Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

If B6 drops change fees, what happens to Mosaic?

If B6 drops change fees, what happens to Mosaic?

Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
Yup. Just ask CO, NW and US how that went.

The error of the last economic crisis (which did not have a health component) was the carriers cut fares and increased benefits when they should have cut capacity and frequency to keep PRASM manageable. Won't ever happen again.
The last economic crisis happened several years after US (2002), CO (2005), and NW (2005) declared bankruptcy, and midway through pre-planned mergers for each of them. (Their ability to reduce capacity was somewhat complicated by those half-finished mergers.)

Moreover, there's no reason to think that cutting fares and increasing benefits need to go hand in hand, particularly in a world with basic economy. You could see a combination of capacity control, higher fares, and increased benefits.

Arguably, the elimination of change fees for non-basic economy tickets already reflects that. It's an increased benefit targeted at higher spend customers.

Doubt that any of this occurs. UA, DL & AA all face the same issue and yet all of them proceeded. The value of a flexible fare bucket just went away but there will still be those who book in it.
The cynic in me thinks that we are just going to see the spread between basic economy and standard economy increase to the point where the standard economy ticket costs the same as the flexible fare did last year.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
That requires a bidding system or some other IT application, and that it works and isn't always broken (like just about everything else, i.e. the website and the app).
On the upside, they probably also don't have the technology to keep the fare difference for people changing to cheaper tickets

It is also not necessarily a revenue-generator. Would take some fairly sophisticated marketing research to determine whether the people bidding are people who would have paid for the Mint seat if the bid system were not available. If Mint becomes upgrade class, there may be a hit to revenue.
Not untrue, but I would presume that the dozens of airlines around the world who have implemented bidding systems for premium seats have done similar research. And AFAIK few of them have eliminated those sysetms.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:26 am

Until the craziness of 2020 I have earned Mosaic the past 7-8 years by almost exclusively buying Mint tickets.
Now that the no-change fees are off the table as a Mosaic benefit, the only useful Mosaic benefit left to me is the thrill of the (very) occasional empty seat next to me in Mint.

In the past year or two Mint prices had been rising to the point that I sometimes bought UA transcons in biz instead of flying B6. In those instances where I selected UA, it was sometimes a little more expensive, but not as much of a difference in price as they used to be, and the UA seat is better and the lounge is certainly better

Anything done now to devalue the Mint experienece does not seem like a good idea.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kalkat
Until the craziness of 2020 I have earned Mosaic the past 7-8 years by almost exclusively buying Mint tickets.
Now that the no-change fees are off the table as a Mosaic benefit, the only useful Mosaic benefit left to me is the thrill of the (very) occasional empty seat next to me in Mint.

In the past year or two Mint prices had been rising to the point that I sometimes bought UA transcons in biz instead of flying B6. In those instances where I selected UA, it was sometimes a little more expensive, but not as much of a difference in price as they used to be, and the UA seat is better and the lounge is certainly better

Anything done now to devalue the Mint experienece does not seem like a good idea.
Or Maybe it's time for B6 to up its Mosaic game; very weak as it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.