Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Drops Change Fees Permanently; No New Perks for Mosaic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Drops Change Fees Permanently; No New Perks for Mosaic

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Looks like I look at this very differently than most of you. I never buy a Blue Basic ticket as I want to know where I am sitting when I make the reservation. In addition, I want to know that I can put my carry on over MY SEAT. Never under my seat (I want to stretch out my legs). Not ten rows back. I don't want to get on a plane and find out there is no more overhead space because I like to sit up front. I am thrilled with these changes.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I never bought a Blue basic(economy) ticket myself for the same reasons. I see people upset that they can't bring a carryon. Pretty simple, just buy a regular fare ticket. These basic economy fares wasn't introduced until recently anyway.
​​​​​​
Please let's not jump out the window by comparing Jetblue to Spirit. I know some of the basic economy fans are upset, but let's not be dramatic and hysterical, lol. If you make that comparison, that means you probably haven't flown Spirit. Trust, it's like flying through the gates of Hell. I did this one time in my early twenties as I didn't know any better. You couldn't pay me to fly Spirit again.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Long Distance
Looks like I look at this very differently than most of you. I never buy a Blue Basic ticket as I want to know where I am sitting when I make the reservation. In addition, I want to know that I can put my carry on over MY SEAT. Never under my seat (I want to stretch out my legs). Not ten rows back. I don't want to get on a plane and find out there is no more overhead space because I like to sit up front. I am thrilled with these changes.
I don't see where it says your carryon will be over YOUR seat. Just that it is guaranteed a spot.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: Free agent
Given the propensity of American consumers to endure any amount of annoyance to save $20, there will be plenty of room.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Distance
You will be in a small minority that, IMO, overvalues small benefits. Right now, I can often buy VERY cheap "Basic" fares on JetBlue and, at the 24-hour mark, CHOOSE a seat (based on how the seat map situation looks). Being able to choose my coach seat further in advance of this isn't worth much, if anything, to me. Why would I pay about $25 PER PERSON for this extremely modest benefit? If you fly AA, Basic Economy gets you a free carry-on bag and, if you want to pay for a seat assignment, you can do it well in advance for something like 15 bucks (fees vary) if you don't have any status. And if you fly AA a few times, you get the credit card that gives you free CHECKED bags and boarding before the general boarding (so no problem EVER storing your bag). It's a no-brainer which airline gives you more bang for your buck.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Excited to see the basic fares get restricted. Not surprised to see Mosaic hanging in the wind, at least for now. The benefits are good for a small subset of people on certain routes. They don't need to cater to VIP customers and thus they don't bother to.
I can't understand this position? If you buy Basic fares, it is a further restriction without further cost savings. If you don't buy Basic, then you are already unaffected by whether or not they have overhead bags.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: Free agent
I like overhead space. I don't buy basic.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
You will be in a small minority that, IMO, overvalues small benefits. Right now, I can often buy VERY cheap "Basic" fares on JetBlue and, at the 24-hour mark, CHOOSE a seat (based on how the seat map situation looks). Being able to choose my coach seat further in advance of this isn't worth much, if anything, to me. Why would I pay about $25 PER PERSON for this extremely modest benefit? If you fly AA, Basic Economy gets you a free carry-on bag and, if you want to pay for a seat assignment, you can do it well in advance for something like 15 bucks (fees vary) if you don't have any status. And if you fly AA a few times, you get the credit card that gives you free CHECKED bags and boarding before the general boarding (so no problem EVER storing your bag). It's a no-brainer which airline gives you more bang for your buck.
but you'd be flying on that awful economy experience of AA.

I don't buy basic economy and I don't check in luggages, so I like having carry on luggage space around where I sit.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:41 pm

I don't understand the reason to ban the Blue Basic passengers from using the overhead bin space if it is available. The Blue Basic tickets board last in group E, it is not like they can use the bin space before all other passengers board. So if the bins are only partially full, Blue Basic ticket holders still cant use them? Seems silly when every airline is desperately seeking to increase load factors right now.

With JetBlue servicing a large portion of its flights as transcons, most basic economy passengers will have a carryon. They are not flying a small segment like they do on Southwest.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:43 pm

delete
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
but you'd be flying on that awful economy experience of AA.

I don't buy basic economy and I don't check in luggages, so I like having carry on luggage space around where I sit.
Blue Basic customers board in the last group, so how are they taking away your bin space? If you force Blue Basic customers into Blue fares, you are not going to have the bin space and get a voucher that will buy you 2 cheese plates.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 8:44 pm

Right now, JetBlue is boarding by mint and mosaic, then by rows. Doesn’t matter if your ticket is Blue Basic, Core, or Plus.

Originally Posted by bgasser
The Blue Basic tickets board last in group E, it is not like they can use the bin space before all other passengers board.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats
Right now, JetBlue is boarding by mint and mosaic, then by rows. Doesn’t matter if your ticket is Blue Basic, Core, or Plus.
I haven't flown from JFK during the pandemic, but of the 5 JetBlue flights I've taken the last few months, there have been zero Mosaic customers. Personally, as a non-status pax on JetBlue, I love boarding by rows. Until these latest changes, JetBlue has been the best airline for occasional, non-status pax. But no longer.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats
No reason B6 can not board Blue Basic last, like they currently do with Mosaic and Mint first. I wonder if downgrading the Blue Basic fare is to better align it with the basic economy AA tickets.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
all I can say is for a 3 day EWR-FLL trip UA wants 29K Saver , AA wanted 17K (1 Stop), DL wanted 14K (1 stop), booked on B6 for 7400 r/t just rebooked 1 flight and kept the flight and saved 2400 pts so my r/t is now 5000 r/t.

UA says (Lies) saying no more award chart, awards are priced according to the fare well how does 29K workout when it was $95 for none BE. What they mean is there is no max they will charge for a tkt but there is a min and since its peak time for FL, it will cost you more even thou its < $100 r/t in Y. AA not much better 12,500 or pay $83 with a stop coming back. DL was the best of the US3.

When everything is combined B6 still is the best and you actually pay the amount in pts according to what the fare is no min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.