Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

I know its been discussed, but what in the heck happened to Jetblue

I know its been discussed, but what in the heck happened to Jetblue

Old Apr 11, 22, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by regiobaden View Post
Southwest likes to say "if we treat our Employees right, they will treat our Customers right, and in turn that results in increased business and profits that make everyone happy."
1) Southwest stole that slogan from Marriott. 2) You honestly think Southwest is doing better than JetBlue right now?
Old Apr 11, 22, 8:18 pm

It's getting pretty obvious what the issue is. The issue rests with Joanna since she is supposedly in charge of operations but is busy blaming the now departed Scott Laurence for all the operation problems even though that was not his job. JetBlue has been having problems ever since the board decided to groom her as the successor to Robin. The fact that she has stuck around this long is an indictment on the board. Just awful management.
Old Apr 12, 22, 4:25 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by soy View Post
If reports are correct, B6 have hit a new low. Flying with no working lav's. More here https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1471917

Even if turns out there are mitigating circumstances, the problem is peoples perceptions of B6 are starting to change so that stuff like this is believable.
Perception really does matter, and the days where residual goodwill towards B6 were enough to tide them over are fast disappearing. Without change at leadership, I fear things will keep getting worse.
I'd like confirmation that this happened. I doubt a crew would do this, and my limited understanding of the rules suggests this would be a huge problem for B6 if true.
Old Apr 12, 22, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
The hits keep on coming... https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...in/9503296002/

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
1) Southwest stole that slogan from Marriott. 2) You honestly think Southwest is doing better than JetBlue right now?
It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of JetBlue... but I'll generally fly them over Southwest

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
It's getting pretty obvious what the issue is. The issue rests with Joanna since she is supposedly in charge of operations but is busy blaming the now departed Scott Laurence for all the operation problems even though that was not his job. JetBlue has been having problems ever since the board decided to groom her as the successor to Robin. The fact that she has stuck around this long is an indictment on the board. Just awful management.
I agree 100%, but to that end she has allowed those below her to get away with their nonsense for so long, and that's where the issue really lies (*glares at Alex Battaglia*). Unfortunately it would be a terrible look if she left, so she's stuck in this for the long run. Somehow, I don't think she minds.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Apr 12, 22 at 5:18 am
Old Apr 13, 22, 3:04 am

Since Barger left, JetBlue lost its way. It's not just travelers saying that.

I have some good friends who are long-term JetBlue employees and I've gotten to witness the decline with them. I remember when they were upbeat about the company and their after-work banter about work were about PITA customers, miracle flights, and other things which came up. In recent years it's been absolute frustration with their company, especially in 2022. The cuts and poor management decisions were happening well before COVID started. Some of the decisions from above are truly maddening; worse they ultimately cost the company more. It's clear to me that management has NO clue as to what is happening on the ground. Given that, I don't see JetBlue getting their act together anytime soon. Quite sad. I used to enjoy the unique experience they provided.
KeithRedford likes this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat / LTG, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Not disagreeing with you in the least — but on top of that, does Robin actually do anything? Even when there are meltdowns, you barely see his name mentioned.

Even if Joanna were one of the best execs in the world, asking her to be in charge of operations, president, and de facto CEO seems like a lot.

Sadly I think the NK bid makes the chance of anyone being run out of town for the recent delays even lower -- they have to save face.
Old Apr 13, 22, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat / LTG, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I agree 100%, but to that end she has allowed those below her to get away with their nonsense for so long, and that's where the issue really lies (*glares at Alex Battaglia*). Unfortunately it would be a terrible look if she left, so she's stuck in this for the long run. Somehow, I don't think she minds.
Shockingly, Alex Battaglia is one of the few execs at JetBlue with *any* experience at US network carriers — I imagine that may be part of why he evades scrutiny — no one else knows how things *should* work.

Geraghty has been around since 2005, and would have been too junior then to have had any significant experience.
Hayes came from BA, which is a *very* different organization operationally and culturally.

Their CTO was at WN — during the nightmare that was the FL integration.
Their head of Revenue and Planning has been at JetBlue since 2009 and came from a consulting background.

If the board were smart, they'd find some grizzled Northwest or Continental execs to drag out of retirement to overhaul ops and IT. Use the Spirit merger as an excuse for the change.
Old Apr 13, 22, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Its pure operational incompetence at this point. Recovery from disruptions has gotten worse and worse and now its been almost two weeks since the first batch of delay and cancellation meltdown with no rational. The mere fact that they're having to cut the summer schedule significantly lands on the failure of management at the highest level.
Old Apr 14, 22, 2:22 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Shockingly, Alex Battaglia is one of the few execs at JetBlue with *any* experience at US network carriers — I imagine that may be part of why he evades scrutiny — no one else knows how things *should* work.

