Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which jet blue card

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

which jet blue card

We have the jet blue card that we pay $99 for. since not planning to fly in the near future. how do we change it for the one without a fee? don't need the free luggage your get with the more expensive card.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:35 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Just call the number on the back of the card and they can take care of it for you. One suggestion though... Instead of calling and asking to downgrade the card straight-away, you might try starting off with asking to cancel the card. The reason is that they will almost certainly offer you some sort of perk to keep the card, and one of these might be just be waiving the annual fee one-time on the Plus card. This way, you can keep all the benefits of the Plus card, without having to pay the fee. If they don't offer to waive the fee or some other similar concession that you find valuable, you can always still cancel then. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:02 pm
Suspended

I am thinking of downgrading/cancelling my JetBlue Plus Card as well. Problem is, it currently has a negative balance due to several cancellations/refunds. One reason to keep the free version for me would be because it does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:38 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I am thinking of downgrading/cancelling my JetBlue Plus Card as well. Problem is, it currently has a negative balance due to several cancellations/refunds. One reason to keep the free version for me would be because it does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.
You can ask them to send you a check if your balance is negative.
keisari likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Just call the number on the back of the card and they can take care of it for you. One suggestion though... Instead of calling and asking to downgrade the card straight-away, you might try starting off with asking to cancel the card. The reason is that they will almost certainly offer you some sort of perk to keep the card, and one of these might be just be waiving the annual fee one-time on the Plus card. This way, you can keep all the benefits of the Plus card, without having to pay the fee. If they don't offer to waive the fee or some other similar concession that you find valuable, you can always still cancel then. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
Yes, I second this. Always call to try cancel it first. You will probably get one year without the annual fee or credit for the annual fee.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:22 am
Suspended

What happens if you cancel with a negative balance?
Old May 21, 2020, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

thanks!
Old May 21, 2020, 1:16 pm

What happens if you cancel with a negative balance?
I think you should get a check from them.

Generally, canceling credit card hurts your credit scores, so I would always try to move it to the no fee card vs canceling outright. I would only cancel if I have no intention to use it again. Which is the case when I finally canceled the AA card.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:03 am

Some banks refund the negative balance after a couple of months. They should wave your fee or next fee if you call to cancel. Just call to cancel and say refund my balance and see what they offer.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You can ask them to send you a check if your balance is negative.
I did that with a large negative balance on a United Chase card. Got the check in less than a week. They would not do a direct deposit to a bank account but no big deal. I would also recommend the OP to call Barclay bank and ask them for a fee waive or if not, then downgrade to the fee free card.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by keisari
I did that with a large negative balance on a United Chase card. Got the check in less than a week. They would not do a direct deposit to a bank account but no big deal. I would also recommend the OP to call Barclay bank and ask them for a fee waive or if not, then downgrade to the fee free card.
What would the argument be for a fee waiver?
Old May 22, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
That you would otherwise downgrade to the free card, or cancel your account altogether.

-J.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
That you would otherwise downgrade to the free card, or cancel your account altogether.

-J.
"Waive the fee or or else!..." ?
Old May 22, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
"Waive the fee or or else!..." ?
Basically. In some cases they are willing to waive it just to keep the revenue they make from your usage of their card. Alternatively, they may offer a retention bonus of a certain number of points.

-J.
keisari likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The argument is that if you want to keep my business during these difficult times for all of us, give me something in return for my loyalty
Otherwise you can cancel the card and next year decide on reapplying or look for another card
I think the airlines and their credit card businesses need us more than what we need them at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.