Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Blue + EMS w/points vs. Basic + same-day EMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Apologies if there is already a dedicated thread regarding this question (I didn't see one), but I'm curious how folks approach getting an EMS seat nowadays given the same-day EMS policy and dynamic nature of flying during the pandemic. I'm planning a SEA-JFK-PDX trip for mid-June and loads look very light, especially in EMS. So it seems very likely I'll be able to same-day upgrade for both flights on a Basic fare, which would obviously be the cheapest option. But of course, having a guaranteed EMS seat is also worth something.

Just curious how others have weighed the pros/cons and also what they'd do in my situation. Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It has always been a gamble.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I wouldn't put too much stock in what loads look like almost two months out. In the current environment, people are booking flights much closer to the last minute than they have in the past. And almost no business travelers (who I think are more likely to book EMS) would have booked by now for June.

I would look at what the loads in EMS look like for the same days *this* week, on the flight you're considering. Be sure to look ~12 hours before departure, as well.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I'm not a business traveler and I love my EMS seats. I agree with the other poster that these things are a gamble. If you know that your EMS seat is an absolute must have/priority, pay for it now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.