Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Why can't I use travel bank on a points flight (for the taxes portion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

From everything I read online, including jetblue.com, travel bank credit should be usable for award flights. So why can't I seem to use it here for the $11 fees (this is for me and my SO, JFk-SEA one-way flight)
Spoiler

Why does it say "travel bank funds may not be combined with points".
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:25 am

Travel Bank can no longer be used for taxes on award tickets

This is very new and not great: the Travel Bank option is no longer available to pay taxes on award tickets. Instead, it says "Travel Bank funds may not be combined with points".

This makes canceling and rebooking awards when the price drops not quite free, need to add new money for taxes every time you rebook.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Oh no... this is bad. This effectively means you (1) cannot rebook award flights if the rate drops without spending new money, and (2) can't use award flights as a backup for other travel purchased without spending said money.

I hope if this is the case, the taxes and fees are returned to one's credit card. I'm sure that's not the case, so this is really messed up.

-J.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:05 pm

I just did this, 15k point drop for a Mint flight so I canceled the original booking, the $5.60 went to travel bank, then rebooked the flight for less points and had to use credit card for the $5.60.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Oh no... this is bad. This effectively means you (1) cannot rebook award flights if the rate drops without spending new money, and (2) can't use award flights as a backup for other travel purchased without spending said money.

I hope if this is the case, the taxes and fees are returned to one's credit card. I'm sure that's not the case, so this is really messed up.

-J.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:03 pm

I'm not used to Jet Blue but came here with this issue, hoping to find an answer. Unfortunately, it looks like a terrible policy. Is this a recent change?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:51 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
On the other hand, I just cancelled a points reservation two days ago, and for the first time ever the taxes were refunded to my credit card, not issued back as travel bank credit.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by dw
On the other hand, I just cancelled a points reservation two days ago, and for the first time ever the taxes were refunded to my credit card, not issued back as travel bank credit.
And just to clarify, it wasn't within 24 hours of booking, right?

Many of us have booked award tickets with the intent of getting the money back to the original form of payment. If we booked before this change, they should honor the old policy. This sounds like a class action waiting to happen.

-J.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:02 am

The website still says that Travel Bank funds can be combined with points:

directly contradicted by the payment page
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by AustinPilot
The website still says that Travel Bank funds can be combined with points:

directly contradicted by the payment page
That was there this morning, but has now been changed:
  • Travel Bank funds can be combined with other forms of payment, such as a credit card.

https://www.jetblue.com/help/travel-bank-credits
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:06 pm

Oh how this makes my blood boil... This is a blatant money grab by Jetblue. Once I burn all my points with them, I am gone. This is an absurd policy, and one of many recent changes that eventually breaks the camels back, not mention changes to trueblue today.

I needed to change a points booking (that was made before this change where I used travel bank funds for the taxes) to another day, but the agents told me I had to cancel/rebook. So of course I got the taxes refunded to travel bank but went to rebook and had to charge taxes to credit card instead of using the same refunded amount. Nonsense.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
And just to clarify, it wasn't within 24 hours of booking, right?

Many of us have booked award tickets with the intent of getting the money back to the original form of payment. If we booked before this change, they should honor the old policy. This sounds like a class action waiting to happen.

-J.
That’s correct, this was not within 24 hours and was the first time I’ve received a refund on a points reservation to my credit card instead of as travelbank credit
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I also had to cancel a reservation made for my mother with points. The $5.60 went back to CC rather than travel bank. The reservation was in her name but the points were mine.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: JetBlue
Since the taxes don't go to jetblue, the taxes have to be refunded to the credit card. If jetblue isn't doing this, then the government should step in or a lawsuit will soon follow. Something is seriously out of whack here. They can't not refund your money AND prevent you from using your money. That's theft.

Last edited by Jimval26; Dec 20, 2022 at 9:26 am
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue
I just chatted with JetBlue. They claim you can use your travel bank cash with the points but you must have enough cash in the travel bank. I know in the past I have used points, travel bank, and a small charge to my credit card. They claim you can’t use three payment methods. So if you have $300 in your travel bank and are being charged $305, you need to pay with your credit card and leave the $300 unused in your travel bank. JetBlue sucks. Somebody should sue them.

FamilyFlyer23 and mkotlov like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

According to a DansDeals FB post, you can use TravelBank funds if you book over the phone.

As I expected, JetBlue responded that you can still do it over the phone.
As noted upthread, I still this is a class action waiting to happen.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.