Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

With UA at its Weakest, B6 should make a Move in SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll keep it short and sweet and to the point. With B6 needing a west coast city to call a hub and UA being as weak as they are, B6 should make a major push into SFO. With whatever gate space they can get their hands on, they should wage an all out assault on SFO. Now is the time. I don't necessarily know if battling the US3 on the east coast is really the way to go. Focus on UA at SFO. In my opinion, they would be successful.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:07 pm

I can't imagine any smart leader would think that making a drastic change during a global pandemic in an industry that required government money just to stay aloft would be a good idea. And I'm guessing all the JetBlue employees who took voluntary leave to avoid furloughs wouldn't be keen on seeing the company spend money "assaulting" a competitor right now, either.
bgasser likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DLSuites
With B6 needing a west coast city to call a hub and UA being as weak as they are, B6 should make a major push into SFO.
That would be stupid and unwise to do so, especially now.

UA's position at SFO is not domestic, but international, i.e. the gateway to Asia. Unless B6 intends to buy plenty of widebodies and applies for Asian routes, nothing is going to impact UA's SFO position. (Note - IIRC, B6 previously mentioned about a proposed London route. Where is it now anyway?)

Also - even without UA, you still have AS, which inherited SFO as a hub from VA.

So in the unlikely event that B6 want to expand massively at SFO, B6 will have to spend a lot of resources that is not guarantee to win. Then why not betting at OAK and/or SJC instead?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Jet Blue has many better options for a west coast hub than SFO. Look at LGB. They have very little competition, 56% market share and an established presence. Yet you see Jet Blue pulling back there. You would need to see LGB really ramp up before Jet Blue considers adding a 2nd west coast hub.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
LGB is completely irrelevant at this point. B6 will grow LAX and SFO--first as they are doing now by expanding transcons and eventually to connect the dots. AS is relatively weak from both LAX and SFO going East and UA is a much less formidable competitor. It may be risky to take charge in the midst of a pandemic but if it works, it could very well be a lot less costly than doing it in boom times. Certainly better than wasting billions for VX. Timing is everything in the airline business and you have to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves when it fits within the long term strategic plan. There are opportunities to be had--but it will mostly be moving people East. It will likely be slow and steady in the West as many intra-West routes from LAX/SFO already have a lot of competition and are not ripe for disruption.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There are opportunities to be had--but it will mostly be moving people East. It will likely be slow and steady in the West as many intra-West routes from LAX/SFO already have a lot of competition and are not ripe for disruption.
This. Unless they plan to expand SFO to the size of JFK or BOS, they will still be as irrelevant as ever at SFO (currently they are basically the least relevant airline on the west coast, aside from maybe sun country, because of an entirely east-bound network with direct service to only a few hub cities). Any west-coast route they could possibly launch would certainly face steep competition from United, Alaska, and Southwest (out of SJC/OAK), and unless they are willing to lose money hand over fist on every single route, Southwest and/or Alaska will likely beat them on price, and UA will def beat them on frequency. Even if they match UA's eastbound-network from SFO, they likely won't get much traffic--UA will keep all the lucrative business contracts, so the best they can realistically hope for is competing in the leisure market against AS and WN (and that's an uphill battle).
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:20 pm

Airline traffic is only 25% of 2019 levels and WN and AA have flooded the market with capacity. The name of the game right now is preserving liquidity and trying to achieve close to a zero cash burn as possible by year end. Expansion when yields have collapsed does not make sense. Every plane B6 (and every other airline) puts in the air, costs the airline money. DAL and UAL strategy of waiting out the storm seems better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.