Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK AirTrain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
JFK AirTrain

Anyone heard any news on JFK's AirTrain that was suppose to be in service by now?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since the crash which led to the death of the conductor during a test ride last summer, I don't think much progress has taken place toward the opening of the train.

I should hope that the next time they do a test ride, the MTA straps in the cement cylinders this time into place.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:30 am

Last time I flew into JFK I noticed that the testing of the train had restarted. I do NOT know, though, when the service is supposed to begin.

As to the cement blocks, the operator (who was killed) was driving the thing at about 3X the allowed speed in that location. No one knows why. I am sure glad to know that when it starts operating, it will be operated by the computers!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
According to http://www.jfkairtrain.com/airtrain , the service will start later this year.

[This message has been edited by Darien-l (edited 07-16-2003).]
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
It's really delays like this that make New York look like a third-world country.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
It's really delays like this that make New York look like a third-world country.</font>
So you didn't want them to investigate a fatal accident during the testing phase?

Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:50 pm

I think service should begin sometime around November. Not sure if the entire route will open though. Perhaps only to the A train.

There have been a lot of articles about it lately in the NY Times.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
So you didn't want them to investigate a fatal accident during the testing phase?
</font>
As I understand it, they decided to go off and get a brand new, untested system, when there are already many people-mover systems installed at airports around the world (SIN, FRA, EWR, DEN, HKG).

There was no need to select an untried system that was susceptible to such a delay. And the delay was of unbelievable length.

Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
As I understand it, they decided to go off and get a brand new, untested system, when there are already many people-mover systems installed at airports around the world (SIN, FRA, EWR, DEN, HKG).

There was no need to select an untried system that was susceptible to such a delay. And the delay was of unbelievable length.

</font>
While I am not familiar with the Int'l ones I am very happy that they did not use the same system as the one at EWR. That system goes about 3 miles an hour. DIA's is also not the quickest things I have ever seen.
JFK's system is 10 miles long and completely outdoors and needed a solution that I have not seen available, at least in this country.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 9:40 am

The report on the accident is here:

http://www.panynj.gov/pr/airtrain_rep.pdf

It's not long and is worth the read for overall information about the system.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
I think they sould of used the same system as the new SFO AirTrain. Its fast, quiet, and runs smooth. It's also fully automated and pretty much does everything that the JFK AirTrain suppose to do but with a shorter route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.