Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Parents removed out of exit row seating for an accent

Parents removed out of exit row seating for an accent

Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Yes, itís possible. How likely is that though?

Just based on how things went down and the tone of the conversation itís more likely to me the FA was essentially on a little power trip and did it to ďpunish themĒ (for lack of a better phrase). The FA did not check a device or seat map prior to moving them.
If the F/A did not consult a manifest before deciding which passengers to put in the exit row, then I agree that it's unlikely that those passengers were elites. More likely that they were non-revs, especially since they were seated in the last row -- which is frequently where standby passengers end up on a full flight.

There is nothing wrong with putting non-revs in exit rows ahead of non-status passengers. Airlines regularly seat their non-revs in premium cabins ahead of passengers who are not entitled to free upgrades.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Yes, it’s possible. How likely is that though?

Just based on how things went down and the tone of the conversation it’s more likely to me the FA was essentially on a little power trip and did it to “punish them” (for lack of a better phrase). The FA did not check a device or seat map prior to moving them.
"Punish them" for what? You think an FA went looking for minorities to hassle, with a plane full of witnesses?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by js1993
"Punish them" for what? You think an FA went looking for minorities to hassle, with a plane full of witnesses?
I read the OP as suggesting that the "punishment" involved was moving his parents to the last row of the plane, not as removing them from the exit-row seats. As I speculated in my previous post, I suspect that non-revs -- who are likely to have been seated in the last row -- were the ones moved to the exit row, thus requiring that the parents be relocated to the last row, if the plane was full.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by js1993
Went looking? No. Took the opportunity to do so when it presented itself? Perhaps.

Even if it was not racism the rude treatment they received should not be acceptable. Iím glad another FA recognized it enough to apologize which showed there are people decent enough to recognize what happened was wrong at least on a service level.

At the end of the day I donít expect much to happen from this one complaint. Maybe the employee was having a bad day and her extreme rudeness was just interpreted as racism to some.

However maybe there are others that been on the end of this FAís curt service that are complaining and if JetBlue needs a reason to remove this employee at some point in the future this adds to the file.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
I read the OP as suggesting that the "punishment" involved was moving his parents to the last row of the plane, not as removing them from the exit-row seats. As I speculated in my previous post, I suspect that non-revs -- who are likely to have been seated in the last row -- were the ones moved to the exit row, thus requiring that the parents be relocated to the last row, if the plane was full.
Wouldn't it have been simpler and easier to just move my brother and his wife to the exit row seats when they were seated nearby and asked to do so?

I really wish my brother recorded the conversation or at least the part when the FA denied the swap as I know itís only one side of the story being told here.

But since he didnít the best case scenario here is that the FA was just rude but followed protocol.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Wouldn't it have been simpler and easier to just move my brother and his wife to the exit row seats when they were seated nearby and asked to do so?

I really wish my brother recorded the conversation or at least the part when the FA denied the swap as I know itís only one side of the story being told here.

But since he didnít the best case scenario here is that the FA was just rude but followed protocol.
Did your brother and wife pay for EMS seats? If not, by policy they cannot be moved there. Not to say that is the most rational option, but them are the rules.

Was the flight full, where your parents cannot be relocated to another EMS seats? It would make sense they would move non-rev into the exit rows, but only if the flight was full.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
If another FA apologized, that tells me that the crew recognized that the first FA was wrong. If it were a true safety concern, there wouldn't have been a need for an apology. If your brother was seated right behind your parents, wasn't he also in an EMS seat?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
If another FA apologized, that tells me that the crew recognized that the first FA was wrong. ...
People in customer service jobs apologize all the time in situations where there was no fault. It's possible the apology wasn't because the first FA was wrong, but because she handled it more brusquely than she should have.
nancypants, Jimval26 and mikejeep like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
If another FA apologized, that tells me that the crew recognized that the first FA was wrong. If it were a true safety concern, there wouldn't have been a need for an apology. If your brother was seated right behind your parents, wasn't he also in an EMS seat?
So, an update on the situation. We informed JetBlue about what happened with details about our side of the story including parts of the conversation on the plane why we felt it was not only wrongly handled but possibility racist to an extent. I don't know if they really investigated or they're just employing good customer service. What I can say is JetBlue is resolving the situation to our satisfaction.

I don't wish to comment anymore on the matter.

The main reason is I feel that some on here have tried to minimize the incident and racism that minorities (in particular Asians) face because it's unrelatable to them that these things to happen time to time. They're looking to explain away what happened with any possible scenario (even if not likely) that what happened was the correct course of action. My life experiences have shown me that these things will happen and whether out of ignorance or hatred it's just something you just put up with living in the US. It doesn't feel good to tell others privately or on a public forum about these things and have repeated excuses/explanations about why you're mistaken to feel wronged. I don't believe what happened is reflective of corporate culture at JetBlue but the result of an individual's bad actions.

Last edited by BudgetJetsetter; Mar 3, 2022 at 12:02 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.