Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

How to get Aa elite benefits on JetBlue

How to get Aa elite benefits on JetBlue

Old Jun 9, 22, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
Am I correct to assume we'll be able to pick seats at the 24 hour mark for free, including EMS seats if they're available? My wife is going to be pissed if we end up with middle seats separated from the kid...
​​​​​​This recent post in the AA forum indicates that EMS seats now can be selected during online check-in for AA elites; it is silent about the ability to select seats for non-status members in the same booking:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34320644-post18.html

Do you have the wife's and kid's B6 FFNs in the reservation? I'm not sure if that would interfere with your ability as an AAdvantage elite to select seats for them.

And is that the kid formerly known as "babymicah"? Tempus fugit.
Old Jun 10, 22, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
​​​​​​This recent post in the AA forum indicates that EMS seats now can be selected during online check-in for AA elites; it is silent about the ability to select seats for non-status members in the same booking:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34320644-post18.html
Thanks. I missed that thread but it seems very on point!

Do you have the wife's and kid's B6 FFNs in the reservation? I'm not sure if that would interfere with your ability as an AAdvantage elite to select seats for them.
We have my and the kid's B6 FFNs in the reservation. Wife is the one with AA status (thanks to the pre-BIS-requirement million miler thing). But the seat selection page specifically says that even Mosaics get charged a fee before the 24 hour mark for seat selection with Blue Basic fares, so I have a feeling that zohyeahz's experience may have been aberrant (or maybe the policy changed in the last month or two).

And is that the kid formerly known as "babymicah"? Tempus fugit.
Good memory! The kid formerly known as babymicah is in high school now and won't be joining us on this trip. This one is younger.
Old Jun 10, 22, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have my and the kid's B6 FFNs in the reservation. Wife is the one with AA status (thanks to the pre-BIS-requirement million miler thing).
You can, of course, choose to enter either your B6 FFN or your AA FFN in your B6 reservation record, and earn miles with either carrier. If you mostly fly B6, then it makes sense to credit there for redemption purposes. If you expect to amass enough AA miles to redeem for travel on AA, then you might consider crediting your B6 flights to AA. AA's "Web Special" awards sometimes offer remarkable value, like New York to California for just 6K miles one way during low-demand periods. (No, not on the nonstops.) And with all AAdvantage flight redemptions now being fully refundable. . . .
Old Jun 11, 22, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
SAME-DAY SWITCH 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE INFO
Just a small point of information. The website I think is a little silent on whether 24-hour same-day switch (extended to MOsiac membes) also applies to AA elites. I was unable to do a same-day switch online 24 hours in advance, I called, custome service rep first said it wasn't possible, then said that they dont' have access to my AA elite status, then (after I suggestd they remove my JetBlue number from the record, it had both AA and B6 for some reason), and after consulting with supervisor, they were able to do a same-day switch for a flight the next day. To be clear, at 10 a.m., I moved from a 6:30 a.m. flight the next day to a 3:30 p.m. flight the next day.

Now i need to wait until 24 hours before departure, at which point I can check in, hopefully get an even more space seat, and then I get a carry-on allowance.

And the above is all true for my travelling companion on the same PNR, who has no elite status.
Old Jun 12, 22, 5:45 am

I just booked a Blue Basic fare for 1 AA Plat and 2 no-status B6 members. On the seat selection page it says "Blue Basic fares are subject to a fee for advance seat selection.

My wife is going to be pissed if we end up with middle seats separated from the kid...
Maybe you should have picked a non-basic fare then? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats View Post
Maybe you should have picked a non-basic fare then? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Right. I only asked because upthread someone else said they'd been able to book seats on a Basic fare. Wish me luck!
Old Jun 17, 22, 6:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hertz 5-Star, Wyndham Rewards Platinum
Just booked a Blue Extra fare, paid for the Even More Space, and I was unable to enter my AAdvantage FF#, I was trying to do so to be able to use my AA Plat Pro status to not have to pay for bags, it would not accept my FF#, said it was not valid. This is very frustrating to say the least. Now on Jet Blue's online chat to resolve this, it's saying over a 2 hour wait to chat with a CSR. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MaineMangoMan View Post
Just booked a Blue Extra fare, paid for the Even More Space, and I was unable to enter my AAdvantage FF#, I was trying to do so to be able to use my AA Plat Pro status to not have to pay for bags, it would not accept my FF#, said it was not valid. This is very frustrating to say the least. Now on Jet Blue's online chat to resolve this, it's saying over a 2 hour wait to chat with a CSR. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Why would you book a Blue Extra fare over regular Blue if you are paying for EMS?
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hertz 5-Star, Wyndham Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Why would you book a Blue Extra fare over regular Blue if you are paying for EMS?
My first time ever booking a flight on Jet Blue. I am not used to having to do things like choose all these extra options if I want to be able to carry on a bag that will go in the overhead. I am certainly not used to paying to check bags. I have made attempts to get my AA FF# on the itinerary, but have struck out using online chat. They told me I will be able to check my bags free of charge, I am not optimistic. If it doesn't go my way at checkin, this will be my last time flying Jet Blue.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:40 pm

