Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expensive Fares...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mbstone:
&gt;I was looking into taking a long weekend to Las Vegas in Feb (2/19-2/22). Continental was pricing out at $290 pp, whereas jetBlue was $360 pp.

Take AA JFK-LGB for $207pp, get a Mustang for $19 on PL, upgrade to a convertible for $10 at the counter, and drive to Vegas.
</font>
Nothing like wasting 9 hours driving on a three day trip!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 4:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
Nothing like wasting 9 hours driving on a three day trip!</font>

And how much does a gallon of gas cost in LA these days? $2.09-$2.20.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
Nothing like wasting 9 hours driving on a three day trip!</font>
If that lovely convertible you rented breaks down on the road to Vegas, you could well end up wasting the whole three days. (It happens more often than you'd like to think - the limit may be 75 but there aren't too many cars that can go that fast under those conditions for that long.)

However... while I've always been disappointed by the speed at which jetBlue's cheap fares have sold out, and the expensiveness of what's left, you don't think the "majors" would have slashed prices to sub-jetBlue levels on their own, do you? Even though I've never actually flown jetBlue because the price or schedule or both never work out, I do give this airline silent thanks every time I see that the walk-up fares for the intra-NY flights are less than the advance-purchase fares were 5 years ago. Yes, the public has been conned... but not by jetBlue, not in the least.

[This message has been edited by Factotum (edited 09-16-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:55 am

Thank you, Factotum. When are people going to realize that if jetBlue (and others) were not there, you'd be paying $1200 to fly AA (and others) cross country. Whether you like (or fly) B6 is not the question, but you should be thanking them for being there every day.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
I'm hardly surprised about Florida, Dan. It is easy to fly there inexpensively. Why pay more? I have never flown Song; do you like flying them?
</font>

Since you asked

I much rather fly 757's vs Airbus'. Something about big planes.

Seats are what I would call W Hotel type 'cool' colors. The trim around the leather seat is either pink, lime green, or a funny shade of blue. I guess they're trying to attract the 20 something crowd.

Uncomfortable seat vs B6.

As for food, SONG gives you free soda, juice or water. At least B6 gives you a nosh.

After grilling the flight attendants I found out that they're all Delta employees. As Delta has downsized, they can either head to SONG, or head out the door. As a matter of fact, the F/A thinks Delta will contract as SONG gets bigger.

Check in was a breeze at LGA and PBI. You use the Delta counters. But, SONG has check in kiosks. Customer service folks are there to help you. Just put your credit card in (like an ATM). 1-2-3. That easy.

Food is available for sale...and I was surprised how good it looked. I guess more passengers will start buying as word spreads. Song has a limited availability of food. For my return flight, we had 100 pax, and food loaded for 30. The F/A said that they continue to run out of the 'good' things to eat. ie salad, wraps. Even though they had leftover food, they could have sold more of several items. I mean come on...2 of this, and 3 of that were loaded. The F/A's are complaining. They say Song is still 'working' on adjusting the numbers.

The staff is very nice. Since they're Delta trained, it's hard for them to be cutsy, but they're trying.

Free blankets that are the softest I've ever felt on a plane. Pillows (not available on my flight...yet) are $5.

For some of us, LGA is closer than JFK.
For some of us, cheaper flights on SONG, are better than higher prices on jetBlue. Word will eventually get out that B6 is more expensive some/most of the time. OK, maybe not on transcons.

I'd fly them again.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
My experience is that B6 does offer very cheap fares compared to the fares on that route or sector before B6 entered the market. Even looking at current prices they do offer competitive rates but they seem to get their planes full before the majors and so sometimes the majors offer cheaper fares for last minute purchase or for flts on which B6 is nearly sold out (with their load factors they are almost always sold out in the last minute).

As Analise pointed out earlier even with competition for weekday turnaround flts on many routes without B6 the fares can be sky high. If majors match B6 fares or even offer cheaper fares it is good for us consumers - but it is not a given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.