FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   LAX--New focus city (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/2021288-lax-new-focus-city.html)

tphuang Oct 8, 20 6:38 am

there was actually an article on TPG yesterday as LGB base closed and LAX base opened.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblu...opflights-lgb/
"“For us, LAX is the new world and we’re burning our ships,” Laurence told TPGin an interview on Sept. 30."
JetBlue is fully committed to LAX

GW McLintock Oct 8, 20 8:46 am

Such a shame. That said LGB treated JetBlue like .... and I would have left too. Wonder how the City of Long Beach will fund their public library now that they won't get as many curfew fines. Hope Southwest :rolleyes: enjoys the terminal that JetBlue paid for.

-J.

bgasser Oct 9, 20 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 32732181)
Such a shame. That said LGB treated JetBlue like .... and I would have left too. Wonder how the City of Long Beach will fund their public library now that they won't get as many curfew fines. Hope Southwest :rolleyes: enjoys the terminal that JetBlue paid for.

-J.

Not sure how Southwest plans to make LGB work, where B6 could not. I understand that LGB did not want to add customs and immigration, but as a frequent flyer from JFK to LGB to work in Irvine and Laguna Beach, it is a great airport. I could land, grab a rental car, and be on the 405 in 20 minutes, There is no way to do that at LAX.

If B6 could add JFK to SNA, that would make me very happy. SNA seems to have a larger catchment area for passengers than ONT or BUR which will offer B6 transcons again planned for April. I understand SNA hasa short runway, but there should be a way to make it work.

nsx Oct 9, 20 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32736266)
Not sure how Southwest plans to make LGB work, where B6 could not. I understand that LGB did not want to add customs and immigration, but as a frequent flyer from JFK to LGB to work in Irvine and Laguna Beach, it is a great airport. I could land, grab a rental car, and be on the 405 in 20 minutes, There is no way to do that at LAX.

The people mover at LAX will slow travelers down even more, increasing the speed advantage of LGB.

cmd320 Oct 9, 20 6:58 pm

Well, if they ever get the consolidated rental car facility opened at LAX then that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish, assuming you're at the front of the plane.

GW McLintock Oct 9, 20 7:57 pm

If B6 could add JFK to SNA, that would make me very happy. SNA seems to have a larger catchment area for passengers than ONT or BUR which will offer B6 transcons again planned for April. I understand SNA hasa short runway, but there should be a way to make it work.

SNA is on the radar from what I understand, but won't happen until the A220s come online. It might be possible with a NEO but I think it is too much capacity for a seemingly small station. As discussed in another thread, the A320 likely can't do it without a significant weight restriction.

Southwest, via connections of course, offers a LOT more destinations out of LGB than JetBlue ever could. Nonstop of course won't be many, but with their through-city operation you could have a much more direct route to Orlando (for example) than having to go through JFK. I expect Southwest will prosper at LGB. Too bad their presence in NYC is almost nonexistent (not that I especially want to fly them across the country anyway).

-J.

Carfield Oct 10, 20 1:38 am

Just curious what is JetBlue's gate situation now at LAX?
Before Covid-19, sometime my Mint flight would land early but ended up delayed because of lack of gate.
LAX is already notorious enough for the gate situation and I am honestly a bit concerned especially when East Coast has weather issues!

Carfield

GW McLintock Oct 10, 20 7:50 am

I think I just read somewhere they have 3.5 gates (they have three and share a fourth).

-J.

tphuang Oct 10, 20 8:33 am

Originally when they moved into T-5, there were 4 AA gates, 3 NK gates, 2 B6 gates and 4 CUTE gates. When I tracked it a while back, I regularly saw them doing 1/4 to 1/3 of their departures out of CUTE or even NK gates.

More recently, a reconfig is supposed to add 1 AA gate and 1 CUTE gate. I don't know the status of that. My guess is that JetBlue has picked up a new gate as a result of 1 new CUTE gate. Going forward, they will likely pick up the 3 NK gates when NK moves out to MSC. I think once the other ULCCs move out, they will have 6 gates and be able to share 4 CUTE gates with AA and HA (depending on whether HA stays around or now). Given AA's LAX reductions, I think AA will only be using it's own gates. If HA sticks around, JetBlue will get most of the usage on those 4 CUTE gates. If HA gets forced out, they might be able to claim all 4 of those CUTE gates overtime. They said in some interviews that they are looking to expand to 75 flights a day by 2025. I don't see how JetBlue can get there without being able to use most of those CUTE gates. They can probably max out at 85 flights a day if HA gets pushed out and they claim all of the CUTE gates. Anything beyond that would depend on future terminal construction at LAX.

