Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

If JetBlue flies JFK-LGW, would you fly it? (and bring your own food)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:02 am
Original Poster

I didn't even realize there was a JetBlue forum...

Anyway... If JetBlue flies JFK-LGW(highly unlikely that they'll get LHR), would you fly it? Let's say they charge $500 for walk-up, last minute fares, and serve only drinks and chips.(you bring your own sandwiches or whatever) You still get your live CNN and possibly BBC during the flight...

Also, how hard is it for a new airline like JetBlue to acquire the right to fly this route?
Old Aug 29, 2002, 7:14 am

No free CNN. DirecTV only works within the Continental US. That's why there isn't DirecTV for the majority of the flight to San Juan.

It wouldn't work for B6. That's going out of their niche too early. They would get killed by the majors for that.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:06 am

No to mention, the range on the A320s. I don't think A320s are ETOPS cleared for transatlantic due to its lack of range... that's like flying transatlantic on a 737.. If they do expand internationally then they would have to aquire wide bodies... then they aren't single model anymore and that changes everything....
Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:26 am

Okay I stand corrected on the 737 comment. But personaly I would not want to ride small airplanes across large amounts of ocean... I much prefer larger metal
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:24 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Once a true US-EU open skies agreement is put in place, I would not be surprised to see someone try to start a lowfare transatlantic carrier.

BWI would be a smart US base to build from, with all the lowfare service into the airport already. With service to places like London (Stanstead), Brussels (South), Frankfurt (Hahn), where customers could be fed to the Euro low fare carriers.

I could even see a loose alliance or sorts, with nothing more than links on each others websites. Someone called it the "RealWorld" alliance once....

------------------
http://concordeboy.tripod.com/continental/onepass.html
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Some of my best flights to LON were on People Express. They also didn't provide meals, but offered a great $4.00 basket with a sandwich, cheese, cookies, fruit, etc.

OK, it wasn't better than the C class flights I've taken on UA & BA, nor the Biz Elite on DL, but if I was flying coach, I still long for the good old People Express days!

By the way, I still remember the People Express flight when Mohammed Ali bought out the front cabin (it wasn't a true Biz or First, but it was a nice cabin) for him and his group.

Larry
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
While the current A320 models may not be ready for trans Atlantic travel, if there was a demand I am sure Airbus would make the design changes. There has been a lot of talk about Jetblue pressing Airbus to increase the range and capacity of A320s but Airbus is non-comittal so far.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lowfareair:
No free CNN. DirecTV only works within the Continental US. That's why there isn't DirecTV for the majority of the flight to San Juan.</font>
It's an on-board equipment limitation -- it can be retrofitted to pick up other satellites, which would provide coverage for the entire trip (although at a certain point you would lose some US-centric channels).

Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Getting back to the original question, yes I would fly JetBlue.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Needleman commented in the Financial Times Monday about taking on the incumbent US carriers while they are sorting out their problems... His comment on Transatlantic was that the business is seasonal and the only time of year to truly make money (summer?) it too short and doesn't justify the service.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 11:38 am

FWIW, the Boeing 737-700 operates a transatlantic schedule daily from Newark to Dusseldorf, operated by Privatair doing business as Lufthansa. The plane operates in an all Business Class configuration.

Old Aug 31, 2002, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The PrivatAir plane is weight restricted - not a problem with just 43 pax... But with just that many pax - kind of hard to break even at anything other than full J/C fares.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
If UK is seasonal in a short-window can this be coupled with some other markets to extend the season?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by enjoystravel:
If UK is seasonal in a short-window can this be coupled with some other markets to extend the season?</font>
Australia, New Zealand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.