Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Middle Seat Blocking Ending Nov 30?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

According to the B6 website, JetBlue is blocking middle seats till November 30. I am in the process of booking a trip from JFK to LAX from Dec 11 to Dec. 14, I noticed in the seat selection that B6 is still blocking middle seats in December. Has there been any word from JetBlue on when the middle seat blocking will end? I know Southwest announced Dec 1 and Delta is continuing until the first week of January.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:07 am

My guess is that they follow what other airlines are doing and will announce seat blocking until January soon. That's what they have done all along. Reality is they aren't hitting that seat cap on many flights, so may as well keep it in place.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Yes, it's true that B6 is stopping to block middle seats for flights later than 30 November.
They might extend the current policy, or they might follow Southwest Airlines.

For December and later, Alaska and Delta are the only airlines that have confirmed that they would block middle seats until early-January.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, it's true that B6 is stopping to block middle seats for flights later than 30 November.
They might extend the current policy, or they might follow Southwest Airlines.

For December and later, Alaska and Delta are the only airlines that have confirmed that they would block middle seats until early-January.
True, but DL has been secretly increasing F capacity and so has B6... I think Mint can now be booked to 14/16
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Well . . . they aren't REALLY blocking all the middle seats

We booked in August for travel BOS/LAX for Thanksgiving week. Planes were empty when we booked, we took 16A/C for both flights, hoping they'd extend the empty middle seat rule or that no one would book 16B
Looked at the flight map yesterday and saw that 16B was available for booking. Called B6 this AM and was told that "the middle sections of the plane they are selling all seats and 16B could definitely be booked by someone else"

Switch options for the westbound flight were only in rows 27 and 28, so we took 27. Eastbound we could have 17 or back of the bus again. Took 17, although I expect this means there will be 3 people in the row in front of us, which is less than great, but better than being stuffed in a row of 3,
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:51 am

JetBlue is now selling up to 70% of their Y cabin. Which means, some people could end up sitting next a stranger, especially on E90s. This is not so different from what DL is doing (who raised their maximum capacity in economy from 60 to 75%). I assume all along JetBlue will raise the limit to 100% sometimes next year, probably when the other airlines drop their seat blocking.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:08 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by tphuang
JetBlue is now selling up to 70% of their Y cabin. Which means, some people could end up sitting next a stranger, especially on E90s. This is not so different from what DL is doing (who raised their maximum capacity in economy from 60 to 75%). I assume all along JetBlue will raise the limit to 100% sometimes next year, probably when the other airlines drop their seat blocking.
Our flights are not on the E90, so sitting next to a stranger is definitely possible on the Airbuses, too
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:14 am

Alright, capping capacity at 70% is continuing until next year.
https://in.reuters.com/article/insta.../idINL1N2HJ2C5
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Nice that B6 on the seat maps lets you know where they are selling the middle seats. I booked a seat in the back of the plane to keep the middle seat open. It makes for a much more enjoyable transcon flight having that seat open. I am hoping that snack/beverage service comes back soon.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:41 am

so when i booked my flight from jfk to gye in december, on the a321neo, in row 17 A and C, with the middle seat blocked, and we are on the same reservation, i would like to think that seat would stay blocked...
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:53 pm

My experience from flying this past week (first flights since February) is that EMS middle seats are still being blocked. If 17B (which I understand to be an EMS seat) was unavailable for selection, then I believe it will remain that way.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by bgasser
Nice that B6 on the seat maps lets you know where they are selling the middle seats. I booked a seat in the back of the plane to keep the middle seat open. It makes for a much more enjoyable transcon flight having that seat open. I am hoping that snack/beverage service comes back soon.
This was not the case when we booked the travel I mentioned above, back in June
Old Oct 30, 2020, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just selected seats SFO-CUN over New Years, and many (not all) middles were blocked. EMS with a middle blocked is about as good as you can do for social distancing in Y these days.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just selected seats SFO-CUN over New Years, and many (not all) middles were blocked. EMS with a middle blocked is about as good as you can do for social distancing in Y these days.
Very much doubt B6 will continue to block any seats by then, especially with other carriers like WN announcing they won't do it after 11/30
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Not sure whether removal of Social Distance/Seat Blocking post Nov 30 was a good move. First, it makes for a negative perception by passengers. Then, to bring situation worse, new quarantine requirement for NY announced on Oct 31 and possibly other states who have been copying New York's moves. People are less than likely to booking in/out of New York now, even for locals.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.