing it should be if your remote is on the armrest, than its ur arm rest. I just dont like it when I'm sitting in the exit row window and the guy in the middle seat always put his arm over my remote so that I cant change the channel, sound, and brightness or he'll change it for me when his arm lands on the buttons.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:23 pm

That must of been an interesting drive for the two of them to Florida. I wonder if they both survived.

Incidents of this nature surely seem to be more common on the discount carriers. Has anybody seen any demographic studies comparing ages, incomes, educations etc. of the passengers on AA,UA, CO, NW, & DL to Jetblue, Southwest etc?

P.S. I agree that the person stuck in the middle can have both armrests, but not a millimeter more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.