Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Drops Change Fees Permanently; No New Perks for Mosaic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Well this is disappointing. JetBlue is introducing some changes:

- All change fees are permanently ended.
- All fares “Blue” and above now come with overhead bin space guaranteed. If you have to check your carry-on, you get a $25 credit.
- Blue Basic fares no longer come with a carry-on.
- Blue Basic fares can be changed or refunded for a flat fee.

So far it’s dropping on news sites and the blogs before a press release has been put out about it.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblu...inners-losers/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ts/6759125002/

Unfortunately, it looks like they’re not doing anything for their Mosaic members, nor do they intend to:

Dave Clark, vice president of sales and revenue management, reasons that “the new Mosaic benefits announced late last year have several new benefits. The free extra-legroom Even More Space at the gate is the marquee benefit that replaces flexibility.” - TPG
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:39 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Helpful chart on the (not so helpful) changes:

Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Wow, this is a huge announcement! It is absolutely INSANE that they're allowing Mosaic to become worthless, though. They're basically daring their most valuable customers to find another airline. The best & easiest thing they could've offered Mosaics would've been free EMS seats (at booking) for Mosaic member and one companion.

Also, in reading the graphic above, it seems to me that they'll be tagging all bags taken on-board. It also implies they will ONLY allow 1 bag per person to be placed in the overhead bin. Right...?

Last edited by moulder3; Feb 16, 2021 at 3:47 pm
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is more than a little weird that people care so much about what the other person does or does not get. It does not affect value.

No US carrier charges change fees any longe That happened last summer for the rest.

Charging change fees is a competetive disadvantage for B6 and large businesses which are the backbone of commercial air travel simply directed their massive spend to carriers with no change fees.

You can jump ship to AA, UA, DL or AS and find that the grass isn't greener.
bgasser, Cat88L3 and m907 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I want to clarify this point because it comes up a lot:

Originally Posted by Often1
It is more than a little weird that people care so much about what the other person does or does not get. It does not affect value.
It's not that I care about what someone else does or does not get; I couldn't care less if everyone on my flight gets various benefits. The reason I come here to discuss this is to not complain about others, but to think about the incentive structure. It's not about what others get; it's about what I can get and what I have to do to get it.

Previously, there was a large incentive to qualify for Mosaic status, as it got you waived change fees, something rare in the industry. Now, I can get that without any elite status, on JetBlue as well as on other airlines.

This makes me wonder if it's worth it to do any extra effort to qualify for Mosaic status? It also makes me wonder what the future of Mosaic status is if JetBlue does not seem to desire to want to incentivize their flyers to become Mosaic.

Furthermore, I learned something from this thread already that does change my calculus: the only way to get access to free "same day switch" waivers is to be JetBlue Mosaic! It looks like this policy also matches United and American's policy, so I can't just gain this benefit by flying with another carrier, either. Most of my savings as a Mosaic with change fee waivers came from same day changes anyway, so that is a big tip to the "I will still re-qualify" column.
TastyPlaneEats and _fx like this.

Last edited by RememberTheConcord; Feb 16, 2021 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Almost an exact copy of UA.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: Free agent
Excited to see the basic fares get restricted. Not surprised to see Mosaic hanging in the wind, at least for now. The benefits are good for a small subset of people on certain routes. They don't need to cater to VIP customers and thus they don't bother to.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

An email just went out to Mosaic members:

Hi, XXXXXX.

As always, your loyalty means the world to us.

How we travel continues to evolve, and we're evolving what's included in our fares so travelers can choose what's most valuable to them and provide peace of mind with flexibility and a better boarding experience.

More travel flexibility.
Of course, you have enjoyed the freedom of changing or cancelling your plans with most fares as part of your Mosaic perks, but we want to let you know about some changes you'll be seeing in the coming weeks that add to your flexibility:
  • We'll continue to waive change and cancel fees for all travelers on all fares, including Blue Basic, through 3/31/21.
  • Starting 4/1/21 all travelers, including Mosaics, will be able to change or cancel a Blue Basic fare for a fee (fare difference applies). With our current fare options, the fare is forfeited with any changes and cancellations even for Mosaic members, so the new policy allows you flexibility on these fares.
  • Mosaics will now be permitted to make free same-day switches on all fares (including Blue Basic). Currently, same-day switches are not permitted on Basic fares and the fare is forfeited.
(In addition to offering the most flexibility, our Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint Fares let you rack up TrueBlue points and Mosaic qualifying points faster.)

