Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

I thought JetBlue was my airline, now I'll never fly it again

I thought JetBlue was my airline, now I'll never fly it again

Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down I thought JetBlue was my airline, now I'll never fly it again

Booked BUF > JFK > DUB on Mint, which was going to be my first-ever first-class experience. I was super excited, and it was affordable because JFK to DUB is a new route for JetBlue. My flight to JFK was at 3pm, and the day of the flight, a bit after 8am I get an email (not a call, mind you) saying my flight to DUB has been canceled and they've re-booked me on a new itinerary the following day via BOS. They weren't giving me a refund or any compensation but the new seats would be the last row of economy.

What the hell? How can they cancel a flight hours before it's set to takeoff? My plans were set, I couldn't just wait a day to fly out. When I got to the airport, I asked and the desk agent claimed it was weather, but all other flights going in and out of JFK and BUF were fine. If it was "weather" then I'd have to assume it was weather somewhere else in the country, and it caused a domino effect wherein JetBlue lacks the planes or operational flexibility to withstand. In short, it wasn't weather, and maybe that excuse was a lie anyway. Instead, I ended up getting a last-minute fare via United in New York and Aer Lingus - in the end, I paid more to sit in a middle seat in a separate row from my travel companion, who was also in a middle seat.

What I find infuriating is that it was the BUF > JFK flight that was canceled, not the JFK > DUB flight. I could've easily gotten myself to JFK if JetBlue had given me the chance to make the flight to DUB. Instead, they canceled the entire itinerary and our Mint seats were gone. At that point, I had no choice but to book something else last-minute.

You can check my post history - I took a flight to London earlier this year and I was so impressed with the experience that I thought JetBlue was going to be my new airline - the food and wifi were excellent, the plane was new and clean, and everything was smooth. People here warned me about unreliability and operational issues but I brushed it off - delays and cancellations are rare and it's not something I need to worry about, I thought. Well, now I know what everyone was talking about. I am never, ever booking JetBlue again.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the people who warned you. I only fly JetBlue when I'm confident I can come up with an acceptable backup on my own, or when they are the only choice for a nonstop flight. It is baffling to me how their inflight experience can be so much better than other airlines but everything before the plane is in the air is so much worse.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I only fly JetBlue these days unless there is no alternative. There usually is, thankfully, most likely Delta given my travel patterns. It's one giant CF over there.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
This is the risk you take when choosing JetBlue, especially internationally with few affordable last-minute alternatives. They are often cheaper than other airlines, but at much higher risk. I rarely book JB now without a backup option, and if it's someplace I truly *need* to be then I do not even consider JB as an option.

This would be a great addition to this already-existing thread: I know its been discussed, but what in the heck happened to Jetblue

-J.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:25 pm

BOS to CDG canceled tonight but i think it was due to CDG strikes, still, it causes major cascading headaches. Folks on tonight's flight have 0 options to get to Paris tonight and those hoping to return to BOS tomorrow dont have a plane and most likely will be stuck in Paris. Doubt they will squeeze everyone on the JFK flight. All blue needs is a back to back TATL cancellation and they are totally screwed
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Masterofpuppets
BOS to CDG canceled tonight but i think it was due to CDG strikes, still, it causes major cascading headaches. Folks on tonight's flight have 0 options to get to Paris tonight and those hoping to return to BOS tomorrow dont have a plane and most likely will be stuck in Paris. Doubt they will squeeze everyone on the JFK flight. All blue needs is a back to back TATL cancellation and they are totally screwed
Air passengers traveling to and from Paris experienced significant disruptions Thursday, despite a decision by air traffic controllers to cancel a strike after last-minute negotiations. Flight operations were substantially reduced because of adjustments made to schedules ahead of the proposed industrial action.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Masterofpuppets
I have two rules for flights when I need to absolutely be there on-time

1. Don't fly JetBlue
2. Don't fly through CDG

Anyways, will report back on my JetBlue BOS-CDG RT in a few months because I don't take my own advice (:
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:02 pm

I took advantage of the delta mosaic match. I want B6 to succeed. Will only fly B6 TATL until domestic ops improve.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
That sucks... its sounds like a very Jetblue thing to have happened. Been cancelled and stranded by them more times that I can count.

We've been withdrawing from Jetblue more and more. Their in flight product is decent enough, but everything else just sucks. I still cannot believe that their digital experience is as bad as it is after all these years.

The only saving grace is that they are an Amex transfer partner, so I can do something with my Amex points, but even there I don't really care anymore.

Funny too, that I've been looking at their transatlantic service and pricing, and candidly, I just don't care. We've been using Norse Atlantic to get across the ocean since they launched flights, and its been fantastic every time. I just can't get excited about Jetblue....

We have their credit card, and that doesn't even get us anything of value other than points that can't really be used for much. Probably gonna cancel that too
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is it this bad on a transcon LAX-JFK. Traveling on a Thursday, 2pm departure, there are a few flights after. Don't want a real redeye but could handle a 1am arrival without much problem. If those flights are full, will they offer another airline (say AA)? AA often has F open on their LAX-JFK.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
They will not rebook you on another airline under any circumstances, even when a flight is cancelled due to reasons entirely under their control. Your only options will be a refund or another JetBlue flight.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
They will not rebook you on another airline under any circumstances, even when a flight is cancelled due to reasons entirely under their control. Your only options will be a refund or another JetBlue flight.
A family friend was rebooked on AA short-haul due to a B6 cancellation about 18 months ago. Plus a hotel night.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:59 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by nsx
A family friend was rebooked on AA short-haul due to a B6 cancellation about 18 months ago. Plus a hotel night.
That was probably in dying days of NEA. Doubtful that would ever happen today.
GW McLintock, MikeBOS and nsx like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not what I was hoping but thanks.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sounds to me like this is worth a USDOT complaint. If they really gave you false info regarding the cancellation of the JFK-DUB segment, did not offer rebooking into the next available J option, did not offer a refund or to compensate for an involuntary downgrade … the USDOT needs to know and put some pressure on B6 to fix these issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.