Geraghty has been around since 2005, and would have been too junior then to have had any significant experience.
Hayes came from BA, which is a *very* different organization operationally and culturally.

Their CTO was at WN — during the nightmare that was the FL integration.
Their head of Revenue and Planning has been at JetBlue since 2009 and came from a consulting background.

If the board were smart, they'd find some grizzled Northwest or Continental execs to drag out of retirement to overhaul ops and IT. Use the Spirit merger as an excuse for the change.

Sounds like they have been in position more than long enough to get experience, or else to be able to tell where they need to bring in experience.
The board are asleep otherwise we'd have seen change by now. That said I'd be more inclined to raid from DL, they are clearly the best performing US airline.
bgasser likes this.
Old Apr 14, 22, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Not disagreeing with you in the least — but on top of that, does Robin actually do anything? Even when there are meltdowns, you barely see his name mentioned.

Even if Joanna were one of the best execs in the world, asking her to be in charge of operations, president, and de facto CEO seems like a lot.

Sadly I think the NK bid makes the chance of anyone being run out of town for the recent delays even lower -- they have to save face.
If you listen to her on these earning calls, I really don't quite understand what she does on a day to day basis. She doesn't seem to handle the costs or the revenue or route planning side of things. I think Robin is still more in strategic vision side of things, whatever that means.

Everything under her control is a disaster. Overall, this ultimately falls on the board. They made a decision to elevate her and it's a terrible decision. I think things would be a lot better if they bring someone in from the outside to replace Robin and let that person figure out who to keep around.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 22, 4:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AS MVP Gold, BA Gold
I agree with the posts saying the problem starts at that top - specifically with the CEO and COO, and the board as well for not making changes. The attrition of experienced and well respected leaders from the company since Joanna took over has been staggering. To my knowledge she has no operational experience so the decision to make her COO was puzzling. She is clearly next in line for CEO - and B6 seem to pride themselves on having women in leadership positions (which I think is great btw until it starts impacting the company’s performance the person is not right for the job) so I have my doubts that the board boot her.

Robin also has to have some accountability here - although it seems like his role is very high level strategy/visionary. The argument can be made that the decision to go transatlantic was something they should have held off on until until they got their ducks in a row with the domestic operation

Last edited by SkiBikeRun; Apr 16, 22 at 7:18 am
Old Apr 22, 22, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA Gold
Its obvious that those running the company are super detached and have lost their way, if they ever knew their way. Neeleman, whatever ones opinion is of him, had a firm view of what a new carrier could do and how it should treat passengers and employees, and he was right.

The most recent shenanigans, where they put out a competing offer for Spirit, is a classic diversionary tactic. "Uh oh, things are going terribly, lets do some M&A and divert attention from our incompetence". This is legend, and many friends who are investment bankers have helped hapless execs run this play many times when they are completely lost. Everyone from IBM to Dow Chemical to countless others have done the same thing, which postponed the inevitable event where their idiot execs get terminated eventually. They were of course replaced, but not after they damaged their companies... in the case of IBM as an example, irreversibly. Depending on ones perspective, one could argue that America West/American was of this ilk, but the combined company wasn't destroyed at least, maybe a bit ossified, but not completely ruined.

All in all, I don't think Jetblue ever recovers, unless as many other have pointed out, an actual airline exec takes over operationally, stops worrying about hairstyles, and start worrying about network reliability, equipment condition, retaining and delighting customers, getting their employees back in the game, and actual product differentiation as opposed to what they are doing now, which is basically nothing... mailing it in.

Bummer
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 24, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
I recall sitting on a (ski) chairlift at Steamboat when JetBlue was just getting started. As often occurs, strangers on a 3 or 4 person chairlift start chatting, first questions usually “where are you from” and “what do you do”?

One skier said he was a JetBlue pilot, being unheard of that stimulated much conversation. He said (basically) that JetBlue had a real advantage due to much lower costs: no unions, no retiree benefits and health care costs. I remember thinking that didn’t speak well for ANY long existing US company.

Maybe age and loss of those newborn advantages has contributed to JetBlue’s decline?
Old Apr 25, 22, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Just in: JetBlue Pilots Voice “No Confidence” in Head of Airports and System Operations

Battaglia was moved to his current position of head of Airports and System Operations in August 2021. At that time, management asserted that Battaglia’s move would “benefit our crewmembers and customers.” However, since then, JetBlue’s reputation among its customers has plummeted and the airline was recently named “the worst airline” by the Wall Street Journal’s annual ranking.
-J.
Old Apr 25, 22, 7:02 pm

Yes, the other universally hated operator at top at JetBlue. I am really glad the pilots did this because JetBlue has not let this guy go for some reason. And tomorrow is earnings call and they will have to finally answer questions on why this guy still has a job.
GW McLintock likes this.

Search this Thread