Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue plans for JFK/BOS <-> LHR service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

Good news, hopefully they will also add FLL at some point.

https://ukaviation.news/jetblue-is-c...qZ2fboOa8pyoxA
cmd320 and Raven_FL like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tilto007

B6 may have actually unknowingly timed this just right.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
B6 may have actually unknowingly timed this just right.
Agreed,sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, there are quite a few LHR slots that are now open
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:06 am

Yep, saw this on Friday. I don't know how accurate their sources are. But if it is accurate, then I would imagine they should be announcing that they are flying to LHR and the starting date prior to the next earnings call. It may come as early as this week. If the first LR is coming in Q1, then they are probably looking for a June start date. Which means they should announce soon.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Tilto007

I think you have wait for A321XLR aircraft to be delivery. They will started FLL-LHR, MCO-LHR in 2023 or 2024 during at that time.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For those of you who have never traveled on a narrowbody for TATL, such experience is kind of open-minded. Even not being an Airbus friend, I have no doubt about the capability of A321LR/XLR, i.e. no more fuel stop.

My concern is spacing and pricing. If B6 stuffs the flight like sardine, no one will be interested. Also - NYC-LHR airfare are not exactly very expensive. So if B6 is charging like others, who will take the flight?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:52 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by garykung
For those of you who have never traveled on a narrowbody for TATL, such experience is kind of open-minded. Even not being an Airbus friend, I have no doubt about the capability of A321LR/XLR, i.e. no more fuel stop.

My concern is spacing and pricing. If B6 stuffs the flight like sardine, no one will be interested. Also - NYC-LHR airfare are not exactly very expensive. So if B6 is charging like others, who will take the flight?
JetBlue does just fine with similar aircraft on transcon flights. JFK-LAX is about 6 hours and JFK-LHR is only about an hour longer, so we're pretty sure plenty of folks will be happy to fly them on this route if the price is right.
bgasser and Tilto007 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:22 pm

also, JFK-LHR is very expensive unless you are looking at R/T Y fares. The O/W Y/J fares are where the legacy airlines really make a whole bundle. On top of that, the R/T J fares are routinely priced over $5000. It's complete obscene. I routinely can fly to Singapore for cheaper than that.

JetBlue is rarely looking to be the low fare carrier on a route.
AutoSlash, cmd320 and James91 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
also, JFK-LHR is very expensive unless you are looking at R/T Y fares. The O/W Y/J fares are where the legacy airlines really make a whole bundle. On top of that, the R/T J fares are routinely priced over $5000. It's complete obscene. I routinely can fly to Singapore for cheaper than that.

I mean, they’ll basically have the best J product on the route as soon as they begin. AA J is basically the same hard product with a far worse soft product and BA J is horrid.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
JetBlue does just fine with similar aircraft on transcon flights. JFK-LAX is about 6 hours and JFK-LHR is only about an hour longer, so we're pretty sure plenty of folks will be happy to fly them on this route if the price is right.
It is a bad comparison. First, except premium classes, TCON has no meal. For international flights, meals will be the minimum amenities. Also - if flight time matters, can you kindly explain why TCON usually starts at $300ish while TATL starts at $500ish?

Originally Posted by tphuang
Agree. That brings my second point - spacing. How sardine will that A321neo be?

Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, they’ll basically have the best J product on the route as soon as they begin. AA J is basically the same hard product with a far worse soft product and BA J is horrid.
That's not true.

Sure - I can give you that Mint is the best premium TCON product. But you seem to forget that for international markets, lounge access is also a part of the hard product as well. Yes - AA Flagship/UA Polaris, even BA lounges at JFK are not as great as most people think. But JetBlue has practically nothing.

You may believe that lounge is not that important. FWIW - when NH introduced SJC-NRT service, one of the stipulations was SJC must have a lounge (i.e. the Club @ SJC). So how can JetBlue compete without a lounge?

As I have said - international markets work differently than TCON. Just because it has the best TCON, it does not mean the best international product.

Beside - keep in mind, pretty much everyone sucks for NYC-LHR anyway.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:30 pm

Honestly, coach seats on any Airbus aircraft is better than a coach seat on a ten abreast 777 and nine abreast 787.
If JetBlue maintains a 32" legroom on regular coach section, and a EMS with its typical 34-36" legroom. They will do fine.
Honestly anything beats coach on BA 787's Y or AA 777's Y.

About lounge, JetBlue talked to me about it before and I am very sure they are aware that lounge will be a "must" for its new international flights.

Carfield
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
JetBlue would have a disadvantage of not carrying connecting pax towards the east after Heathrow unless they make some agreements with other carriers.
So I would still expect, AA, BA, DL, VS, and UA to have more customers on this route. However, it shouldn't be difficult to fill out 2-3 A321LR's every day with O<-->D passengers.

It's also true that premium cabin products for this route are highly expensive when originating from the USA. As tphuang mentioned in his post, passengers originating from EWR, JFK, or BOS generally pay around $4000-5000 for a r/t trip while it's possible to go to Southeast Asia and Africa for the half-price with a better carrier. However, I am not sure how B6 would compete in the Economy cabin where legacy carriers could have prices like $399 r/t and GBP329 r/t for LON originated tickets.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carfield
Honestly, coach seats on any Airbus aircraft is better than a coach seat on a ten abreast 777 and nine abreast 787.
If JetBlue maintains a 32" legroom on regular coach section, and a EMS with its typical 34-36" legroom. They will do fine.
I agree. But that is a big if. A321LR/XLR can handle more passengers. JetBlue will have to think should those LHR jets maintains the A321 Mint configuration or to add more seats. But adding more seats meaning less legroom.

About lounge, JetBlue talked to me about it before and I am very sure they are aware that lounge will be a "must" for its new international flights.
Hopefully, that does not translate to PP lounges.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Carfield
Jetblue could also partner with Priority pass lounges initially. I have no idea what the priority pass lounges in JFK,BOS or LHR are like but I am sure something could be worked out.It would only be for Mint anyways so it is not like they will need a lot of space for 2-3 flights daily.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
A lounge to start would be a very low priority. The importance of having one on such short international flights are greatly exaggerated. You are only talking a 5 to 7 hour flight which is around the same time frame as BOS-SFO depending on the season. If I am originating at SFO I use my Amex platinum to get into the Centurion lounge. That along with other quality lounges are all closed. So no I will not miss some prepackaged junk served in the lounges that are open. I would rather take the more reasonable fare and better product/service any day.

it is not like the terminals are busting at the seams these days anyway. By the time they have longer European flights they will be in the process of knocking down T-7 at JFK and building a terminal extension which gives them far more space for a lounge. At BOS the Air France lounge is one of the better Priority Pass lounges in the US.

With a focus on O/D passengers they will do fine initially without a lounge.
Tilto007 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.