ISTFlyer Oct 10, 20 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 32737138)
Originally when they moved into T-5, there were 4 AA gates, 3 NK gates, 2 B6 gates and 4 CUTE gates. When I tracked it a while back, I regularly saw them doing 1/4 to 1/3 of their departures out of CUTE or even NK gates.

More recently, a reconfig is supposed to add 1 AA gate and 1 CUTE gate. I don't know the status of that. My guess is that JetBlue has picked up a new gate as a result of 1 new CUTE gate. Going forward, they will likely pick up the 3 NK gates when NK moves out to MSC. I think once the other ULCCs move out, they will have 6 gates and be able to share 4 CUTE gates with AA and HA (depending on whether HA stays around or now). Given AA's LAX reductions, I think AA will only be using it's own gates. If HA sticks around, JetBlue will get most of the usage on those 4 CUTE gates. If HA gets forced out, they might be able to claim all 4 of those CUTE gates overtime. They said in some interviews that they are looking to expand to 75 flights a day by 2025. I don't see how JetBlue can get there without being able to use most of those CUTE gates. They can probably max out at 85 flights a day if HA gets pushed out and they claim all of the CUTE gates. Anything beyond that would depend on future terminal construction at LAX.

American is mostly not using their own T5 gates at this time, sometimes they use it for Eagle flights as the Eagle terminal is closed. Otherwise, 95% of their operation out of LAX should be out of Terminal 4. This was the case when I visited LAX in July and September.

By the way, to clarify, is Spirit moving out of LAX? Never heard of this.

tphuang Oct 10, 20 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 32737387)
American is mostly not using their own T5 gates at this time, sometimes they use it for Eagle flights as the Eagle terminal is closed. Otherwise, 95% of their operation out of LAX should be out of Terminal 4. This was the case when I visited LAX in July and September.

By the way, to clarify, is Spirit moving out of LAX? Never heard of this.

Sorry if i wasn't clear. The original plan was for aa to consolidate at terminal 4 and 5. Kick everyone else out to msc, midfield satellite concourse. Now, JetBlue managed to keep themselves in t5 and grab a bunch of gates due to aa cuts. I would imagine everyone else is still moving out to msc. The only other airline who might stay is ha, because they are really opposing the move.

ISTFlyer Oct 10, 20 11:17 am

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 32737430)
Sorry if i wasn't clear. The original plan was for aa to consolidate at terminal 4 and 5. Kick everyone else out to msc, midfield satellite concourse. Now, JetBlue managed to keep themselves in t5 and grab a bunch of gates due to aa cuts. I would imagine everyone else is still moving out to msc. The only other airline who might stay is ha, because they are really opposing the move.

Thanks for clarifying,

I thought that the Midfield Satellite Concourse would be an expansion of TBIT and only used by international carriers. Nice to know that some US carriers would also operate from there and it makes sense to kick HA and NK over there ( maybe allow them to use the original TBIT gates when empty ) and allow expansion for B6 at Terminal 5.

GW McLintock Oct 10, 20 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 32737138)

The important question is now what makes a gate CUTE, and what makes one CUTER than another?

If we were to rate them on a scale of 1-10, I would rate the gates at LGB a solid 8.5. At LAX T5, a 6.

Nobody likes an ugly gate. ;)

"JetBlue would like to be the first to welcome you to OMNI..."

-J.

ISTFlyer Oct 10, 20 6:51 pm

I guess that CUTE should be something like "Common Use Terminal Expansion" or something similar to that. I am not sure.
But I understood that tphuang was mentioning the common gates located at T5 which are used by multiple airlines at the same time.

N830MH Oct 11, 20 1:17 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 32737470)
Thanks for clarifying,

I thought that the Midfield Satellite Concourse would be an expansion of TBIT and only used by international carriers. Nice to know that some US carriers would also operate from there and it makes sense to kick HA and NK over there ( maybe allow them to use the original TBIT gates when empty ) and allow expansion for B6 at Terminal 5.

Right! JetBlue will allow expansion at entire T5. They will allow more flights. If they adding more gates space available. I won't know about Spirit or Hawaiian. If they move to MSC. B6 will takeover the entire T5. There is a few FIS gates at T5. If they add more domestic flights or more new international flights, as well.