Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue becomes first U.S. airline to make flyers wear face masks

JetBlue becomes first U.S. airline to make flyers wear face masks

Old Apr 28, 20, 5:15 am
  #1  
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,088
JetBlue becomes first U.S. airline to make flyers wear face masks

JetBlue was one of the first U.S. airlines to mandate crew to wear masks while working. And now, it’s the first to require the same from passengers.

This policy goes into effect on May 4, 2020, will be applied throughout all steps of the passenger journey — from check-in all the way through deplaning. JetBlue plans to remind passengers of this policy both before their flight and in the airport terminals.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ic/3037756001/
MileageAddict is online now  
Old Apr 28, 20, 10:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 566
So while American Airlines will be handing out masks to customers (but doesn't require them to be worn), JetBlue won't be handing out masks to customers but will require them(?!?) What happens if your mask rips between flights or gets damaged at the airport? Can you even purchase disposable masks at the airport and (more importantly) if this is something JetBlue is requiring, why aren't THEY providing them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for requiring masks for the foreseeable future, but did they pause to think this through? This sounds like something a crappy airline like Allegiant would announce! You're now required to have [item x] for our flight, however we won't provide it!
kimberlyrose likes this.
moulder3 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 11:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PDX, CRW, DCA, NYC
Programs: DL DM/2 MM, AA, AS, UA, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Gold, SPG Gold, Avis First, Hilton Silver
Posts: 55
No, no. You're missing the point. This will be a new source of ancillary. Yo can either bring your own mask or they'l will sell you one for $5.
PDXLexus is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 2:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,092
I think this is the right policy, but they should provide masks free of charge at check-in for those who do not have it. Granted, there are things you can do to cover their face like a mask, but it would make people feel better if they actually provide them at the terminals.

Also keep in that mind that JetBlue is not like AA, NYC and Boston are the 2 most infected places in the country. A recent antibody test for NY showed 22% of tested NYC residents have had coronavirus. So yeah, everyone around me better be wearing a mask. If they can provide me a hazmat suit for a low charge, I would totally buy one.
tphuang is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 3:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State
Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by PDXLexus View Post
No, no. You're missing the point. This will be a new source of ancillary. Yo can either bring your own mask or they'l will sell you one for $5.
So can I remove my mask to drink a beverage or snack or pills or whatever? Iím not antimask but so far this seems like it will be more like TSA is to actual security prevention.
will2288 likes this.
ucfjoe is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 3:19 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,772
Originally Posted by ucfjoe View Post
So can I remove my mask to drink a beverage or snack or pills or whatever? I’m not antimask but so far this seems like it will be more like TSA is to actual security prevention.
It is 100% security theater:

Suitable face coverings are made of cloth that fits snugly against the side of the face, are secured with ties or ear loops, include multiple layers of fabric, and allow for unrestricted breathing, per the CDC, the airline wrote...


https://www.boston.com/travel/corona...virus-pandemic

If there is UNRESTRICTED BREATHING is will help squat against ANY airborne particle.
REAL masks such as N95 should be worne for a short amount of time BECAUSE it restricts breathing. And ONLY when you place yourself in CLEARLY dangerous situation that cannot be mitigated. Wearing those masks for too long and you may faint.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 4:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,092
It's not 100% security theater. mask prevents our breathing from hitting others rather than stopping virus from getting in unless we do it so tight that there is no space for it to come in. So if everyone is wearing a mask, it should be a lot harder to infect. But if 90% of people are wearing masks and 10% are not. Those 10% are endangering everyone else. Especially since so many infected people have no/little symptoms.
tphuang is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 4:27 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,772
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
It's not 100% security theater. mask prevents our breathing from hitting others rather than stopping virus from getting in unless we do it so tight that there is no space for it to come in. So if everyone is wearing a mask, it should be a lot harder to infect. But if 90% of people are wearing masks and 10% are not. Those 10% are endangering everyone else. Especially since so many infected people have no/little symptoms.
Coarse masks DO NOT prevent nanoscale particles (which COVID-19 is) from passing through your masks and landing on any surface. Most masks that people wear are coarse. Especially those homemade ones.

