Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Now Now Business Weeks Says It -Jet Blue is a Scam

Old Oct 13, 03, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

For frequent fliers, the October 13th Business Week exposes the myth behind Jet Blue: "Fliers Dilemna: Save Now or Later" The magazine basically says that this airline has the worst U.S. frequent flier program. (JB spokesman: "I don't think people are flying JetBlue for the points.") An airline that has the nerve to have miles that expire after one year.

"Jet Blue gives travelers plenty of reasons to choose it over its giant rivals: new planes, comfy leather seats, 24 channels of live tv, bargain fares. Its frequent flier program, however, isn't one of them. Unless you take 13 medium-length or five long-distance round-trip trips within a year, you'll never qualify for a free ticket. Even if you do, you can forget about cashing in your points for a foreign getaway, since Jet Blue doesn't fly outside the U.S." Business Week points out re JB: that "Points often expire before a freebie is due." It adds: "Upgrades aren't an option when there's only one class" There is no way to add points through partner rewards.

All of this wouldn't matter if Jet Blue didn't charge top dollar for many of its flights, but, incredibly IT DOES. You can try it for yourself. Sure there are some routes where JB is lower, but give it a shot and you will see that JB's model is Bait and Switch and that their lowest fares seem to seldom be available- this is not scientific, but it is my experience. As a ff at a major airline who has enjoyed GREAT rewards such as free trips to Australia, South America, Europe, Alaska and great (almost l00%) domestic upgrades, it pains me to see leisure travelers lining up to board this scam unaware that a $400 ticket coast to coast on JB is a RIP OFF (See above). Incidentally, one might wonder whether JB should even have a posting site on a web site that deals with FF programs- since as Bizweek shows, it pretty much doesn't have a bona fide aforesaid program.
Old Oct 13, 03, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
odnyc, do the major carriers have you on retainer? Where in the BW article is JetBlue called a scam? Is it even called deceptive?

I did try for myself. I paid $300 for OAK-JFK nonstop while SFO-JFK nonstops were over $1,800 (no Sat. stay).

Oh, but I'll miss out on 5k FF miles. Rats!
Old Oct 14, 03, 1:29 am

Your post is ridiculous. The quote that you provide is really quite complimentary. In fact, the very quote you use to try to disparage Jet Blue actually praises their "bargain fares". It gives many reasons to fly on Jet Blue over the mainline carriers. While you may think that the fares are high on Jet Blue you can be rest assured that they were MUCH higher before Jet Blue on their routes when the legacy carriers were controlling the fares. Now that Jet Blue has moved into these markets the fares have dropped. The reason you might find space at the lower fares on the legacy carriers and not Jet Blue is because the legacy carriers have plenty of open seats as the paying passengers would rather pay to fly on Jet Blue. They don't sell every seat at the rock bottom fares which indicates to me that there planes must be going pretty full if all you can find are their higher fares, which by no means are high. $299 is their highest fare coast to coast and that is a real bargain compared to the fare that AA/UA/DL/NW/CO were charging before their arrival.

[This message has been edited by AS Flyer (edited 10-14-2003).]
Old Oct 14, 03, 4:32 pm

"Bait and Switch"

NYC-->LA
Oct 15 , return Oct 17

Cheapest nonstop
$1252 (US) or $1852 (AA,UA,DL) or $2300(CO)

B6's price: $505

Yes, the consumer has been had. I would much rather get my 5,000 FFM (double for top elites) than save 700, 1300, or 1800 dollars.

"Incidentally, one might wonder whether JB should even have a posting site on a web site that deals with FF programs- since as Bizweek shows, it pretty much doesn't have a bona fide aforesaid program."

The same could be said about CO, which offers awards but no availability.

[This message has been edited by audio-nut (edited 10-14-2003).]
Old Oct 14, 03, 5:14 pm

odnyc, you've been calling JetBlue a scam in a few different threads now. Each time, scores of FTers disagree, reporting how they saved tons of money on JetBlue.

Yes, JetBlue has a very limited FF program, and it only benefits those who fly quite a bit. FTers are well aware of this, and they're also very good at assessing the value of FF miles they forgo in B6.

In short, just about everyone here thinks you are wrong about this "scam" and "bait & switch" business. That doesn't mean you are wrong. It does, however, give you cause to reconsider your thinking on this.

Old Oct 14, 03, 7:08 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
"Bait and Switch"

NYC--&gt;LA
Oct 15 , return Oct 17

Cheapest nonstop
$1252 (US) or $1852 (AA,UA,DL) or $2300(CO)

B6's price: $505

Yes, the consumer has been had. I would much rather get my 5,000 FFM (double for top elites) than save 700, 1300, or 1800 dollars.

"Incidentally, one might wonder whether JB should even have a posting site on a web site that deals with FF programs- since as Bizweek shows, it pretty much doesn't have a bona fide aforesaid program."

</font>

Just a note on your fare comparison -- since B6 does not fly into LAX, I re-ran the fare for AA into LGB and SNA (which are the B6 airports) and JFK-LGB and JFK-SNA are both pricing at $455 for non-stop flights on 10/15 (leaving at 5:15pm for SNA returning 10/17 (leaving SNA at 12:15 w/ same fare available on red-eye).

So, the majors do match B6 and in this case, beats B6.
Old Oct 15, 03, 12:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
I wouldn't worry too much about the original poster, he trolls often on the CO board too. Although I am not able to take part in JetBlue's services (JFK is just too far away from PHL for me), I am happy to see them grow and profit (and, along with WN, keep the Big Six in line). I can only hope that one day PHL will be added to their list of destinations/hubs.

