FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Jetblue bumps 15 passengers! (voluntary bumps) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/279739-jetblue-bumps-15-passengers-voluntary-bumps.html)

MarkinDallas Jan 4, 2004 9:41 pm

Jetblue bumps 15 passengers! (voluntary bumps)

Yes, I know that this is the AA forum. I'm just posting this for comparison's sake....

15 passengers,

in a single flight, no..
in a single day, no..
in a single week or month, no...

For the whole year January-September, 2003!
That's right, 15 bumps in a whole 9 months.

I was reading the air travel report at www.dot.gov/airconsumer/ and the report for October, 2003 shows only 15 bumps for Jan-Sept inclusive.
Well done!
[AA boarded about 60 million passengers for the period, against JetBlue's 6 million, and AA had about 73,500 voluntary and 3,500 involuntary bumps].

As if 15 bumps was not good enough....
In the complaints section page 35 shows that for October, 2003 JetBlue had ..... zero (yes, zilch, nada, nothing) complaints.

I was thoroughly impressed.
Mark, Dallas

(Edit: I originally had the AA involuntary and voluntary numbers wrong way round)

[This message has been edited by MarkinDallas (edited Jan 04, 2004).]

dlombard Jan 4, 2004 9:55 pm

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what an airline can pull off when they fly to over 700 fewer destinations. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
Best regards,
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA

DisgruntledGoat Jan 4, 2004 10:40 pm

I'll wait until JetBlue flies to O'Hare and starts adding international routes before I jump ship. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

snorkmaster Jan 4, 2004 10:50 pm

What self-respecting FTer would fly an airline that wouldn't provide them with ample voucher accumulation opportunities? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

zakami Jan 4, 2004 11:11 pm

This is not even a comparison. Its like comparing a bicycle to a car.

MazdaMP Jan 4, 2004 11:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
This is not even a comparison. Its like comparing a bicycle to a car.</font>
JBLU does not overbook their planes, simple as that....AA forum?

zakami Jan 4, 2004 11:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MazdaMP:
JBLU does not overbook their planes, simple as that....AA forum?</font>
I would be fairly that they do overbook somewhat. But very few people actually "connect" somewhere (JFK/OAK) when flying Jet Blue. So there are fewer missed flights, etc, etc. Its also possible that Jet Blue does not rely as heavily on business type (full-fare) passengers as AA does. The full-fare type passengers are no-shows very frequently so AA probably has to overbook to accomodate them.

AAlton Jan 4, 2004 11:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MarkinDallas:
I was reading the air travel report at www.dot.gov/airconsumer/ and the report for October, 2003 shows only 15 bumps for Jan-Sept inclusive.
Well done!
[AA boarded about 60 million passengers for the period, against JetBlue's 6 million, and AA had about 73,500 voluntary and 3,500 involuntary bumps].
</font>
And how many operational upgrade bumps did JetBlue award? Let me guess, 0! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

MazdaMP Jan 4, 2004 11:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
I would be fairly that they do overbook somewhat. But very few people actually "connect" somewhere (JFK/OAK) when flying Jet Blue. So there are fewer missed flights, etc, etc. Its also possible that Jet Blue does not rely as heavily on business type (full-fare) passengers as AA does. The full-fare type passengers are no-shows very frequently so AA probably has to overbook to accomodate them.</font>
no, just like ryanair in europe, they do NOT overbook their flights..lemme search for some sources...

MazdaMP Jan 4, 2004 11:54 pm

I would be fairly that they do overbook somewhat. But very few people actually "connect" somewhere (JFK/OAK) when flying Jet Blue. So there are fewer missed flights, etc, etc. Its also possible that Jet Blue does not rely as heavily on business type (full-fare) passengers as AA does. The full-fare type passengers are no-shows very frequently so AA probably has to overbook to accomodate them.</font>
voila:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztra...overbook_x.htm

fredmartens Jan 4, 2004 11:56 pm

They can bleed "true blue" all they want, I'm sticking with my red blue and silver.

Jet Blue: A320's. Not a bad airplane. Wait until Neeleman has to start paying for these babies. Then they'll get complicated and start regional service with a 2nd type of aircraft to operate and maintain. Then the A320's will start getting older and need things like real maintenance, hot section teardowns and C checks. Then we'll see how they start stacking up when they become a REAL competitor to AA rather than cherry picking individual routes and running a flying bus with TV's. Big deal. Considering 99.9% of what's on TV is crap anyway, I hardly see that as a "perk".

AA: We've got RJ's to boast about(!) along with MD-80's, 737-800's, 757's, A300's, 767's, 777's, F100's and more, MRTC, a first class cabin, business cabin, int'l routes, mileage and upgrade benefits ad nauseum... and full partnership in an alliance that can get us around the world.

Hmmm, never seen a B6 lounge at any airports...how about a B6 Flagship Lounge? Lessee, JFK-LGB-JFK in cattle....hmmm, only if drugged to a stupor or I absolutely have no other way there. What's that? AA has an LAX-JFK non-stop? In a widebody, too? OK, nevermind...

And a B6 performance post has what business being on the AA board? I smell trolling...

777Brit Jan 5, 2004 2:59 am

This really isn't AA related, and is therefore being moved, to the JetBlue forum.

Please try and keep AA forum posts AA-related folks. Thanks.

------------------
777Brit
AA Forum Moderator
[email protected]

SeattlePilot Jan 5, 2004 10:59 am

I am writing this from JB terminal in JFK.
I was supposed to fly SEA-JFK-BTV with the airline. Interestingly enough , they have only 1 flight a day on the JFK-SEA route.

So, I went on their website and checked the arrival time on this puppy. It was supposed to LEAVE SEA at 1:05 am , but it was showing 1:45 am arrival. With 9:00 am scheduled (read padded) arrival time I called JB and told them I will be missing my connection to BTV. I wanted them to put me on either CO, US or UA red-eyes so that I can be there on time.

Well, they denied it.. Went to gate B15. I asked about the delay and inquired the same way. They said that we were going to leave at 1:10 am regardless of what the website said. I didn't buy it, but that's ok..

So, we push back at 2:05am and take off 5 mins after that.. Buy the time we get to JFK it was 9:45 am. We were told to sit down except the pax for BTV and ROC. They told us that they were holding aircraft for both desitnations and we should be ok..

So, I get to the gate 7. The flight left already.. Hmm.. Then I asked them if they could out me on the AAEagle flight JFK-YUL which is my final destination. They said no which is uderstandable because my contract with them was for SEA-JFK-BTV delivery. :P

Then I asked them if I could get a credit for the JFK-BTV leg, so that I can run to AA terminal and buy a one way fare to YUL.

That was turned down too..

So, here I am spending 5 hrs at this lousy terminal, waiting for my 3:30 pm flight after a red-eye.. It sucks..

Larrude Jan 5, 2004 3:22 pm

JetBlue is a great option if you don't have anyy other options.

If I want to connect to JFK from ROC, I HAVE to fly JetBlue. No one else makes the run at all.

AA only flies to ORD. UA only flies to ORD or IAD. DL to CVG or Atlanta. I can get to LGA or EWR, but not JFK.

Complain all you want about JetBlue, but it came in a filled a niche that was ignored and managed to force the other airlines into EWR or LGA lower their fares.

jetsetter Jan 5, 2004 5:31 pm

Being new to JetBlue, I am surprised they were so unhelpful with getting you a FIM or some assistance with your connection. I seem to think that B6 dubs itself as being more helpful, friendly, and accommodating than the "big 6" airlines? Also odd they don't oversell. I would imagine given their leisure travel concentration that they should not have a problem getting volunteers, so why not overbook?