My first time ever booking a flight on Jet Blue. I am not used to having to do things like choose all these extra options if I want to be able to carry on a bag that will go in the overhead. I am certainly not used to paying to check bags. I have made attempts to get my AA FF# on the itinerary, but have struck out using online chat. They told me I will be able to check my bags free of charge, I am not optimistic. If it doesn't go my way at checkin, this will be my last time flying Jet Blue.
Blue Extra gets you nothing that you would not already get with Even More Space. It is literally throwing money away if you are paying for EMS anyway.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:47 pm

You might consider canceling and re-booking in Blue. You might be stuck with a credit for the difference between Blue and Blue Extra, but it's better than throwing it away completely. You also will be able to enter your AA # when you are booking anew. When you are entering your "traveler details", make sure you pick "American Airlines - Aadvantage" in the field that says "Select Program", and then enter your AA# under "Member Number". I've done this many times.
Old Jun 20, 22, 7:03 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Blue Extra gets you nothing that you would not already get with Even More Space. It is literally throwing money away if you are paying for EMS anyway.
That's mostly true, but Blue Extra gives you free same-day changes, not only at the airport your're currently booked at, but at nearby co-located/sister airports as well (list below), whereas Blue does not.

Boston: BOS, PVD, ORH
Buffalo: BUF, ROC
Chicago: ORD, MKE
Dominican Republic: POP, STI
Los Angeles: BUR, LAX, ONT
New York: JFK, LGA, EWR, HPN, SWF
Philadelphia: BWI, EWR, PHL
San Francisco: SFO, SJC
South Florida: PBI, FLL, MIA
Tampa Bay: SRQ, TPA
Washington D.C.: DCA, BWI

It can be pretty helpful because it means that you could potentially book a cheaper fare out of say JFK and then same-day change to something like HPN/SWF if space is available. It can make paying more for Blue Extra worthwhile in some cases to have the flexibility.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by johnstafford View Post
The full-size carryon issue is correct as guv1976 states having grappled with the issue last week. I (AA Plat) am unable to access EMS seats (even within 24 hours) but got complimentary upgrade at airport check-in (for checked luggage). This is true even with my AA number associated (two hour wait for web help....). Their IT is very sketchy on AA elites.
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I expect that you all got the ability to bring aboard a full-size carry-on (as opposed to an under-seat "personal item") only because you all got EMS seats. Unless there has been a very recent change, bringing aboard a carry-on on Blue Basic fares is not a benefit of AAdvantage elite status; but it is a benefit of sitting in an EMS seat.
Do they state anywhere on the website that a carry-on is not allowed for an AA elite traveling in Blue Basic? I only infer it by omission from the reciprocal benefits page.

Also why are you distinguishing between "full-size carry-on" and "under-seat personal item?" Are you saying that a non-elite buying Blue Basic can put a backpack under their seat, but just can't use the overhead?
Old Aug 4, 22, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Do they state anywhere on the website that a carry-on is not allowed for an AA elite traveling in Blue Basic? I only infer it by omission from the reciprocal benefits page.

Also why are you distinguishing between "full-size carry-on" and "under-seat personal item?" Are you saying that a non-elite buying Blue Basic can put a backpack under their seat, but just can't use the overhead?
All Blue Basic passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat.

AA elites are not among the groups that are specifically exempt from the no-full-size-carry-on policy on Blue Basic fares.

This JetBlue page discusses the carry-on bag policy:

https://www.jetblue.com/help/carry-on-bags
Old Aug 4, 22, 11:28 am

Just wanted to share my experience. I am an AA Platinum Select card holder with Elite Gold status. Booked my Blue Basic fare for my wife & I a couple of months ago, LAX-EWR on JetBlue red-eye flight. When I made my reservation, after entering my AA FF number, I looked to reserve seats but was only given a $$ upgrade option. This past weekend, I called in to JetBlue and was told that AA Platinum Elite status had no benefits for seating or baggage for Blue Basic (ie. Extra charges for checked or overhead baggage, no seats until 24 hours before flight.)

Last night, I checked in exactly 24 hours ahead. The reservation still said no bags, but when I added one for each of us and proceeded to the next page, there was no charge for the bags. Continuing on, I went to reserve seats and was offered up EMS seats. Took those seats and completed the check in. Also my reservation had previously been tagged for the last boarding group but after my check in, it said that I was boarding with the AAElite group.

So it appears that AA Elite benefits are not able to be applied until check in but until then, there is no way to get free bags or seats. I am pretty sure that I got the baggage option first so that probably did not rely on the EMS option, making the only issue being you cannot claim benefits until the 24 hour check-in period. Of course, that might mean that if there is a full flight of JetBlue Mosaic passengers, it might be difficult to get the EMS upgrade, but you should be able to at least be able to check luggage free of charge. I am also expecting that since I was able to get an EMS upgrade, I could also use the carry-on overhead option but with a non-stop, we are fine with checking our bags.

Hopefully my experience is mirrored by other AA Elites. It still seems like reciprocity is not very well documented but at least it does appear as though there is some benefit for AA Elites.

Last edited by benaccetto; Aug 4, 22 at 4:23 pm Reason: Adding in overhead baggage, pre boarding

Search this Thread