We all know why B6 is doing this: to cover themselves for liability claims in case anyone gets infected on one of their planes.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 5:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,533
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
It's not 100% security theater. mask prevents our breathing from hitting others rather than stopping virus from getting in unless we do it so tight that there is no space for it to come in. So if everyone is wearing a mask, it should be a lot harder to infect. But if 90% of people are wearing masks and 10% are not. Those 10% are endangering everyone else. Especially since so many infected people have no/little symptoms.
It is absolutely 100% security theater, as all B6 is requiring is that passengers wear a "face covering". They are not requiring passengers to wear even surgical masks - in fact they go out of their way in the PR to restate CDC's recommendation that any effective mask such as surgical or N95 should be reserved for healthcare professionals. This is 100% utter BS.
desmondo, grrizzli, dcas and 1 others like this.
gengar is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 7:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,625
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Coarse masks DO NOT prevent nanoscale particles (which COVID-19 is) from passing through your masks and landing on any surface. Most masks that people wear are coarse. Especially those homemade ones.

We all know why B6 is doing this: to cover themselves for liability claims in case anyone gets infected on one of their planes.
you do not breath out actual virus but when you cough, yell, sneeze etc you essentially spray out watery mist with virus on those particles.. that largely gets caught by most face coverings - some better some worse - think sneezing in your elbow
This is the reason masks are extensively used in asia in particular by those in customer service, food prep etc etc - they are not doing it to address liability obviously.. it's just another preventative tool just like washing hands

It will not eliminate the risk of virus spread it but it will incrementally reduce it and it's a reasonable temporary measure that may allow us to transition out of current madness...
Cat88L3 likes this.
azepine00 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 8:05 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 14,772
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
It will not eliminate the risk of virus spread it but it will incrementally reduce it and it's a reasonable temporary measure that may allow us to transition out of current madness...
We are in agreement then. No 100% reduction in viral spread.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 9:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
It is absolutely 100% security theater, as all B6 is requiring is that passengers wear a "face covering". They are not requiring passengers to wear even surgical masks - in fact they go out of their way in the PR to restate CDC's recommendation that any effective mask such as surgical or N95 should be reserved for healthcare professionals. This is 100% utter BS.
we have orders here in NJ for everyone to wear masks when they go outside. Clearly, the idea is that people who are issuing this believes it will reduce the amount of droplets that will get released into the environment. There is a reason all the Asian countries are doing it.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0403132345.htm

It obviously cannot catch everything. That's why I would feel a lot better if they institute a no-middle seat policy. Along with aircraft's air filtration system, that hopefully would significantly reduce the likelihood of transmission on aircraft.
tphuang is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 9:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,533
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
you do not breath out actual virus...
Just FYI, there is still debate about possibility of aerosol human-to-human transmission of COVID-19.


Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
we have orders here in NJ for everyone to wear masks when they go outside. Clearly, the idea is that people who are issuing this believes it will reduce the amount of droplets that will get released into the environment. There is a reason all the Asian countries are doing it.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0403132345.htm
The link you provided supports my point, not yours. Perhaps you're in agreement and just don't realize it.
gengar is offline  
Old Apr 28, 20, 10:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, B6 Faux-saic, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Posts: 7,085
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
22% of tested NYC residents have had coronavirus
And what percentage of residents in total have been tested? This statistic is meaningless without context.

I am a NYC resident who has not been tested. My brother had the corona virus and has already recovered.

I think this is a silly move. You must wear a mask until we give you a beverage and a snack. Then you must enjoy those through the mask, for if you remove the mask, the purpose of wearing it is defeated. I would not have expected a PR stunt like this from JetBlue, but the old JetBlue we used to love has been gone for years now.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Apr 29, 20, 1:03 am
  #15  
formerly smoaky
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 253
Remember that outside of narrow circumstances masks are more to protect others than yourself. If everyone on a plane is wearing one it will cut down in the chance of transmission. Some in this thread seem to think only of themselves, when it's better to consider yourself as one of a hundred potential vectors. Coincidentally taking this view on a societal level is the only way that masks work -- everyone has to cover up. That said, of course it's better to wear an N95 -- for you.
nycflyer17 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: