FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   JFK and LGB Info Needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/279662-jfk-lgb-info-needed.html)

flyinggolfer Feb 27, 2003 3:56 pm

JFK and LGB Info Needed

I'm going to be taking JB for the first time next month on a trip to LA and I haven't flown out of terminal 6 at JFK or LGB before. Since both my outbound and return flights depart fairly early in the morning, I was wondering if there are some decent places to grab something breakfast related or if I'd be better bringing food along from elsewhere. Thanks.

prh Feb 27, 2003 6:39 pm

I flew out of Long Beach last summer and was not impressed with food services.

NickP 1K Feb 27, 2003 7:01 pm

LGB is NOT a modern facility as far as concessions go... There is ONE airport restaurant, mediocre.

I would eat before you get there http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

DLDC Feb 27, 2003 7:13 pm

If memory serves me right last month when I flew, I was on a fairly early morning flight and they had the standard danishes, corisants(sp?) and I think there were hot breakfast sandwiches but I don't usually look for those in the morning. Good luck and enjoy your jetBlue flight! :-)

Zombie Feb 27, 2003 8:42 pm

Just flew out of JFK T6 last week. There are a couple of breakfast places - one booth-style place offering pre-wrapped pastries, bagels, etc. and a cafeteria that seemed to offer hot meals. The first was open when I arrived at 6am, but the second didn't open until around 6:30am.

I bought one of the pastries to bring on my flight, and it was quite tasty. It's worth noting that JetBlue does offer free snacks on its flights - on my flight to SJU we had a choice of potato chips, bagel chips, biscotti, or a cookie.

-Zombie-

flyinggolfer Feb 28, 2003 5:28 am

Thanks for the replies all. I'm looking forward to giving JB a try.

Analise Feb 28, 2003 8:59 am

At JFK, the cafeteria is called "Central Park" (I think) which opens at 6am for breakfast. You can eat there or do takeout.

QuietLion Feb 28, 2003 9:28 am

LGB has a truck-stop-style diner upstairs which is fine for breakfast and overlooks the field.

QL

Mike Rivers Feb 28, 2003 9:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyinggolfer:
I was wondering if there are some decent places to grab something breakfast related or if I'd be better bringing food along from elsewhere. Thanks.</font>
Long Beach Airport is a cool, art deco sort of a place that's trying to grow up. I'd eat before you get there, though. Time before last when I flew out of there, I wanted to take along a bagel and cream cheese and figured there would be a bagel shop on the road to the airport, but the best I could do was a grocery store.

The pilot shop at LGB is a cool place to browse if you have time to kill when they're open. Lots of neat books to scare you if you're not a pilot, and to interest you if you are.

SkaterJasp Mar 7, 2003 9:24 pm

What I do at JFK is head over to the international terminals for food because of their massive food court and cheaper food options. As for Long Beach, I plan my trips into and out of Long Beach on Sundays around brunch because they have this pretty nice cafe on the 2nd floor that not that many people know about and they serve a full buffet brunch every Sunday during the typical buffet hours and they have a nice view of the runway and the "terminal". Nice place to watch jetBlue planes.

evoldeal Apr 17, 2003 11:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Rivers:
Long Beach Airport is a cool, art deco sort of a place that's trying to grow up. I'd eat before you get there, though.

</font>
For all of you who are so enamered by LGB airport, It looked exactly the same when I was 5. Literally. I am only imaging what that coffee shop must look like these days. That poor airport must be packed to the gills.

For an airline that is growing as fast as jetblue, there's not much more they can do out of LGB. This is their "Los Angeles Gateway".

It will be interesting to see what happens with this airline in the long run, and see how big it gets.

Can808 Apr 20, 2003 10:17 pm

Agreed. Jetblue has ruined the secret that used to be Long Beach. Now instead of the quick easy in and out, the terminal is truly showing its age with so many people packed in it's tight spaces. Definitely feels like you're in a time warp taking a flight 20 years ago- crowds, lean ammenities and stairs to the aircraft!

obscure2k Apr 20, 2003 11:47 pm

Actually, I enjoyed the "time warp" feeling. LGB is a step back in time. I like the stairs fore and aft and not being at the mercy of the Jetway. Also, like the complimentary coffee in the waiting area at Gate 3. Pre-boarding is rather retro, but those sleek modern aircraft are anything but......

flyinggolfer Apr 21, 2003 6:42 am

I really enjoyed the "retro" experience at Long Beach as well. I'll take it over LAX any day.

------------------
-bmh

evoldeal Apr 23, 2003 9:05 pm

I just drove by there the other day, after my dad picked me up at LAX. He was gripe-ing about all the extra low-flying air traffic over Huntington Beach thanks to Jet Blue.

He also told me that LGB has been landmarked, so it will never be larger or modernized.

*edited for mature content*

[This message has been edited by evoldeal (edited 04-23-2003).]