Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Harrowing experience with Jetblue involuntary denied boarding

Harrowing experience with Jetblue involuntary denied boarding

Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Roswell Dawg
Something worse happened to my 20 year old son.

Flight was supposed to depart at 5. Gets to the airport before 3. Due to weather, and then crew shortages, and then maintainance, the flight was delayed multiple times and didn't departy until after 1am!!! Jet Blue had very poor communications to the pax all along. A group of 3 pax including my son asked the gate attendant for the status or when they would cancel the flight. Gate attendant became surly and then involuntarily denied board at 1am.

My son had to get a hotel, uber, and a replacement flight and never got the flight he paid for. What recourse does he have in this situation? It seems grossly unfair that an airline can make you stay at the airport waiting for them to get their act together until the wee hours of the morning, and then they can deny you boarding but you are unable to cancel or even recevie reliable informatoin about the status.
I would suggest providing them with receipts and asking for reimbursement. If they don't do that, file a DOT complaint.

Of course in this case your son would have to do all of this and not you. I don't necessarily think this is worse since he is an adult and the OP had all of this happen to their minor child.

-J.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Roswell Dawg
Something worse happened to my 20 year old son.

Flight was supposed to depart at 5. Gets to the airport before 3. Due to weather, and then crew shortages, and then maintainance, the flight was delayed multiple times and didn't departy until after 1am!!! Jet Blue had very poor communications to the pax all along. A group of 3 pax including my son asked the gate attendant for the status or when they would cancel the flight. Gate attendant became surly and then involuntarily denied board at 1am.

My son had to get a hotel, uber, and a replacement flight and never got the flight he paid for. What recourse does he have in this situation? It seems grossly unfair that an airline can make you stay at the airport waiting for them to get their act together until the wee hours of the morning, and then they can deny you boarding but you are unable to cancel or even recevie reliable informatoin about the status.
Your son was involuntarily denied boarding because the flight was oversold and he drew the short straw or because of his behavior at the gate? If the latter, I wouldn't expect anything except for perhaps a refund of the unused ticket. Any airline will take the side of their employee every time in these situations. If the former, he's definitely entitled to denied boarding compensation.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I would suggest providing them with receipts and asking for reimbursement. If they don't do that, file a DOT complaint.

Of course in this case your son would have to do all of this and not you. I don't necessarily think this is worse since he is an adult and the OP had all of this happen to their minor child.

-J.
Good advice. A payment card dispute would be an option if this didn't work
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I would suggest to the school that they either book through JetBlue Vacations in the future or get group rates directly with the hotel and airline in the future. That will give you more flexibility in situations like this. I find it hard to believe they'd kick off a group of kids who are already booked in favor of another unbooked group though. JetBlue doesn't typically oversell. And if that is actually what happened, I would 100% go to the media because that's really bad PR.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I would suggest to the school that they either book through JetBlue Vacations in the future or get group rates directly with the hotel and airline in the future. That will give you more flexibility in situations like this. I find it hard to believe they'd kick off a group of kids who are already booked in favor of another unbooked group though. JetBlue doesn't typically oversell. And if that is actually what happened, I would 100% go to the media because that's really bad PR.
I disagree (and I know we don't disagree often). The chances of this happening are usually pretty slim (I guess as long as you don't travel on JetBlue), and for a group such as a school group the benefits of going through a competent travel agent outweigh the theoretical savings of booking yourself.

-J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.