Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Any chance that JetBlue will fly to Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I love JetBlue. Has anyone heard if they have any plans tofly to the Great White North?

(Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax?)
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:32 pm

I don't know much about this, but I doubt they will. They would have a very difficult time keeping their fares low once they need to charge the taxes for cross-border flights. More importantly, I believe that a big part of JetBlue's success can be attributed to favorable conditions arranged for them by NY State polititians who wanted relief for upstate travellers (including themselves!) Because of this they received very favorable terms from JFK. The siituation in Canada would likely be exactly the opposite! It's likely the CDN gov't would be more interested in protecting AC (and their Canadian employees, and their Canadian tax revenuest, etc)
Old Dec 20, 2002, 6:54 am

Courtesy of Analise here's the list (directly from JetBlue) of possible expansion cities over the next 4 years:

Atlanta; Boston; Canton/Akron; Charleston, SC; Charleston, WV; Charlotte; Chicago; Cincinnati; Cleveland; Columbia, SC; Columbus, OH; Dallas/Fort Worth; Dayton; Flint, MI; Grand Rapids, MI; Greensboro, NC;
Greenville/Spartanburg; Houston; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, FL; Las Vegas, NV; Louisville; Memphis; Milwaukee; Minneapolis/St Paul; Nashville; Norfolk; Phoenix; Pittsburgh; Portland, ME; Portland, OR; Raleigh/Durham; Richmond; Sacramento; and Savannah.

...no Canadian cities
Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:38 am

If they did fly to Canada, would they be allowed to use their inflight television system once over the border? If not, that would be a strong disincentive for JetBlue to offer flights there.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:53 am

More than just the taxes, clearing customs, immigration, etc., would mean that the quick turnaround times that are a key part of B6's business model will be impossible.

Further, for most of the major destinations, there is already ample competition and resonable fares from NYC or LA. Less competitive destinations like Québec, Halifax, or Edmonton, don't really have the volumes to be worthwhile.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paulo:
More than just the taxes, clearing customs, immigration, etc., would mean that the quick turnaround times that are a key part of B6's business model will be impossible.</font>
I wonder if customs and immigration would make much of a differnece to turnaround time considering the plane and crew don't need to clear either of them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Further, for most of the major destinations, there is already ample competition and resonable fares from NYC or LA. Less competitive destinations like Québec, Halifax, or Edmonton, don't really have the volumes to be worthwhile.</font>
Are there really good deals available even for last minute and one way travel (JetBlue's specialties)?

[This message has been edited by flaco (edited 12-21-2002).]
Old Dec 23, 2002, 7:06 pm

Guys, don't forget that JetBlue already flies to low-fare Canadian airports (YYZ2 (BUF) and YVR2 (SEA) come to mind)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.