FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Refund for flights to states with quarantine requirements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/2020321-refund-flights-states-quarantine-requirements.html)

adeleswart Jun 24, 2020 3:40 am

Refund for flights to states with quarantine requirements

We have nonstop flights to Florida in August. Because of the high infection rate in NY, NJ and CT early in the spring, Florida requires a 14 day quarantine. Now CT is discussing a quarantine for travelers from Florida because of the increased infections there.

Our travel covers 5 days, and quarantine is impossible. We need groceries, gas, rental car, hotel, etc.

Will we be eligible for a refund on Jet Blue if we would be in violation of regulations? Thanks in advance.

LondonElite Jun 24, 2020 4:06 am

Originally Posted by adeleswart (Post 32480965)
We have nonstop flights to Florida in August. Because of the high infection rate in NY, NJ and CT early in the spring, Florida requires a 14 day quarantine. Now CT is discussing a quarantine for travelers from Florida because of the increased infections there.

Our travel covers 5 days, and quarantine is impossible. We need groceries, gas, rental car, hotel, etc.

Will we be eligible for a refund on Jet Blue if we would be in violation of regulations? Thanks in advance.

I don't know JetBlue's specific policies on refunds currently, but a refund (beyond the fare rules) is unlikely to be given because a quarantine order at either end of the trip makes you disinclined to travel.

garykung Jun 24, 2020 4:49 am

Originally Posted by adeleswart (Post 32480965)
Will we be eligible for a refund on Jet Blue if we would be in violation of regulations?

Unless B6 changes its policy to accommodate, no.

Airlines are interstate businesses and are generally exempt from complying state law. Specifically, ADA explicitly preempts states from regulating prices, routes, or services of airlines.

As bad as it sounds, because the order does not prevent B6 from operating its services, B6 is under no obligation to provide a refund, as B6 is exempted from complying state contract law.

Out of my Element Jun 24, 2020 5:03 am

Rules in June and rules in August may be flipped 180 degrees. I expect you will have free movement in FLA, but will have to quarantine when you return

Often1 Jun 24, 2020 6:14 am

No, all you get is travel credit for future use. But, in no event should you cancel until your travel date. If B6 either cancels your flight or substantially changes its timing, you are then due a full refund.

The B6 waiver for Covid-19 for tickets booked before June 30, is

"For voluntary cancellations, funds will be issued as a JetBlue Travel Bank Credit, valid for 24 months from the date of issuance. "

You can do that whatever quarantine rules Florida chooses to have in effect on your date of travel. The fact that your travel may be impractical (no way to predict what the rules will be in August) does not mean that it is prohibited. Even if prohibited, that would not obligate B6 to issue a refund if you choose to cancel.

Do check your travel insurance carefully before cancelling and accepting a credit. Depending on what the specifics of your policy, it is possible that if travel is prohibited or impractical, that you are covered. Will take a careful read of the policy contract, not a phone answer from an agent.

49holding Jun 24, 2020 8:34 am

credit but no refund

Im in the same boat, but waiting it out. There has been rumors that Floridas mandatory quarantine for travelers from the tri state area will be lifted in early July, however with NY and Ct threatening Florida travelers a quarantine , De Santis might be pissed enuf to extend his quarantine orders...Would not be thrilled to quarantine in Ny for 14 days, tho I am retired, its doable for me

RWPrincess Jul 11, 2020 9:56 am

The Florida quarantine has now been extended to September 5 for those entering the state from NY, NJ, CT.

In addition, NY has a quarantine in place for anyone entering the state from FL and several other hard hit states. The list changes daily.

So basically, you'd have to quarantine 14 days or duration of the trip (whichever is shorter) on either direction. I'm personally holding off on going to Florida until these are lifted.

Often1 Jul 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Does not appear that the B6 rules have changed. Choices are to wait it out and hope for a cancellation or substantial schedule change, either of which means that a refund is in order OR to voluntarily cancel just before the flight and take the credit.

adeleswart Jul 12, 2020 2:56 am

Schedule change of 3 hours allowed us to cancel. The rep was very wiling , no issues.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions to be patient.

dplantz Aug 7, 2020 3:33 pm

The quarantine requirement in Florida for arriving from CT, NY, and NJ was canceled on August 4th. You can travel normally now from those States.

Brighton Line Aug 10, 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dplantz (Post 32589190)
The quarantine requirement in Florida for arriving from CT, NY, and NJ was canceled on August 4th. You can travel normally now from those States.

You just can't go home after visiting Florida and not be quarantined.