Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

AA and B6 create strategic partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and B6 create strategic partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
...and Southwest and Spirit have something to say about it. https://www.flightglobal.com/strateg...141911.article

-J.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:27 pm

There is going to be slot divestiture at JFK, which will make UA happy. Also going to be slot divestiture at DCA, which will make WN happy. NK gets nothing and nobody cares. This deal is closed. The slot divestiture is going to be enough to satisfy everyone.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Ishrion
American and JetBlue are officially moving forward with the partnership: JetBlue | JetBlue and American Airlines Advance Strategic Alliance Following Regulatory Review
Now that it's official, safe to say this is the beginning of the end of the JetBlue we all loved. While it's obvious why AA wanted this partnership, I will never understand why JetBlue agreed to partner with AA. Especially since JetBlue is about to start flying TATL.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
So B6 and AA are getting in bed but Yahoo claiming UAL wants to buy B6? Like whaaa?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/these...205740633.html
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: Free agent
This is great. Excited to be see what the earning/burning charts look like. These are both of the airlines I keep a big stash of miles with.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by moulder3
Now that it's official, safe to say this is the beginning of the end of the JetBlue we all loved. While it's obvious why AA wanted this partnership, I will never understand why JetBlue agreed to partner with AA. Especially since JetBlue is about to start flying TATL.
Because they are going to be able to interline, so if JetBlue cancels their flights, AA can get you to the destination. Isn't that the biggest complaint people have about JetBlue? That you can't be sure they will fly you to your destination?

They are sharing slots, so AA will be flying a lot less and JetBlue will fly a lot more. And you can redeem your miles on AA's international flights. Huge win for both airlines's FF. They are going to be able to offer better schedule.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because it will improve shareholder value.

The various challenges won't succeed, but are likely to require some concessions. This may mean that the deal isn't quite as good as it was when announced, but the bottom line of allowing interlining (on domestic routes) vastly ups the B6 appeal to businesses which simply want their people at their destination without hassle.

It also serves as a differentiator with WN which does not interline.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage

I disagree I think this a huge win for B6, and it's all about LGA now. They most certainly will move into the brand new Central terminal and gain a ton of new flyers. Shareholder value will increase and the 190's will be put to good use before they are slowly retired.

This just made B6 more relevant
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:10 pm

While there are ups and downs, as someone who flies AA and B6 more than other US airlines, it's nice to not worry so much about splitting my travel. Does anybody have any idea when codeshares will be announced or available for booking and what routes are anticipated?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
While there are ups and downs, as someone who flies AA and B6 more than other US airlines, it's nice to not worry so much about splitting my travel. Does anybody have any idea when codeshares will be announced or available for booking and what routes are anticipated?
They said it will start in q1. Eventually, I would imagine most of routes out of nyc and boston would hav codeshare.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Bobberjet
My first thought, but I worry about the occassionally affordable transcon Mint fares. I thought AA and B6 kept each other in check slightly (was more when mint started) and offer $599 (or less) OW Mint tanscons at certain times.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
My first thought, but I worry about the occassionally affordable transcon Mint fares. I thought AA and B6 kept each other in check slightly (was more when mint started) and offer $599 (or less) OW Mint tanscons at certain times.
They are still not allowed to coordinate on fares. So theoretically, they should still compete against each other on the same route. Although in practice, who knows. What if the AA ff just chose B6 flight more often if they price match each other. That will be interesting to see.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:50 am

I don't see how this significantly affects JBLU's service that customers experience. It is much more about the shrinking of American at JFK and removing it as a major hub compared to DFW and CLT.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:44 pm

In addition to codeshares, very curious how elite recognition/benefits will work as the two have pretty different programs (e.g., single tier Mosaic at JetBlue vs. 18 tiers at American).
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:49 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
American has 18 boarding groups, not tiers. For tiers, they have Gold, and then three different flavors of Platinum

Jetblue would be foolish to not change to a tiered program in 2022. Frontier has a tiered program. Spirit has a tiered program. Southwest has a tiered program. Amtrak has a tiered program. Even Greyhound has a tiered program. When almost all of your competitors (Allegiant's program is not tiered, but is credit card only) have a tiered program, JetBlue is leaving money on the table.

Tiered programs make sense. Lower tiers exist to acknowledge and throw a bone at people who fly with the airline more than the average customer, and higher tiers reward the bigger spenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.