Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Odd response when I asked about if my flight was canceled to Jamaica

Old Mar 21, 20, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL

So supposed to leave April 4 JFK-MBJ as I was looking online I see my flight was no longer showing up as on sale and it was off the calendar. I asked via Facebook messenger if my flight was canceled and if I get a refund. They said it is still on but Jamaica requires a 14 day mandatory quarantine on arrival. I was only going to be there 5 days so obviously Iíd miss my return fight. If jet blue knows there is a mandatory quarantine why wouldnít they cancel the flight that seems reckless!
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Some people on the flight may be Jamaicans returning home?
seawolf, Cat88L3 and priyarainelle like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Some people on the flight may be Jamaicans returning home?
decent point but still they should let all Americans on the flight know about the mandatory quarantine and offer a refund instead of a credit in my opinion
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:21 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

As per JetBlue's stated policies, you are eligible for a travel credit of the amount you paid if you cancel. You asked if your flight was cancelled. It was not. They gave you accurate information based on what you asked. While the mandatory quarantine period is relevant, policies are changing by country on an almost daily basis, and JetBlue is just try to stay in business at this point, so I'd give them a bit of a pass about not having their ducks 100% in a row when communicating about this stuff. These are not normal times, so folks need to adjust their expectations accordingly.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
As per JetBlue's stated policies, you are eligible for a travel credit of the amount you paid if you cancel. You asked if your flight was cancelled. It was not. They gave you accurate information based on what you asked. While the mandatory quarantine period is relevant, policies are changing by country on an almost daily basis, and JetBlue is just try to stay in business at this point, so I'd give them a bit of a pass about not having their ducks 100% in a row when communicating about this stuff. These are not normal times, so folks need to adjust their expectations accordingly.
however if they cancel the flight which they still
might that should equate a refund not a credit?
bgasser likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:03 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post
however if they cancel the flight which they still
might that should equate a refund not a credit?
Yes, you should get a refund If they cancel the flight therefore itís best to wait until the last minute to cancel. That said, many airlines have been trying to push customers into accepting a credit vs. a refund when they cancel the flight. I donít think itís been reported that JetBlue has been taking this tactic, but itís just something to keep in mind.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.......and there could be USA citizens and residents eager to leave Jamaica to fill the return leg.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
.......and there could be USA citizens and residents eager to leave Jamaica to fill the return leg.
good point my point is they shouldnít allow people who are not returning home knowingly travel into a mandatory quarantine in this wild scenario it would be nice to offer a refund if requested. Not ever place requires a mandatory quarantine. I guess Iíll wait and see
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
good point my point is they shouldnít allow people who are not returning home knowingly travel into a mandatory quarantine in this wild scenario it would be nice to offer a refund if requested. Not ever place requires a mandatory quarantine. I guess Iíll wait and see
Do you know that there is a global pandemic happening where millions are sick and thousands of people have died so far? Borders of countries are closing, travel disruptions are happening everywhere, people can't breathe because they need ventilators...Seriously, ease up and cut Jetblue some slack. You aren't the only one being inconvenienced *eyeroll-le sigh*....

I place it on the traveler to do his research about the international travel destination and the quarantine/entry requirements. You can check on the US. State Department site and the site of your intended country as a start. The U.S. govt has already said that a country's policy/procedure can change easily and abruptly since they issued the Level 3 warning last week. This info isn't always communicated quickly to the airlines. We are currently at a Level 4 advisory.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...al-travel.html - There is a link for future reference. Basically everyone is in a wait and see situation. This pandemic isn't going to blow over easily. These aren't good times to travel internationally, period.
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
Do you know that there is a global pandemic happening where millions are sick and thousands of people have died so far? Borders of countries are closing, travel disruptions are happening everywhere, people can't breathe because they need ventilators...Seriously, ease up and cut Jetblue some slack. You aren't the only one being inconvenienced *eyeroll-le sigh*....

I place it on the traveler to do his research about the international travel destination and the quarantine/entry requirements. You can check on the US. State Department site and the site of your intended country as a start. The U.S. govt has already said that a country's policy/procedure can change easily and abruptly since they issued the Level 3 warning last week. This info isn't always communicated quickly to the airlines. We are currently at a Level 4 advisory.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...al-travel.html - There is a link for future reference. Basically everyone is in a wait and see situation. This pandemic isn't going to blow over easily. These aren't good times to travel internationally, period.
No need to be rude and obnoxious. I did my research about the travel advisories so your complaint is uncalled for. I just find it irresponsible for the airlines to keep flying in the scenario with the high travel advisory, mandatory quarantine and the pandemic. Hope you feel better about yourself now. I am sure you never sought advice from here or asked a question before. So according to you since there is a pandemic I canít ask/talk about my situation? This is exactly the point of this board if you havenít noticed.
bgasser likes this.

Last edited by remphish1; Mar 21, 20 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:10 pm

Programs: No status anymore
decent point but still they should let all Americans on the flight know about the mandatory quarantine and offer a refund instead of a credit in my opinion
Your question was answered in post #2 . Your opinion is not something the airline really cares about, the rules are usually this: you cancel -get credit, airline cancels - you get refund.....as to your,attitude....Donna Summer, then flip it and drag it out.....SUM MA DOWN NOW....then speed it up Simmer down now!
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bradhattan View Post
Your question was answered in post #2 . Your opinion is not something the airline really cares about, the rules are usually this: you cancel -get credit, airline cancels - you get refund.....as to your,attitude....Donna Summer, then flip it and drag it out.....SUM MA DOWN NOW....then speed it up Simmer down now!
however now the airline just told me When I spoke with them on im if they cancel I will get a credit thatís not normal should be a refund.
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:36 pm

however now the airline just told me When I spoke with them on im if they cancel I will get a credit thatís not normal should be a refund.
Probably but welcome to a not normal situation.

Countries are still figuring it out, airlines are too. There are some people that would happily sit through a 2 week quarantine... at some level if I knew they had WiFi I could do that and miss zero days of work and if I had somewhere I absolutely needed to be elsewhere in the world I would suck it up.

Thatís why airlines are still flying somewhat even with many cancelling 80% of their routes if not higher... probably will be higher before itís all said and done, but some travel is still worth the risk.

If my 80 year old dad catches this, damned right Iím flying to Virginia in my case. Next flight out, and I will self isolate for a month after that if need be.

Last edited by Revelate; Mar 21, 20 at 7:43 pm
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:41 pm

Airlines today are continuing to fly as long as they can operate safely, somewhat profitably and in response to demand. What happens after you step safely off the aircraft (mandatory quarantine) is not their responsibility, nor should it be unless you booked an inclusive air+hotel+tour package. Your trip is very risky at best. Giving impacted passengers airline credit vs cash refund ensures that they can stay in business a bit longer. You never know, they might need to come back for you after your quarantine is over... ;-)
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Asking for legal advice from a phone agent is simply a poor idea. The contract which you agreed to in Section 37(C) expressly provides that in the case of a cancellation, you may have a refund. Thus, if your flight is cancelled, ask for a refund. You can call as many times as you wish, but the result won't change.

2. If the flight does operate, you are not entitled by contract to any more than provided for in the fare rules for your ticket. However, B6 has voluntary made a concession and the current policy is published on its website. Again, calling won't change that.

3. It is the passenger's sole responsibility to know and abide by the entry formalities of the destination (and where applicable, transit). This includes both visa and health rules, including Covid-19 quarantine. While it may make no sense for you to travel only to face a 14-day quarantine, others may differ. Each of you makes your own decision based on the research you do for yourself.

Bottom line is that the situation could very well change between now and April 4. There is no advantage in cancelling before April 2-3 because there is a decent chance that the flight will be cancelled by B6, entitling you to a refund rather than a credit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: