Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest/JetBlue Merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Southwest/JetBlue Merger

Any thoughts regarding a Southwest/JetBlue merger?? Would this be allowed by the gov.? This would seem to be quite a marriage!

Any possibilities of either acquiring or being acquired by anyone else?
Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:13 am

My opinion of a Southwest/jetBlue merger would be EWWwwww considering Southwest has more money now and I doubt they'd adapt jetBlue's business plans
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:53 am

Aceflyer2, I think you must be on crack or something similiar! The reason JetBlue exiosts is because the CEO, David Neelman worked for Morris Air, a carrier that Southwest bought. Neelman and Kelleher didn't exactly have the same views when it came to how to run a business, and the 2 parted company. Part of the deal was that Neelman wasn't allowed to start/join an airline within a 2 year period. There is no love lost between the two either. Maybe Neelman got the Airbus as a safety net from a possible Southwest buyout.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thought it might make for interesting discussion. Funny, sometimes, enemies turn out to be the best of friends. Think of how a marriage like this would shake up the industry.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phllax:
Aceflyer2, I think you must be on crack or something similiar! The reason JetBlue exiosts is because the CEO, David Neelman worked for Morris Air, a carrier that Southwest bought. Neelman and Kelleher didn't exactly have the same views when it came to how to run a business, and the 2 parted company. Part of the deal was that Neelman wasn't allowed to start/join an airline within a 2 year period. There is no love lost between the two either. Maybe Neelman got the Airbus as a safety net from a possible Southwest buyout. </font>
Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Disclaimer: I am not on crack.

How about the merged SouthWest and JetBlue taking over parts or leftovers of UA?
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/013592.html
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:36 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Anyone else think that maybe the 320's got the edge when they were looking to buy airplanes just so JetBlue wouldn't be an attractive takeover target for WN?

Just a thought...
Old Aug 27, 2002, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid:
Disclaimer: I am not on crack.

How about the merged SouthWest and JetBlue taking over parts or leftovers of UA?
</font>
Nah. You're just smokin lefty Lucky's.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 6:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
Anyone else think that maybe the 320's got the edge when they were looking to buy airplanes just so JetBlue wouldn't be an attractive takeover target for WN?

Just a thought...
</font>
I actually did have that thought, myself, however having a different aircraft type didn't stop Southwest from taking over Muse Air, renaming it TranStar, and operating it as a separate entity before finally shutting it down in the late 1980's

LoneStarMike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.