Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Who hates seeing Jetblue expanding hurting others? I do!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

I have never flown Jetblue in my life because I live in Hawaii and I am still attatched with major carriers/some national carriers. One day I would fly Jetblue but I probably would stick with other airlines. Everytime I see them expanding it makes me unhappy that they are killing other airlines. Who else in here hates it?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:57 pm

Yes, this free market capitalism stuff is horrible when it comes to airlines, JetBlue should just go away. So should Southwest, for that matter, or any other airline that challenges the majors that are losing money.

I am constantly surprised by the amount of emotion that is expressed in the topics of this board: "I hate JetBlue" - "Who else hates JetBlue?".

An airline comes along and does well, lowering fares on many of the routes that it enters (IAD-OAK in my case), and people react negatively.

I've flown JetBlue, and had very enjoyable experiences. When they're more expensive, I fly UA, which usually matches JetBlue's fares. Many people like them, others do not.

You don't have to fly JetBlue, you don't even have to like JetBlue, but to decide you're going to "hate" an airline simply because it is successful seems a little unusual.

Old Jul 6, 2003, 4:29 pm

[This message has been edited by the wide chair (edited 07-06-2003).]
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:45 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No problem for me as I love free enterprise!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:20 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Danski:
Yes, this free market capitalism stuff is horrible when it comes to airlines, JetBlue should just go away. So should Southwest, for that matter, or any other airline that challenges the majors that are losing money.

</font>
Obviously the original poster never had the pleasure of flying the pre-1991 Aeroflot, or Interflug, as I did.

But don't worry, there's still an airline that'll let you experience the joys of a planned economy:

http://www.angelfire.com/pokemon2/ae...i/koryo_e.html

I don't hate jetBlue.

Old Jul 7, 2003, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Danski:
You don't have to fly JetBlue, you don't even have to like JetBlue, but to decide you're going to "hate" an airline simply because it is successful seems a little unusual.</font>
A little unusual? Try incredibly irrational as well.

Old Jul 7, 2003, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Ummmm, Ummmmm, So crummy run airlines that don't listen to their customers(fill in AA,UA,DL,CO, etc) need to be encouraged???
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I think the problem is that many of us see the LCCs as responsible for the decline of service standards on our preferred carriers. We recognize that the public has spoken and wants low fares and is willing to put-up with few frills in return. Some of us want to fly first class and/or have many frills and are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately, we are in the minority and no carrier is looking to serve our needs. This, of course, makes perfect sense from a business perspective, but can leave people irritated. However irrational, some will blame the LCCs for this.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:45 am

JetBlue entering my home market of ALB (hopefully will happen w/the 100 RJ order) would make me happier than ever!

So what if they come in and other airlines fail b/c of poor customer service, poor policies, and higher fares. Welcome to America people!

Go JetBlue!
Chris
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Diehard Ford (and GM) fans (and shareholders) probably blame all those darn import brands for their distress also.

Everyone says they like competition, problem is that nobody seems to like the carnage that often results. Competition produces real winners and real losers, and right now, the old-style full service airlines are having trouble staying in the "winners" column.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Well one point that was missed is that Jet Blue seems to fill voids. There was no remaining jet service from ROC to NYC, just props. We now have four round trip jets each day.

It wasn't Jet Blue chasing out the big boys, it was Jet Blue doing the job that the big boys aren't doing.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
I think the problem is that many of us see the LCCs as responsible for the decline of service standards on our preferred carriers. We recognize that the public has spoken and wants low fares and is willing to put-up with few frills in return. Some of us want to fly first class and/or have many frills and are willing to pay for it. Unfortunately, we are in the minority and no carrier is looking to serve our needs. This, of course, makes perfect sense from a business perspective, but can leave people irritated. However irrational, some will blame the LCCs for this.
</font>
Margins got rid of service, not the LCC's.

NOT a single North American Major carrier has a REAL reason to pay for their extra costs over a well run LCC. Come on, unediable food, bad attitude FA's, ops people who are brain dead... etc

We don't have an "SQ" like carrier flying domestic in the US and I don't think we ever will. cuz, when push comes to shove the more consistent lower fare wins (B6 is NOT always the cheapest, AA and other have matched or beaten their fares, but they don't ever do it on a systemwide basis)

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited 07-09-2003).]
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Well I think what it comes down to is value, take American for example, assuming that American Airline's tickets is the same as jetBlue's tickets on similar route (ie/ SFO, OAK, or SJC to EWR, JFK, or LGA), what would you rather have...

DirecTV
Gourmet Snacks
Friendly Service
Leather Seats
34" seat pitch (in the back of the plane starting in September)

or

Bistro Meals that are similar to but worst than JetBlue's snackpacks
Cloth seats that are to thin that you can feel the metal under the seat cushion
Audio entertainment and preselected movies
31" to 32" seat pitch (on their 757s and other aircrafts)
Option to upgrade to first class where the service is similar to coach a few years back.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Oh, I agree. I think it's horrible the way the jetBlue people try to deceive me by respecting me, by being courteous and friendly, by giving me a comfortable seat on a new plane with an array of tasty snacks for a reasonable fare, and worst of all: that darned DirectTV to mislead me into forgetting how awfully long a transcon can be. I feel bad that the Big Boys are being hurt by this. It's not their fault that they are rude, provide ever-diminishing "service", nickel and dime us to death, jerk us around at every opportunity, and screw with our FF loyalty programs. They can't help it!

------------------
Missing the Wings of Man, Whisperliners, and the overall civility in air travel!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
speaking of other airlines, what is up with American Airlines and their Bistro "Meals". I think they should of just call it a snack pack like what jetBlue does. The like but 3 food item into a oversize bag and make it look all big.

As for big airlines charging for food, that was basically what set them apart from all the low fare no frill airlines...

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between American/United and jetBlue/Southwest? Aside from American and United having way higher walk up fares and horrible service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.