SXM Flight Cancelation

Old Jan 16, 22, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SXM Flight Cancelation

Yesterday, due to an airport strike, Jet blue canceled my flight 788 to JFK. I was offered a flight to EWR which I took. I had to rent a car to get home, am I entitled to any compensation ?
Old Jan 16, 22, 6:02 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Unfortunately, no.
Old Jan 16, 22, 9:18 pm

I would send in a polite and concise complaint with the receipt for your car rental and see what they offer.
Old Jan 17, 22, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by jjbiv View Post
I would send in a polite and concise complaint with the receipt for your car rental and see what they offer.
This, but go in with low expectations. Since JFK and EWR are co-terminals they may decline.

-J.
Old Jan 17, 22, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjbiv View Post
should I do by chat or is there an email.

they would have spent more to feed me and put me up if I waited for a new flight to JFK
Old Jan 17, 22, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rstidolph View Post
should I do by chat or is there an email.

they would have spent more to feed me and put me up if I waited for a new flight to JFK
Did you ask at SXM whether JetBlue would pick up the cost of a car rental -- or at least some form of ground transportation from EWR to JFK?
Old Jan 17, 22, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Did you ask at SXM whether JetBlue would pick up the cost of a car rental -- or at least some form of ground transportation from EWR to JFK?
I did not. I was concerned that I was not going to a flight for several days. Had no where to stay and had already turned in my Sxm rental.

I was also concerned that I would have to spend more money for a new Covid test

when told I could be put on the Newark flight I said yes
Old Jan 17, 22, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Sounds like you agreed to the new flight without any reparations. At this point they are not obligated to do anything for you as the change was voluntary.

Next time, get it in writing before you agree to anything. This goes for many things in life. I would not have boarded a plane without a paid-for car service arranged to pick you up on arrival, on JetBlue's dime of course. I strongly doubt they will pay for your rental car; if you are lucky, they may give you a $25-50 voucher which is what public transportation would have cost.

Hindsight is 20/20.

-J.
Old Jan 18, 22, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
Sounds like you agreed to the new flight without any reparations. At this point they are not obligated to do anything for you as the change was voluntary.

Next time, get it in writing before you agree to anything. This goes for many things in life. I would not have boarded a plane without a paid-for car service arranged to pick you up on arrival, on JetBlue's dime of course. I strongly doubt they will pay for your rental car; if you are lucky, they may give you a $25-50 voucher which is what public transportation would have cost.

Hindsight is 20/20.

-J.
if I had not agreed to the Newark flight, would they have been obligated to pay for a nights lodging in SXM. Would my Covid test results have expired?
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They would not be obliged to put you up for a night in SXM.
Brighton Line likes this.
Old Jan 18, 22, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rstidolph View Post
if I had not agreed to the Newark flight, would they have been obligated to pay for a nights lodging in SXM. Would my Covid test results have expired?
This would have been a great question to ask the JB agent in SXM.

I wonder what happened to other people on your JFK flight. They couldn't have all taken the EWR flight.

-J.
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
This would have been a great question to ask the JB agent in SXM.

I wonder what happened to other people on your JFK flight. They couldn't have all taken the EWR flight.

-J.
I did try to see if anyone posted on another travel board about their situation. At the end of day, I was just glad to be home.

thanks everyone for your advice.
GW McLintock likes this.

Search this Thread