I am presently a CO flier, as odnyc is, but as of Jan 1st, I will be going elsewhere - with CO's new restrictions on low-fare EQM's. Just another reason B6 looks better and better everyday!

K
Old Oct 15, 03, 11:49 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I can say from experience, at least with LGB-OAK and LGB-LAS, AS and HP come out less than B6 (and we are talking SNA-OAK and SNA-LAS for AS and HP, respectively).

Sometimes, it's significantly less.

As far as the transcons go, however, they did force AA to drop their fares, and I'm thankful for that.
Old Oct 15, 03, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, RCCL CAS D+, B6 TrueBlue, VX eleVAte, HHonors, SPG, AAdvantage, andAS MilagePlan.
Scam is defined as a fraudulent business scheme... so how is this a scam?

Also, this is old news... theres articles like this ever since jetBlue introduced TrueBlue.
Old Oct 15, 03, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
"Bait and Switch"

</font>
Agree. As well as NW!
Old Oct 15, 03, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Sorry Gang:
I define scam as hustling people who don't know any better. My guess is that the vast majority of JB travelers have been ripped off. As a platinum elite at a major airline, every THIRD transcon trip I take is FREE- That's right 2 NY-Lax's, $280 x 2 (12,000 miles--- 5,000 x 125% bonus, plus lk on line bonuses) which is the typical leisure fare results, for me, in a FREE FIRST CLASS FLIGHT. Yes, $560 for three flights, including one in first class. JB is focusing on once a year (or lifetime) passengers. Biz people really won't ever be the bulk of the blue crew- they know the economics, and they really don't need the tv. Many poor shmucks, driven by the mindless hype, are paying at least $300 for a coast to coast trip W/O FF miles. This results in a JB ripoff of AT LEAST $100 worth of FF miles per flight. If anyone wants to contest the math, be my guest. Is JB good for the last minute biz person? Probably, but not definitely. Is their bait and switch model an audacious rip-off of most of its customers- leisure fliers- YOU BET IT IS.

Further re: math: High tiered elite status on major airline: 5 transcons flights is almost a free trip to AUSTRALIA. Go ahead, challenge me, I've been there FIVE x's thanks to the majors and you with JB: Been to Oakland? Or did your miles expire first?

Also: NOTE: I DON'T PERSONALLY ATTACK ANYONE, WHILE JB POSTERS- BLIND JB LOYALISTS AND A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE WHO HATE THE MAJORS FOR COMPLICATED REASONS ATTACK ME PERSONALLY Also read the posts re: HIGH FARES
Old Oct 16, 03, 9:45 am

I don't understand why you think B6 is a "scam" airline. Because their tickets aren't free? When B6 entered the NYC-area to SFO/LAX-area markets, walk-up fares dropped as much as $1,000 each-way. Obviously, legacy carriers had to match some of the new fares. If B6 were to cease operations tomorrow, you can bet that those fares would increase overnight...

IMO, Crapinental Airlines is a scam...
Old Oct 16, 03, 10:13 am

odnyc -

The title of your post is a scam. You lure people in by claiming that Business Week says jet Blue is a scam when, instead, they actually praise Jet Blues comfortable planes, good service and low fares. What they do say is that their frequent flyer program is not as generous as those of the major airlines. I don't see the word scam anywhere in the article, and I read the whole thing. Also, nowhere in the article does it claim that there is a bait and switch business going on at Jet Blue. In fact it credits Jet Blue and the other low cost carriers with bringing air travel prices down to reasonable levels.

I think the majority of us can forgive Jet Blue for not having the most generous frequent flyer program. They've brought down unrestricted fares in their markets to reasonable levels.
Old Oct 16, 03, 11:19 am

Sounds like odnyc is a shill or an employee for CO or DL.
JetBlue 's stock has risen quite a bit since it offering . They have made money ..Yes they infected pain on on the OLD major airlines.But all those people flying JB aren't there for the FF miles.The fares are good ,clean modern planes and friendly service . Hasta lavista to the " old MAJORS "
Old Oct 16, 03, 12:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by odnyc:
Sorry Gang:
I define scam as hustling people who don't know any better. My guess is that the vast majority of JB travelers have been ripped off.</font>
odnyc, I think you vastly underestimate the intelligence of the flying public. Leisure travelers are very price sensitive. They shop around by calling airlines and using the online travel agents to check prices. They are seldom going to be passing up significantly better fares when they fly JetBlue.

Now, as for passing up 5.5k FF miles when you fly JetBlue, I agree that if the price is the same, then J6 vs. legacy carriers is a close call. It all depends on how you value those miles. If you only fly during those holiday blackout periods, those miles aren't worth too much.

If we give those miles a 1.5 cent value, the typical trancon RT yields about $82 worth of miles. (forget about elite bonus stuff -- you're talking about Joe Sixpack on a plane). Is that leather seat and Direct TV worth $41 each way? I think the answer for many is yes.

Finally, here in the Easy Bay, J6 is the tops. We get nonstop, cheap (just paid $301) service from OAK to JFK, which no other carrier provides. Want nonstop service from SFO to JFK ? (I don't -- especially as we head into the rainy season and SFO often becomes a refugee camp) You better stay over a Saturday, else you'll pay the standard gouge fare (e.g., $1,800+).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: