Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

More cuts/consolidation but some good news, too

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In the 5 DOT-designated metro areas JetBlue serves (BOS, NYC, WAS, LA, SF) operations will consolidate and 8 stations will see all flights suspended. The remaining 7 airports will see further frequency cuts, with JFK/EWR down to 30 and SFO down to just 2.

On the plus side, JetBlue now has a re-protect interline deal with AA and AS and hopes to keep it alive even post-COVID chaos.

More details in the story on my site: https://paxex.aero/2020/04/deeper-cu...g-for-jetblue/.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Yikes. They are really downsizing.

This is really the time for the E190 to shine. Yet two are now parked at MZJ, with many more A320s on the way. I would think it's not the time to waste cycles on the mostly-empty A321.

-J.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:10 pm

They would probably downsize even more if it was not for the CARES requirements. I think this is the most they can cut to while still meeting the requirements for the grant money. Right now, airlines goals are just to stay afloat. If B6 can get its burn rate to under $10 million, it's going to come out of this looking pretty good.

also, great reporting on the interlining with AS and AA. That could be a non-trivial improvement for B6 customers. If this gets extended to past the current crisis (and who knows how long this will last), I could see some deeper partnership with AA. I think AA will lease some of the JFK slots to B6 coming out of this if JFK still has slots. Not really sure how much AA gets out of this.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm not going to disagree in re AA (and AS, for that matter). Particularly if there's a longer-term "hit" to traffic that makes some frequencies into money pits, I'm wondering if we might not see AA look into a codeshare situation in the Northeast.

In the interim, given the 3x/week requirement on a number of routes for all carriers, are we potentially looking at AA and B6 "splitting days" on some routes in the Northeast?

By the way, the main issue with the smaller planes is that they can't really do the TCON routes. Remember all of the jokes over the years about B6 having a secret hub somewhere out west because of weather-induced refueling stops ;-) Now, there is the practical option to pick somewhere that B6 has a significant presence as-is (Chicago, Austin, and perhaps Salt Lake rank high here) and simply run a batch of TCON flights as one-stop/no-change-of-plane operations and refuel/interchange pax there. VX did this at DAL as a workaround on the DCA/LGA distance limits (and it was one of my favorite features of the airline since I could usually save like $400-500 on an F ticket doing that, and end up with all three meals catered for the day to boot if I was going to SEA [DCA-DAL, DAL-LAX, LAX-SEA]). I don't know if that would push the distance down enough to use regional jets, but it would definitely allow them to cycle A321s out and use A320s instead.

(It is also quite possible, btw, that they're actually still selling a decent number of Mint seats on those flights...given the choices out there with the majors downgauging, if I had to do a TCON trip the four "roomettes" would probably be my first choice for a flight...and on Sunday morning, I'm seeing five seats sold in Mint JFK-LAX. Pulling Mint might actually get problematic in terms of conserving hard cash if there are a lot of bookings with it that were already in the system.)
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Just had a flight (BOS-ORD) cancel and got moved to the same flight on the day prior since they canceled all flights on that day. Pretty unbelievable that they went from 6x/day down to 3x/week. Anyway, I called the Mosaic line to ask about interlining to AA and the agent had no idea what I was talking about and said that she had not received any communication about that. Is there something I can reference when I call back and try again to get me moved over? Or should I just HUCA until I find someone who knows about it?
Old May 3, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
JetBlue only has an interline agreement with AA at DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.