Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

...aaaaaand they're gone! 27 routes cut

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblu...ic-route-cuts/

Over the weekend, the New York-based carrier filed a slew of cuts beginning this fall, per Cirium schedules. The majority of the cuts are on routes that were added during the pandemic, a development that comes JetBlue begins seeing “more expected booking patterns.”
Most of the cuts are in Florida, especially to PHL. RDU is also losing eight new routes. Austin loses three routes, and although AA just increased service there, they cannot cooperate in AUS with their agreement.

Here is the full list:
  • AUS-MCO/RDU/SFO
  • BOS-BUR
  • BOS-SJC 10/21-4/22
  • RSW-CLE
  • LAX-SEA 10/21-4/22
  • MCO-ATL/PHL/RDU/SFO
  • MCO-BOG outside of peak season Dec/Jan
  • PHL-RSW/TPA/PBI
  • PIT-FLL
  • RDU-RSW/JAX/LAS/MBJ/SFO/TPA
  • RIC-LAS
  • RIC-LAX 10/21-4/22
  • TPA-DCA
  • PBI-ORD/PHL

Many of us saw this coming... lol

-J.
Truckinurload likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jun 15, 2021 at 6:32 am
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:10 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
With BOS being discontinued from BUR, that leaves only the two daily flights to JFK (with the second scheduled to start in the fall). Really hope B6 doesn’t end up closing the station.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dw
With BOS being discontinued from BUR, that leaves only the two daily flights to JFK (with the second scheduled to start in the fall). Really hope B6 doesn’t end up closing the station.
They actually can't close bur. It's stipulated such in the nea. Same with sjc. Bos bur was always a port performer. Jfk bur always did pretty well.
dw likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by tphuang
They actually can't close bur. It's stipulated such in the nea. Same with sjc. Bos bur was always a port performer. Jfk bur always did pretty well.
JFK-BUR did so well they added a second flight. BOS-BUR was such a lame duck that they didn't even cater fresh food for the eastbound.

I didn't realize SJC was part of the NEA. I'm glad to see them back in SJC. One of the PP lounges there is supposed to reopen soon.

-J.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:47 pm

JFK-BUR was upgraded to a 321 in 2019 for both flights. It's coming back as a 321 too.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:20 am

Most of these routes were cut from July to Oct. Aside from the seasonal cuts of BOS-SJC/LAX-RIC, the biggest surprise for me is MCO-SFO since it is running at 3x weekly this summer.

I think both BOS-SJC/LAX-RIC will operate next summer. These are the type of routes that do tend to do better in summer time. LAX-SEA might be a 2023 thing.

fyi, they are not cutting FLL-PHL. They are cutting FLL-PIT. Another interesting decision to me.

Overall, they are shifting their resources to JFK/LGA over the next year as part of the NEA. AA operates more TATL stuff over the coming months from JFK vs PHL. They will need all the B6 feed they can get.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
AUS-MCO surprises me a bit. JetBlue has flown that for years, surprising they can't make it work. Perhaps with the addition of AA they figure that's good enough.

Never understood the MCO-ATL flight. Only a single flight each day was never going to cut it on that route.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:28 am

MCO-BOG is a bit surprising but perhaps they saw the low cost competition increasing with Viva Air adding service to MDE. Spirit got into the game with multiple direct flights to Colombia pretty recently as well.

For a while the only competition JetBlue had serving Colombia was Avianca.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:13 am

If there's anything to take away from this, it's that MCO will stay pretty small for the foreseeable future and has even less priority than LAX for JetBlue. The bad LAX routes (LAX-SEA/RIC) are cut until April 2022, while the bad MCO stuff got cut altogether. It almost feels as if MCO is the new LGB.

Backing off from RDU and AUS seems like the right thing to do while AA/WN duke it out at AUS and AA/DL duke it out at RDU. Keep the CUN/SJU routes that seem to do well and come back when things settle down between AA and DL. Still RDU-TPA/MCO getting cut were quite surprising and SFO-MCO was another route that I thought was also doing well enough to do OK. I do think we'll see SFO-AUS/RDU/MCO come back when JetBlue want to start building a West Coast network.

PHL also got cut down a lot, only SJU survives of the new routes, which probably makes AA happy. I do think JetBlue should add PHL-LAX on Mint when business travel recovers in a few years, maybe that will make them not so happy. I'm sure there's enough people from Philly/Southeast PA who don't like having to choose between AA and NK to fly to LA.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by phllax
JFK-BUR was upgraded to a 321 in 2019 for both flights. It's coming back as a 321 too.
It's quite popular with bi-coastals in the film & TV industry.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:13 pm
Suspended

MCO-BOG is kind of surprising, the rest either are no surprise or even expected.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:41 pm

I had a flight B6 2576 fll - phl dep @9am and arr @ 11:44am Nov 30th,get rescheduled for me, now I go from fll to bos to phl. Booked r/t from phl to fll and back and they rescheduled the return portion. Booked through Expedia. Can I rebook through Expedia at no fee an aa flight, and maybe get my flights changed from SYR - fll r/t instead and not have to pay any difference since it was a reschedule?
And along with that question, do you think those flights will come back.. They have a late light 9om non stop flight but the am flight got deleted... Sorry, been waiting for this thread for a while! Lol
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.