Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Westward Ho. B6 cleans up on AA's departure and more!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:32 am
Original Poster

New York, NY (February 4, 2003) – JetBlue Airways, New York's hometown, low-fare carrier, is adding five new flights to the west coast from New York and Washington, D.C., this spring.

JetBlue will add sixth and seventh daily flights between New York/JFK and Long Beach, CA on February 20 and June 26, respectively. The airline will launch fifth and sixth daily flights between JFK and Oakland on May 1 and June 12. Also on May 1, a third daily flight between Washington/Dulles and Long Beach will be added.

"With seven flights a day between LA and New York and six a day between New York and the San Francisco Bay area, JetBlue will not only offer the best coach product and the lowest fares coast to coast, we'll also have more convenient schedules to meet all our customers' needs, said David Neeleman, CEO of JetBlue Airways.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 2:04 pm

first they stab and then twist the knife...
Old Feb 5, 2003, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'd hardly call it the best coach product coast to coast.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Just wait until the majors have you in an RJ for a trans-con

Seriously though, the only too that can compete is UAL E+ and AA's MRTC. CO, DL, US and AS have nothing on B6 due to either old planes, poor pitch, lack of IFE, or narrow seats. B6 believes that it can makeup for the lack of pitch from UA or AA with a better inflight amenities.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
I'd hardly call it the best coach product coast to coast.</font>

[This message has been edited by audio-nut (edited 02-05-2003).]
Old Feb 6, 2003, 1:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
I'd hardly call it the best coach product coast to coast.</font>
I'd take B6 hands down! Their fares are reasonable, planes are new and the biggest selling point...they care you're on the plane! A friendly smile and service is the only way to differentiate in this industry...they win hands down (Alaska gives them a run for their money though).
Old Feb 6, 2003, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely the best coach product coast to coast. I love that you can get tickets last minute and not be charged thousands of dollars. As for amenities, they can't be beat----satellite TV rules. But as said earlier, it's the people who work for them. They are outstanding professionals.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
As for amenities, they can't be beat----satellite TV rules.</font>

And the selection of entrees on the six hour flights are outstanding. Not to mention the TrueBlue program and all its exotic international destinations. Oh yes, there's satellite TV, everything from HGTV to ESPN2 to The Game Show Network.

Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:

And the selection of entrees on the six hour flights are outstanding. Not to mention the TrueBlue program and all its exotic international destinations. Oh yes, there's satellite TV, everything from HGTV to ESPN2 to The Game Show Network.</font>

Hmmm, I do detect a wee bit of sarcasm so let me address it. Airline food has never been known as a delicacy especially in coach. I think that first-class "cuisine" is not anything to write home about. I'll never understand those who wax romantically about airline food. So the fact that JetBlue has snacks works with me. Why waste money on something which is known industry-wide as a joke. How many airline food jokes are there? I prefer to bring my own.

Next the int'l destinations---JetBlue right now is a domestic airline. That's where I fly. It suits me. I've got over a million miles with CO yet whenever I want to cash-in miles to go abroad, there are never any seats. The rare times there are seats, I have to spend double what they promise in their nice glossy promotional materials. Who knows, maybe JetBlue will become part of an alliance. As for now, I could care less. I'm finding very low fares on BA, Lufthansa, KLM, and Virgin so I'm happy.

Let's talk TV. Yes I like the Game Show network---it's mindless entertainment which makes the time go by quite nicely. I also love all of the ESPN's, The History Channel, A&E, Discovery, the Food Network, all of those things you glenn make fun of. I don't like watching movies I've already seen in the movie theatres nor those I never ever wanted to see but are being shown on something like "Continental Vision". I prefer programs, not movies. JetBlue figured this out as I can't be the only one who likes TV programs. They are making a nice profit are they not?

Let's add some more. Their employees are the best domestic ticket agents and flight attendants I have ever come across. These people put out an aura that they love their jobs and respect their employer. They are PROACTIVE. Find me a FA in the majors who will come to a coach passenger and offer to lift the pullman into the overhead compartments.

Lastly, Jetblue won't charge me thousands of dollars for last minute tickets like the ones who fly to exotic international locations. Glenn, you can have them and fund their nice padded union salaries too.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:

And the selection of entrees on the six hour flights are outstanding. Not to mention the TrueBlue program and all its exotic international destinations. Oh yes, there's satellite TV, everything from HGTV to ESPN2 to The Game Show Network.

</font>
Let's see. JFK-OAK walk-up fare on B6 is around $500. JFK-SFO on UA, walk-up is $2000+.

If I were a businessman paying my way, I'll take that $1,500 saving, fly to any exotic location I wish and eat at a really fancy place.

And what does one get on UA? 9,000 FF miles and miniature-sized entrees.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:13 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!

Oh yes, there's satellite TV, everything from HGTV to ESPN2 to The Game Show Network.

</font>
At least *I* get to pick what I am watching, versus the Frasier or Becker re-run up on the screen 10 rows down!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
Absolutely the best coach product coast to coast.

----satellite TV rules.
</font>
I'm sometimes retired and sometimes a paid consultant, and I travel between Washington and LA several times a year. I've been taking Jet Blue (is "B6" the secret code name?) lately for the usual reasons.

When I'm a consultant, the company would pay for a last minute full are on another airline, but why not give 'em a break? And when I'm flying on my own nickel, I appreciate the low fares, and particularly that they only charge $25 to make changes where other airlines charge $75-100.

But the satellite TV? Yuck! I don't watch TV very much at home, so I'm not used to all of that pap and all of those commercials. I find the flight tracking to be the most interesting thing on the screen - I only which it wasn't interrupted by commercials.

With the money I saved on fares, I bought an MP3 player so I can take my own music along. I just wish they had a mid-day flight betwen IAD and LGB so I wouldn't have to get up so early or stay up so late.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:28 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Rivers:
I just wish they had a mid-day flight betwen IAD and LGB so I wouldn't have to get up so early or stay up so late. </font>
Your wishes have been answered as of May 1st.

Thu, 01 May 2003
Flight 300
2:10 pm Depart IAD
4:30 pm Arrive LGB
Old Mar 7, 2003, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club

Hmmm, I do detect a wee bit of sarcasm so let me address it. Airline food has never been known as a delicacy especially in coach. I think that first-class "cuisine" is not anything to write home about. I'll never understand those who wax romantically about airline food. So the fact that JetBlue has snacks works with me. Why waste money on something which is known industry-wide as a joke. How many airline food jokes are there? I prefer to bring my own.
</font>
I agree, airline food is a joke. Recently I flew American to Texas becuase jetBlue doesn't fly there and on my ticket it said "Meal: Breakfast" and "Snack" on the connecting flight on the way there and on the way back it said "Meal: Dinner" for the last flight and nothing for the first flight. When American said nothing, they mean nothing except a soda. When American said snack they ment a bag with three or four pretzels... the funniest part that pretty much made me laugh was their so call meal... it was nothing more than a bag of food filled with similar stuff that you find on jetBlue's little blue snack pack. Basically for the American Airline new Gourmet meals, they took what jetBlue had in their little dark blue snack pack and put it into a oversize american airline bag and call it a Bistro Breakfast / Bistro Dinner. What was even more funny was you had to grab the bag at the gate whereas jetBlue brings it to your seat... makes me wonder why they even call it a meal.... Maybe because jetBlue spoiled me by raising my standards in air travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.