Wiki Posts
Search

ORD as a hub?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA
ORD as a hub?

Ok, just a thought that came in my head. If/ when United goes under (almost certain now), would it make sense for JB to start a hub in ORD? It makes sense to me, since it basically gives them hubs in the three largest markets (LA, NYC, CHI) and a midwest hub. And I'm sure the airport would gladly accept the extra revenue after United leaves.

------------------
The skies are NOT the limit, since I am going to fly them.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
It seems to me that part of JetBlue's success comes from the uncomplicated nature of it's structure. The more hubs it adds, the less likely it is that they will be able to support them. Also, since they took Long Beach over LAX, I'm guessing that the landing fees & other airport traffic are a consideration in their expansion. ORD seems a little too crowded and a little too expensive IMHO.

On the contrary, I don't disagree that a hub at ORD would certainly open a lot of terretory up to them (i.e. - west coast flyers wouldn't have to go all the way to JFK to transfer back to the midwest, etc). The question becomes is the marginal cost and marginal complexity less than the marginal return. At some level of expansion the answer to that question becomes no (just look at the major airlines).

Just my two cents.

-elCheapo
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think any Chicago airport would be too expensive and against the JetBlue business model. Plus, Chicago is an inexpensive city to fly to from NYC so I don't see JetBlue taking on that route. Now if they were to expand to cities in Ohio, that might present quite a few opportunities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.