Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Overhead Bin Full Questions?

Old Mar 7, 20, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I fly internationally from US to Mexico and vice versa a lot. Im American. I fly with either jetblue, American or delta depending on the price. I have not encountered once time when the overhead bins were full but does this happen with jetblue ever? I ask this because i always buy the cheapest basic economy on delta or American Airlines where you board last and haven't had this issue. But from what people tell me on this forum, very common on American Airlines? What about delta? Does Jetblue not have this issue because when you book a flight, its basically first class, the comfortable seats or just basic? I know with delta and American Airlines, there is basic economy and main economy.

Because when you board a jetblue flight, pretty much all the people who board who pay the cheapest fares board together? That compared to delta and American Airlines where they have main go first and then basic economy? I know main is like 30 dollars or a bit more but my main concern is access to overhead bins because i carry a large messenger bag which has my laptop and electronics and i obviously cannot have it gate checked... since electronics tossed like luggage will get broken. I never had a gate check happen but does this happen with jetblue? My thinking is jetblue almost never but American Airlines yes? And delta sometimes?
Old Mar 8, 20, 12:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
This happens often with JetBlue, especially on the A321 and refurbished A320. Blue Basic ticket holders will board in the last group.

A messenger bag should be able to fit under your seat. Otherwise, I imagine it is small enough that they will be able to find some space in an overhead bin somewhere on the plane.

Many Delta planes have been refurbished to include larger overhead bins, and AA chose larger bins on their A321neo. JetBlue has elected to go with traditional overhead bins (instead of, for example, Airspace XL or A350-style bins, or even Zodiac ISIS) so there continues to be insufficient onboard storage for every customer.

-J.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:41 am
Original Poster

So you are saying that Jetblue has a higher chance of less overhead bin space than Delta and American Airlines?

/
But what about how with Jetblue, if you book economy... well everyone who books economy is economy. But delta and America Airlines has the Main vs Economy/Basic though? I thought that made a difference so it doesn't? The thing is i haven't had one time when there was no overhead bin space and i am always in the last group to board even though i try to be near the front when this happens. Obviously if you have no carry on luggage, then you can just board at end with no issue without having to worry about overhead bin space.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:52 am
Original Poster

So basically if you are booking with economy, its actually better to book jetblue as oppose to delta or American Airlines or it isn't if your concern is overhead bin space? Because with delta and American Airlines, you have option of economy vs main cabin. But with jetblue, there isn't that option correct? So if thats the case, then just make sure you are near the front of the line with jetblue? Because after the first people who are first class go... aren't all the groups in Jetblue going to be the same if you buy economy? You can only buy first class or economy on jetblue right? I know there is those extra comfort seats but do they go ahead first of economy? So its basically first class, then extra comfort seats... then economy on jetblue? So isn't like 80% of the jetblue flight going to be economy then? But i do recall there are groups like A-D etc but isn't everyone economy still? With delta and American Airlines, you have the people who are main cabin go first and then basic economy etc. So im curious if jetblue is best when it comes to you booking economy and you choosing between them vs delta or American Airlines?
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:56 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
JetBlue has a basic economy option Blue Basic boards in the last group and overhead space will likely be full.

Yes, I am saying on Delta you are less likely to have to gate check your bag.

I would take whoever is cheapest; after that I'd take Delta for their higher operational reliability. I've shifted my travel away from JetBlue.

-J.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer here is the same as it is for the other locations where you have cross-posted. If you book the basic (cheapest) fare on AA, DL, or B6, you will (absent status) wind up in the last boarding group and thus with the greatest chance of not finding OH space for a bag too large to fit under the seat in front of you.

As also explained elsewhere, even on aircraft with larger bins, it is possible that on any given flight on any given day that there will not be space left in the OH by the time those at the end of the process board. This consists of people assigned to the last groups, e.g. the "basic" fares as well as those who arrive late to the boarding process due to connections or simply being late.

Is there a particular problem in your case?
bgasser likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Hey there. I meant jetblue has blue basic for all economy right? But delta and American Airlines is different because they have the main cabin vs economy? Yea i know... i sort of consider main and economy to be similar with delta and American Airlines. So that is reasoning on why i thought Jetblue has more overhead bin space... so that is incorrect? Because in a jetblue flight, what percentage of seats are economy? I mean it has to be like 80% or so? So wouldn't jetblue basically come down to okay make sure you line up at front of line when since all economy are last group? Or are they not?

Well i actually thought it terms of reliability for overhead bin space, jetblue would be number 1... then delta and American Airlines. But its delta, then American Airlines and then jetblue?

Well i was just curious about this since i always purchase the economy ticket when booking with any of these 3 airlines. But with delta and American Airlines, you can do main cabin. But jetblue, you basically don't have this option right? But you could if you pick those extra space?
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:56 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Basic economy operates the same at all of the airlines. There's no separate "poor cabin" in the back of the plane. You get a main cabin seat but you are the last to board. "Main cabin" and "economy" are the same thing.

Delta has larger overhead bins on most of their planes so they can physically accommodate more luggage in the cabin than on JetBlue or American.

-J.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jerry90210 View Post
Hey there. I meant jetblue has blue basic for all economy right? But delta and American Airlines is different because they have the main cabin vs economy? Yea i know... i sort of consider main and economy to be similar with delta and American Airlines. So that is reasoning on why i thought Jetblue has more overhead bin space... so that is incorrect? Because in a jetblue flight, what percentage of seats are economy? I mean it has to be like 80% or so? So wouldn't jetblue basically come down to okay make sure you line up at front of line when since all economy are last group? Or are they not?

Well i actually thought it terms of reliability for overhead bin space, jetblue would be number 1... then delta and American Airlines. But its delta, then American Airlines and then jetblue?

Well i was just curious about this since i always purchase the economy ticket when booking with any of these 3 airlines. But with delta and American Airlines, you can do main cabin. But jetblue, you basically don't have this option right? But you could if you pick those extra space?
No.

As pointed out to you in your cross-posted threads, these basic fares are not a separate class of service. You sit in a standard economy seat and your bag goes into the same OH as the person paying full freight. But, because you are boarding later in the process, you stand a greater chance of not being able to carry your bag on and having it checked to your final destination. As you are coming from Mexico, you will claim it before Customs in any event,

What exactly is the specific issue? What happens if you do have to gate check a carry-on?
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What exactly is the specific issue? What happens if you do have to gate check a carry-on?
A lot of people prefer to avoid doing this for whatever reason.

If there is medication or medical equipment, an exception will be made. Same for baby formula or expensive electronics.

I feel like we're going in circles.

-J.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
FWIW, I almost always sit near the front of the cabin. I rarely see them gate check more than a handful of bags after boarding. If the flight is full or close to it, they usually ask for volunteers in the gate area and they usually get them. So that helps with available bin space during boarding.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First

Last edited by djk7; Mar 10, 20 at 1:38 pm Reason: Sorry, wrong thread
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: JB,VA,UA,,USA,DL,AA
When flying JetBlue 95% of the time I purchase EMS seats usually row 6 which boards earlier than group boarding. The last 6 flights when I reached my seat there wasn;t an inch of space in the overhead. I've had to go further back to store my luggage. The problem is the G/A and F/A do nothing about customers coming on board with 3 or 4 pieces and then take the entire overhead for themselves. One time a girl sitting in row 7 used the entire overhead for the passengers in row 6 and no one said a word. When another pax inquired why she had so much luggage up there she told him to shut the hell up and mind his own business.

JetBlue is extremely lax in this. If they would just stop chargng/increasing checked bag fees this problem could be alleviated. Just my opinion
RWPrincess likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: