Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Blue Fare Change Flight/Cancellation Policy?

Jetblue Blue Fare Change Flight/Cancellation Policy?

Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Okay then Jetblue seems very lenient then with this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Yes. You have a year from the date of purchase.

Yes... I have canceled and rebooked using TB dozens of times. As long as it is used and has a $0 balance by the expiry date which is one year from the original purchase, you can use as you see fit. Once you go past the expiration date, if you cancel again then the TB will be unusable.

-J.

I just thought about another situation. Would something like this be allowed or not?

Same situation as mentioned above where you purchased ticket on December 8 for $250. The flight is on December 22. You aren't for sure if you will be flying on that day so you can still cancel on that day for travel bank credit. You said you could even cancel it on December 22 like before they allow boarding but of course that is really close so let say 2 hours before departure.

Does jetblue or any airline allow you to book another flight with the same to and from destination and say you book another flight but this one on January 8 if you already have a ticket booked on December 22? The reason being if you do a new booking, you could courtesy cancel it 24 hours everyday for many days? So let's say you do fly on December 22. Well you would then make sure you courtesy cancel your January 8 flight on December 22 for the January 8 so that way you get a credit card refund? But let say you cancel your December 22 flight on that day or before it...well you get travel bank of $250.

Now couldn't you courtesy cancel the January 8 flight. Now you can then use your travel bank of $250 to book future flights until you are sure you will be flying that day?

Or is something like this not allowed or frowned upon or illegal? I remember I heard some term called flight blocking or something like that? The thing is what if you booked a January 8 flight with another carrier like american or delta? However, I thought there would be an issue but then you have people flying to one place for few days and coming back and then flying back in a week or two. So that would mean someone could technically book multiple flights with their account and just make sure they courtesy cancel so they don't end up with more travel bank than they want?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jerry90210
I just thought about another situation. Would something like this be allowed or not?

Same situation as mentioned above where you purchased ticket on December 8 for $250. The flight is on December 22. You aren't for sure if you will be flying on that day so you can still cancel on that day for travel bank credit. You said you could even cancel it on December 22 like before they allow boarding but of course that is really close so let say 2 hours before departure.

Does jetblue or any airline allow you to book another flight with the same to and from destination and say you book another flight but this one on January 8 if you already have a ticket booked on December 22? The reason being if you do a new booking, you could courtesy cancel it 24 hours everyday for many days? So let's say you do fly on December 22. Well you would then make sure you courtesy cancel your January 8 flight on December 22 for the January 8 so that way you get a credit card refund? But let say you cancel your December 22 flight on that day or before it...well you get travel bank of $250.

Now couldn't you courtesy cancel the January 8 flight. Now you can then use your travel bank of $250 to book future flights until you are sure you will be flying that day?

Or is something like this not allowed or frowned upon or illegal? I remember I heard some term called flight blocking or something like that? The thing is what if you booked a January 8 flight with another carrier like american or delta? However, I thought there would be an issue but then you have people flying to one place for few days and coming back and then flying back in a week or two. So that would mean someone could technically book multiple flights with their account and just make sure they courtesy cancel so they don't end up with more travel bank than they want?
I have done it before, and actually with the 24-hour rule so I was playing with a real cash refund. It would be frowned upon but it is not against any rules. The only time I ran into trouble with this was when I did that for like a week with AS and then actually kept the ticket, but then had major IROPS when flying and (long story short, which I will not get into here) had to dispute the charge with Chase, and it raised a lot of questions with the bank. Anyway yes you can do it but it is generally a poor practice.

If I may, I encourage you to try to be more concise next time: "can I cancel and rebook using the Travel Bank repeatedly?" would have sufficed

In your case, however, does it really matter if you have a ticket or if it's in a Travel Bank? JetBlue is going to keep your money regardless in your case. Many people book placeholder tickets and will cancel and rebook as their plans change. Just remember that you need to have something booked that you plan to actually fly before the TB expires.

-J.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I have done it before, and actually with the 24-hour rule so I was playing with a real cash refund. It would be frowned upon but it is not against any rules. The only time I ran into trouble with this was when I did that for like a week with AS and then actually kept the ticket, but then had major IROPS when flying and (long story short, which I will not get into here) had to dispute the charge with Chase, and it raised a lot of questions with the bank. Anyway yes you can do it but it is generally a poor practice.

If I may, I encourage you to try to be more concise next time: "can I cancel and rebook using the Travel Bank repeatedly?" would have sufficed

In your case, however, does it really matter if you have a ticket or if it's in a Travel Bank? JetBlue is going to keep your money regardless in your case. Many people book placeholder tickets and will cancel and rebook as their plans change. Just remember that you need to have something booked that you plan to actually fly before the TB expires.

-J.

Okay. Well my earlier question before this was can you cancel and rebook using the travel bank repeatedly and you said yes based on my example. But this time it is like... okay can you book 2 flights since well you going to have to take a flight or take the travel bank credit. And the last thing you want is to get 2 travel bank credit if you might not use it up.

Well the thing in my example would mean someone could literally hold 2 tickets from same destination to the same place and with the earlier one, either fly or just cancel it and get travel bank while with the later date flight, they could literally cancel it everyday within 24 hours. However, the only issue with the later flight is you can only do up till a week before that flight departs or you going to get travel credit. I am surprised this is allowed but like you said frowned upon.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Jetblue Cancellation Policy?

Is it still the same as it was previously? I recently noticed that jetblue has increased the price of a checked bag and it used to be 30 dollars if you include it online but now it's 40 dollars? I read this has to do with peak season.

Is it the same policy when you book a flight, you have 24 hours to cancel for a full credit card refund as long as the trip is at least 7 days from it? But if you don't cancel it within 24 hours, you can then cancel or change the flight until the night before it departs for travelbank credit as long as you book Jetblue Blue or higher right? Say you have a flight on June 2 at 3pm. You can cancel the flight for travel bank or change it to a different date and time till when exactly? Could you change your flight to a few days later but do that on June 2 at say 8am? I have a carry on and a checked bag so I always have to book Jetblue Blue and can't book Jetblue Basic.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Your first paragraph has nothing to do with the thread topic. But yes they have variable bag fees now.

The cancelation policy has not changed. The 24-hour policy is a DOT requirement. After 24 hours on a Blue or higher fare you will get a Travel Bank.

I have said this before and I'm say it again. You are too nervous of a flyer to be taking JetBlue. You should not be taking these risks. Don't do it to yourself. I don't anymore (though somehow I'm typing this from an A220 over Virginia; don't ask me how I ended up here as I'm trying to figure that out myself).

-J.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I have taken Jetblue many times. The few times when I would cancel it after 24 hours, I would get the travel bank. I wanted to know if it is still the same as months ago.

Does this variable fee make others go fly on Delta or American instead? I was surprised when I saw $40 because I recall it was $30 previously.
Old May 25, 2024, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have taken Jetblue many times. The few times when I would cancel it after 24 hours, I would get the travel bank. I wanted to know if it is still the same as months ago.

Why would it change? The 24 hour rule is DOT mandated and the cancel for credit is now basically industry standard.

Does this variable fee make others go fly on Delta or American instead? I was surprised when I saw $40 because I recall it was $30 previously.
FT thread: checked bag fees being raised

CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/busin...ase/index.html

-J.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Okay so can others confirm this? Let say you book a 1 way flight on June 10 at say 3pm. The latest time you can cancel this flight and get travelbank credit is... when? The posts above said you could literally do this few hours before check in? So you could literally cancel it at 12pm and then get travelbank? But the safer side would be right before midnight on June 9?

But if you want to switch the flight on June 10 at 3pm to say June 11 at 3pm. You can still do this on June 10 before 12pm or so? Or do it no later than midnight on June 9?
Old Jun 12, 2024, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Can someone here confirm this? Let's say your flight is on June 15 at 3pm and you booked Jetblue blue. What is the latest time you can cancel this flight for travelbank? Can you still do this at say June 15 at midnight or later? Can you still do this at say 1pm if you don't think you can make the flight? Someone say it is when they start allowing people to board the flight so that would mean you could still cancel it and get travelbank at 1:45pm even assuming nobody boarded yet?
Old Jun 12, 2024, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Let's say your flight is on June 15 at 3pm and you booked Jetblue blue. What is the latest time you can cancel this flight for travelbank? Can you still do this at say June 15 at midnight or later? Can you still do this at say 1pm if you don't think you can make the flight? Someone say it is when they start allowing people to board the flight so that would mean you could still cancel it and get travelbank at 1:45pm even assuming nobody boarded yet?
Let's say you call or chat with JetBlue and ask them for a definitive answer.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your question has been asked and answered -- see upthread. If my answers were not good enough, I apologize.

You'd have to call or text JetBlue for any more clarification.

-J.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

One post says before the scheduled departure time but your post says before boarding so which is it? So if your flight departs at 3pm, then 2pm would be no later for you to cancel it if you can't make it then right or you want to cancel it? They seem to start boarding around 45 minutes before depature.

I ask this in case I don't make it there on time. Like I should get there around 12pm but if I don't get there till probably 1:30pm or even later, well it would be hard because I have checked luggage and need time for that. So no later than 2pm you can cancel it then and still get travel bank?
Old Jun 12, 2024, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call JetBlue and ask. You'll probably get conflicting answers from them too.

Are you realistically going all the way to the airport and leaving yourself a 30-45 minute window to cancel a flight? And hope that the app or website is fully functional, or that you don't have to wait on hold on the phone? If that's the way you travel, you have a lot bigger issues to worry about than canceling a single ticket. If anything just take the next flight.

JetBlue currently has $49 promo fares out of ISP. Why not book one of those, and then try canceling it right before departure yourself? If you can't do it, you're only out $49, but at least you'll have a definitive answer.

tl;dr it's 45 MINUTES. If you can't give yourself that much of a buffer then you should not be flying commercially.

/notifications OFF

-J.
jjbiv and moondog like this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since for some unknown reason you refuse to ask JetBlue yourself, I asked. Here was their response:

With a Blue fare, you can cancel and get the credit up to the departure time. As long as you cancel before the departure time you'll receive a Travel Bank credit.
So it is up to the time of departure. There's the answer. Wishing you the best of luck with your travels.

-J.
moondog, jjbiv and diburning like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.