Getting a handle on carry-ons.
Starting 7/20/21, our new carry-on bag policy will guarantee overhead bin space to those traveling on a Blue, Blue Extra or Mint fare or who book an Even More® Space seat on domestic flights within the U.S.,—or you get a $25 Travel Bank credit1. That's right—no more guessing if there will be room for your bag on board, no matter when you board.
  • While Blue Basic fares booked on or after 2/25/21 for travel 7/20/21 or later will not allow a carry-on bag and only allow a personal item that fits under the seat, rest assured that Mosaic members (and their eligible travel companions) will continue to get a carry-on bag that can be placed in the overhead bin with ALL fares, including Blue Basic.
Of course, as a Mosaic member, you'll still enjoy 2 free checked bags and early boarding, and our new carry-on bag policy will bring more certainty and speed to your travel experience.

Looking ahead, we'll continue to review and refine your Mosaic offerings to best meet your needs.

To learn more, and get answers to frequently asked questions, please visit jetblue.com/fares or call the dedicated Mosaic line.

Again, we appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Here's to blue skies,

Don Uselmann
Vice President, Loyalty
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:24 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1

No US carrier charges change fees any longe That happened last summer for the rest.

Charging change fees is a competetive disadvantage for B6 and large businesses which are the backbone of commercial air travel simply directed their massive spend to carriers with no change fees.

You can jump ship to AA, UA, DL or AS and find that the grass isn't greener.
As you often like to say: all of the above is “irrelevant” as the OPs “sole question” is about elite retention in the face of devalued benefits, and not what other airlines may or may not be doing.

It is certainly true that B6 must eliminate change fees to stay competitive. But that doesn’t address the main questions at hand: how does B6 expect to retain elites with no differentiation? Should they offer elite upgrades to Mint, for instance, as other US airlines offer?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
Previously, there was a large incentive to qualify for Mosaic status, as it got you waived change fees, something rare in the industry. Now, I can get that without any elite status, on JetBlue as well as on other airlines.

This makes me wonder if it's worth it to do any extra effort to qualify for Mosaic status? It also makes me wonder what the future of Mosaic status is if JetBlue does not seem to desire to want to incentivize their flyers to become Mosaic.
Ya, exactly. The first year I qualified for Mosaic, I actually took a whole extra Mint r/t just to make it. I certainly wouldn't bother now.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big move today is JetBlue doing away with the free carry-on bag with their basic economy fare. That's horrible for a lot of people, myself included. It makes JetBlue fares non-competitive to me in most situations.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think AA is now the most customer friendly airline in America. You can buy just about any ticket and not regret it.
aquanine likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:23 pm

No carry on with Jetblue means IMO, the airline is now Spirit-tier.

And thats not an airline Im comfortable flying with. What a shame.
iahphx and m907 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
The big move today is JetBlue doing away with the free carry-on bag with their basic economy fare. That's horrible for a lot of people, myself included. It makes JetBlue fares non-competitive to me in most situations.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think AA is now the most customer friendly airline in America. You can buy just about any ticket and not regret it.
And all they had to do was eliminate most change/cancellation fees (AS still charges $125 for award tix), add same day standby for everyone (like United), and not devalue their award chart (like Delta, United).

I'm pretty frustrated with this change. I fly transcon a decent amount and got the Jetblue card recently in anticipation of future travel. Guess I'll just burn my points and stay with AS/AA.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
I want to clarify this point because it comes up a lot:

It's not that I care about what someone else does or does not get; I couldn't care less if everyone on my flight gets various benefits. The reason I come here to discuss this is to not complain about others, but to think about the incentive structure. It's not about what others get; it's about what I can get and what I have to do to get it.

Furthermore, I learned something from this thread already that does change my calculus: the only way to get access to free "same day switch" waivers is to be JetBlue Mosaic! It looks like this policy also matches United and American's policy, so I can't just gain this benefit by flying with another carrier, either. Most of my savings as a Mosaic with change fee waivers came from same day changes anyway, so that is a big tip to the "I will still re-qualify" column.
This is just high spenders getting butthurt about not feeling special anymore. You should be glad because now you don't have to put in the extra effort to get the benefits.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
No carry on with Jetblue means IMO, the airline is now Spirit-tier.

And thats not an airline Im comfortable flying with. What a shame.
I remember when JetBlue marketed itself as the friendliest, most comfortable airline. Now they charge the highest baggage fee of any domestic airline and don't allow carry-ons. Spirit-tier, indeed.
jamesinclair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.