Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

I know its been discussed, but what in the heck happened to Jetblue

I know its been discussed, but what in the heck happened to Jetblue

Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by tphuang
Yes, the other universally hated operator at top at JetBlue. I am really glad the pilots did this because JetBlue has not let this guy go for some reason. And tomorrow is earnings call and they will have to finally answer questions on why this guy still has a job.
I actually have a gap in my schedule tomorrow morning, so I'm looking forward (is that the right phrase?) to hearing what they have to say. They have quite a bit of explaining to do.

-J.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Another main issue JetBlue has is that their major hubs (Boston and JFK) are very weather prone. So any snow or other weather condition will have rolling impact. This is why I never expect jetblue to be on time no matter what.
Other people have mentioned that other airlines manage to operate flights in both those places, but furthermore...

1) The last couple of years have actually been relatively mild for weather in the Northeast. That isn't to say that there haven't been days affected by storms, but BOS was hit much harder by snow in 2015 than they have been in recent years.
2) B6 chose those airports! It's not as if they were assigned two random hubs in a lottery.
mikejeep likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by steveholt
2) B6 chose those airports! It's not as if they were assigned two random hubs in a lottery.
I've been saying this for years... you can't keep blaming the weather year after year and not try to change something. They could stack departures in the mornings before the weather gets bad, use different routings, maybe even find a JTV partner to develop some evil weather control device thing... but doing the same thing year after year is simply unfair to customers and crewmembers. The premise of the strategy itself is flawed.

-J.
ysolde and michael1023 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I've been saying this for years... you can't keep blaming the weather year after year and not try to change something. They could stack departures in the mornings before the weather gets bad, use different routings, maybe even find a JTV partner to develop some evil weather control device thing... but doing the same thing year after year is simply unfair to customers and crewmembers. The premise of the strategy itself is flawed.

-J.
maybe its just me, but i don't remember years ago when there is bad weather, that on the nightly news they talked abut days and days of flight chaos and cancellations, the weather happened and we kept it moving
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
for the year before COVID, their OTP number out of JFK and BOS were average. There is no reason they can't operate at that level. They are never going to be stellar due to the geographical locations, but with more operation conscious effort and being able to put customers on AA flights on IROPS, they will be fine.

And for others on this thread, taking them out of northeast is a terrible idea. You either need fortress hubs that can generate huge profits or you need really low costs. JetBlue has neither, so it has to concentrate on the few airports where it has large presence and build them up.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Interesting development...

FAA, airlines to meet on Florida flight disruptions as travel booms (cnbc.com)
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang
And for others on this thread, taking them out of northeast is a terrible idea. You either need fortress hubs that can generate huge profits or you need really low costs. JetBlue has neither, so it has to concentrate on the few airports where it has large presence and build them up.
They had a good west coast presence at secondary airports (e.g. OAK, LGB) but seem to have abandoned that strategy. Pity, as the secondary airports are preferable for many of us. I wonder if it was not profitable or instead they needed the airplanes for other routes. But flights from LAX and SFO are a dime a dozen and not easy to distiguish yourself from the pack.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
flights from LAX and SFO are a dime a dozen and not easy to distiguish yourself from the pack.
ha

LAX-SFO fares are consistently lower than OAK-LAX because of greater competition. In the old days, Southwest held OAK-LAX fares down to discourage new entrants. No more.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:10 am

anyone that followed the earnings call on Tuesday would see quite an embarrassing sight of the people in charge that know they cannot handle the problems facing JetBlue. Stock price is down like 30% since start of the year. JPMorgan did double downgrade on their stock. I'm hoping this is finally time for the board to find new leadership. I don't know what else could possibly get them to do something. The recent operational issues, lack of confidence amongst Crewmembers and the large number of senior departures are all signs of a terribly run company.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:36 am

JetBlue Knocks Delta & Southwest From Top Spot On American Customer Satisfaction Index

Guess there are competing thoughts on this subject...
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Yesterday $JBLU hit a new 52-week low, their first time going under $11 a share since fall of 2020.

This article came out a couple of days ago: JetBlue president: ‘We let our crew members and our customers down in April’. I have to disagree with the title, especially given a recent poll...JetBlue (the collective "we") did not let crewmembers and customers down -- Geraghty did. Responsibility starts at the top, and it's not fair to drag everyone else down too IMHO.

-J.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:10 am

I think at this point, they need a reset like with DN and Valentine's day incident or UA had with Dao incident. They need to probably bring in new leadership that makes real changes up top and apologize to customers in order to gain confidence back. JetBlue is a great experience when things are running well, but they got too many fed up with them. Employee turnovers are high, but they can do things to encourage lower turnovers rather than just throw their hands up. If you have the right work culture and incentives, employees are not going to the competitors as soon as a better offer comes along.

Anyways, I think I've beat a down horse enough times. Let's see what happens.
Boraxo and RWPrincess like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by xooz
Apparently pax don't care if an airline has regular mass-cancellations and disruptions, and can't get you to your destination until days later...
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by rylan
Apparently pax don't care if an airline has regular mass-cancellations and disruptions, and can't get you to your destination until days later...
On that index, the differences among airlines are like two points. Hardly significant. So, that index is essentially saying that all major airlines are mediocre.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
On that index, the differences among airlines are like two points. Hardly significant. So, that index is essentially saying that all major airlines are mediocre.
The Rankings
JetBlue 79%
American 77%
Delta 77%
Southwest 77%
United 77%

JetBlue with a 2% lead, plus or minus 3%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.