Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2021 Mosaic requalification, worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold

Between the devaluation of EMS and competitors dropping change fees, I’m not seeing a compelling reason to requalify for Mosaic via cc spend. The only thing that really interests me are the new London and Miami routes from BOS.

The complimentary EMS seats at checkin are not I’d take advantage of- I’m 6’4” so I need a confirmed seat. I've also noticed that BOS Transcon flights are not price competitive.

Of course there may be future announcements about improved Mosaic benefits, but I’d probably need to start spending in January to hit 50k. Prior to the recent changes I thought Mosaic via cc spend was a bargain.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:11 am

To be fair, you know JetBlue will actually fly those BOS transcon markets. AA/UA hasn't flown BOS-LAX for months. DL hasn't flown BOS-SFO since March. UA has also been absent from BOS-SFO in January. And it also has the best product in the market.

Also, other airlines aren't likely to have close to the number of non-stop destinations JetBlue have or will have out of BOS. Although I guess if you go for AA, you might be able to get qualification miles on JetBlue flights, but that probably will be at reduced rate.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by joachimm
Between the devaluation of EMS and competitors dropping change fees, I’m not seeing a compelling reason to requalify for Mosaic via cc spend. The only thing that really interests me are the new London and Miami routes from BOS.

The complimentary EMS seats at checkin are not I’d take advantage of- I’m 6’4” so I need a confirmed seat. I've also noticed that BOS Transcon flights are not price competitive.

Of course there may be future announcements about improved Mosaic benefits, but I’d probably need to start spending in January to hit 50k. Prior to the recent changes I thought Mosaic via cc spend was a bargain.
I agree, I have done the 50k spend for Mosaic for the past 3 years and I definitely will not be doing this in 2021. With free flight changes for everyone plus increases in EMS seat costs, there is really no reason .Maybe for 2022 ?? Mosaic was always the weakest of the Elite programs anyways and now it is pretty much useless.

Last edited by Tilto007; Dec 31, 2020 at 2:59 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Unless they make the companion thing permanent, I won't be pursuing status this year. I will already have AS MVP by the middle of March, just before they join Oneworld. If they plan on introducing new benefits, they need to announce it by the beginning of March, otherwise it seems (as evidenced by this thread) quite a few people will jump ship.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Unless they make the companion thing permanent, I won't be pursuing status this year. I will already have AS MVP by the middle of March, just before they join Oneworld. If they plan on introducing new benefits, they need to announce it by the beginning of March, otherwise it seems (as evidenced by this thread) quite a few people will jump ship.

-J.
Yeah especially since AS has extended the 50% EQM bonus! This is part of my thinking also, I'll be MVPG soon for 2021-22, and the combo of AS/AA/OW, even out of BOS, is really attractive.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
The reduced levels for requalification make it hard for me not to requalify. Is it 7500 base points for Mosaic, ie $2,500 spent on Mint/base tickets?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by joachimm
Yeah especially since AS has extended the 50% EQM bonus! This is part of my thinking also, I'll be MVPG soon for 2021-22, and the combo of AS/AA/OW, even out of BOS, is really attractive.
Exactly. Even out of NYC I will have plenty of options.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Exactly. Even out of NYC I will have plenty of options.

-J.
I think you are vastly overestimating how much flying aa will actually be flying out of nyc and boston. Remember, they are farming out their flying to JetBlue.

Now if you were to get aa ff status, that would be a different story.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by notthatdeadyet
The reduced levels for requalification make it hard for me not to requalify. Is it 7500 base points for Mosaic, ie $2,500 spent on Mint/base tickets?
Yes, but OP normally qualifies on credit card spend, which isn't reduced — *if* you're qualifying on spend alone.

That said, for this year only, $30k of spend + 4,000 Mosaic qualifying points will also get you Mosaic — worth OP considering if they think they'll fly even a little in 2020.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:10 pm

Been Mosaic for 4 years, and not impressed with how the program has evolved. Customer service quality has gone down, prices have gone up (Blue Basic such a joke), benefits are limited. Outside of the limited-time companion pass, there really is no benefit to being Mosaic for 2021--and notice how this benefit has already jacked up prices for B6 flights; B6 prices are higher than even DL for same routes during the same time.

Customer service friendliness has also taken a hit. Just called the Mosaic line to see if they could extend a goodwill credit that literally expired just today. Not only was the rep extremely brusque and rude, but also she refused to extend or even transfer me to someone else (apparently she was already the supervisor). Fine, don't extend it, but no need to be so rude--all over $15.
moulder3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.