Free same day standby?

Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Free same day standby?

Does jetblue allow standing by for an earlier/later flight? I have been a loyal AA customer for years, but the recent elimination of this feature suddenly has me looking at the competition.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For same-day standby, if you wish to take an earlier flight assuming availability, there is no charge.

For free standby on a later flight, you must arrive no later than one hour after your original flight. If you arrive more than an hour after your original flight, JetBlue will charge a $25 change fee along with the difference in fare for the later flight assuming one were to exist.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:03 am

I'm not sure you can arrive after your orignal flight and only pay a $25 fee. When you buy a ticket, on the web or telephone, you are told that if you don't cancel BEFORE your flight all funds re forfeited.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
For same-day standby, if you wish to take an earlier flight assuming availability, there is no charge.

For free standby on a later flight, you must arrive no later than one hour after your original flight. If you arrive more than an hour after your original flight, JetBlue will charge a $25 change fee along with the difference in fare for the later flight assuming one were to exist.
</font>
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:26 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I know the web site says in theory that you lose the value of your ticket if you do not cancel it before the departure, but I would be hard pressed to think this is taken to literal extremes. For example, you get stuck in traffic and your cell phone battery is dead, and you miss your flight. Is the B6 agent actually going to tell you your ticket is no good? Even the big six, despite some of their press releases, probably don't actually do this on the front lines 99% of the time.

I too am curious how JetBlue actually in real world practice handles both same day standby, and date changes. I am not that interested in official policy as that is all written on the web site, but I would like to know how the front line agents handle this in the field? Does the level of participation in TrueBlue impact this?

One other interesting thing I found is that when I use the Sabre availability tool to check for a late evening flight BOS to MCO on Friday Jan 16 it shows:
BOS MCO 0116-1940/0116-2300 B6 437 Y9 K9 H9 Q9 B9 L9 (320)
However, when you go to the B6 web site, this flight is not shown as an available option. Does B6 reflect its inventory in Sabre? Or could it really be 0'd out? Also I have hard B6 does not usually overbook?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I spoke to a helpful B6 res agent, and learned some interesting details:
1. Apparently B6 does not update its inventory in CRS's like Sabre, because the above noted flight according to the B6 agent is completely sold out;
2. Free same day standby, either for an earlier or later same day flight, is allowed. However, officially, if you standby for a later flight and are not able to get out on the ticketed day of departure, you forfit your fare since you presumably did not cancel your reservation. However, the agent said they do work with customers, but it also sounded like they may track how many exceptions are made through one's TrueBlue account. It sounded like the res agent can actually put you on a standby list, though I'm not sure if this is the real airport standby list. Also it sounded as if when you advise you are going to standby on a later flight, they may note your record that you were advised you may lose the value of your fare if you do not get out. So it may not benefit you to call, and have this notation added.
Its good to know at least that same day free standby is available. Also res advised they indeed do not overbook flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.