Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Q&A Thread on JetBlue : Ask your newbie questions here!

Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GW McLintock
Welcome to the JetBlue TrueBlue Forum FLAME-FREE Q&A Thread!

As seen on many other forums, the Flame-Free Q&A Thread is a friendly place for members to ask anything, even the most basic of questions. No snarky responses here! There are no stupid questions in this thread. This is a centralized place to ask simple questions for which you may not want to start an entire thread. A special effort will be made to avoid using acronyms, jargon, or other language difficult to understand to those who may not fly JetBlue so often. Personally I've found this type of resource to be immensely helpful on other forums, and it's about time that we have one here.

So without further ado... ask away
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Q&A Thread on JetBlue : Ask your newbie questions here!

Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:30 am

Earning on UK Flights

As most of frequent flyers know, UK has really extraordinarily high fees especially flying on premium cabins.

My Mint roundtrip flight to London is $2089.27, but base fare is only $443 with fee & taxes at $1646.27.
Will my earning me only on the $443 base fare?
If not, how much of the tax and fee will be counted towards Mosaic qualification?
I am trying to calculate if I need to take another trip to make sure I am qualified for Mosaic next year.

Well since no one has the answer, I called JetBlue.
The agent told me that their system did not allow them to find out how many TrueBlue points on any trip. They don't have any phone number that I can contact.

However she told me that I will only earn points based on the $443 base fares, despite the $1646.27 tax and fee I paid on the ticket. I will definitely refrain from booking JetBlue flights to London in the future. It is just ridiculous that they did not make some exception for this European bound flights for certain fees.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Sep 21, 2022 at 8:56 am Reason: Answering my own question
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Earning points on base miles is and always has been part of the terms and conditions of the program. I can't speak for other airlines, but American has the same restriction, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is standard. Points cost money, and giving points on pass throughs that don't earn any revenue for an airline doesn't make sense.

From aa.com, but emphasis mine:

Which AAdvantage miles dont count toward earning Loyalty Points?Expand
  • Bonus miles earned from special promotions
  • Miles from Buy, Gift, Transfer transactions
  • Government taxes, fees, and other charges associated with buying a ticket do not count toward earning AAdvantage miles and do not count toward earning Loyalty Points
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:38 pm

We already purchased Blue Extra fare tickets with EMS for a roundtrip flight in January from JFK to PUJ. We will qualify for Mosaic (by $50k spend) this month. I know that it can take some time for that status to reflect, but assuming it's in effect for our January flight I have a few questions:

1. Will we receive any kind of points rebate for the EMS seats since we already paid $ for them before we become Mosiac?
2. Will we receive extra points for this flight even though it was purchased before we become Mosaic?
3. Is there a Mosaic priority check-in line at PUJ airport?
4. Is there a lounge access benefit for Mosaic members at PUJ airport?
5. We have another trip planned to MBJ next year (haven't bought tickets yet) - We've seen the priority check-in line there, but is there lounge access benefit for Mosaic there?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:16 pm

I'm just double checking: Since the Emirates partnership ended, there's no longer a way to book a points partner redemption for Mint flights to or from London, right? There's some award space open for a flight to London I'd like to snag using a partner (so it would be priced with an award chart rather than revenue based) and Emirates used to be the way to do this, but they're no longer an option. The AA redemption partnership excludes flights to London, so I can't use them. Am I overlooking someone or is JetBlue now completely bereft of redemption partners for their flights to London?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:01 pm

Adding checked bag

guys - I'm booking a Blue award flight. Is it true that checked-bag with Jetblue is $30 before check-in and at online check-in 24 hours prior, you are required to pay more? This is for a JFK-PVR flight

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:15 am

Guys - I booked a pre-thanksgiving trip to PVR that has a return to JFK on 11/24 (after that obviously miles needed is much higher). If there's a chance closer to that date to perhaps delay the return to 11/26 or 27th and the app shows the same 10k mileage per seat, will Jetblue be able to change without penalty? I don't expect there will be availability since so many people like to return on Sat/Sun but just in case

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - I booked a pre-thanksgiving trip to PVR that has a return to JFK on 11/24 (after that obviously miles needed is much higher). If there's a chance closer to that date to perhaps delay the return to 11/26 or 27th and the app shows the same 10k mileage per seat, will Jetblue be able to change without penalty? I don't expect there will be availability since so many people like to return on Sat/Sun but just in case

Thanks
You should be able to change award bookings without penalty -- any taxes and fees will go into a Travel Bank but should be usable in <5 minutes (in rare cases up to 24 hours), and the points should redeposit immediately.

Notice how I say "should be" and not "will"... their website is notorious for not always working (though it has been improving). Worst case scenario is you call and wait on hold for a few hours, but this is how it's supposed to work and if you need an actual person to push things along they will be able to.

-J.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:49 am

Alright ad am I right that it's very unlikely Jetblue will provide a low miles PVR-JFK on a date like 11/25 or 11/26
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Just to clarify, you would have to cancel and rebook your ticket. "Changes" are not permitted on award tickets.

Alright ad am I right that it's very unlikely Jetblue will provide a low miles PVR-JFK on a date like 11/25 or 11/26
This is also very true

-J.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:02 am

Answering my own question - $30 for 24+ hours before flight and $35 after or at airport. IMHO $35 is better as cancelations can always occur
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:03 am

Guys - my award trip I booked last week is now 1/2 the points required on jetblue. Can the jetblue agent adjust on the phone without canceling/rebooking?

Also if I should rather do it myself online, should I book a 2nd trip with same passengers/dates and then book the original trip? I did paid $463 in taxes in total for 4 people too so what happens with that?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys - my award trip I booked last week is now 1/2 the points required on jetblue. Can the jetblue agent adjust on the phone without canceling/rebooking?

Also if I should rather do it myself online, should I book a 2nd trip with same passengers/dates and then book the original trip? I did paid $463 in taxes in total for 4 people too so what happens with that?

Thanks
I may have just answered this in another thread but award tickets cannot be modified, only canceled. You should be able to cance/rebook online and the funds will go into a Travel Bank that you can (theoretically) use almost immediately.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.

-J.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My turn to ask a question. What is the absolute latest you can cancel an award ticket on a Blue fare? Already checked in and I have the option to cancel checkin but not the ticket itself. Just wondering. Is this something they could do at the ticket counter?

-J.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
My turn to ask a question. What is the absolute latest you can cancel an award ticket on a Blue fare? Already checked in and I have the option to cancel checkin but not the ticket itself. Just wondering. Is this something they could do at the ticket counter?
The answer is up to departure, I guess. I canceled 4 hours before ETD and got everything back.

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:29 pm

It feels like this should be an incredibly obvious thing but I am having trouble believing it--does Jetblue really not have a mealservice (however mediocre) on transcon flights? Just figuring out whether I need to eat at the airport today before leaving and am mildly shocked that the answer is "if you don't want sunchips and a diet coke over 6+ hours, yes" . Between their terminal's bad lounge options and this, I'm failing to grasp why anyone chooses the airline for transcon if they aren't flying in Mint or taking a short flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.